Comic books/Graphic novels/Manga Reading Challenges discussion

General Discussions > Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Hi everyone! My name is Lu :)
Here you can introduce yourself.

Oh and tell us what your favorite Comic books/Graphic novels/Manga?

message 2: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Hi Sam!

Thanks for joining :)
I can't wait to read Black Butler!

message 4: by Tamzin (new)

Tamzin (tamzinc) Hi there!

My name is Tamzin and here are a few of my favouritest (word of the day, thanks Sam :p) manga:

Psyren
Beelzebub
Aphorism
Fullmetal Alchemist

Picking is so difficult o.O

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Hi Ronyell!

Oh I must try batman!

Welcome!

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 77 comments Kelly wrote: "Hi Ronyell!

Oh I must try batman!

Welcome!"

Thanks Kelly! There are so many good Batman titles out there! I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

message 8: by Diayll (new)

Diayll (mothergamerwriter) | 1 comments Hi all and thanks for the invite! I love Witchblade, Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, Casshern Sins, Rosario + Vampire, and many more! If you like, stop by my blog and join our Manga/Graphic Novel/Video Game Novel Challenge for 2013! There are prizes and we have lots of fun!!

http://empyreanedge.com/mgv-challenge...

Diayll @Mother/Gamer/Writer

message 9: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Thank Diayll will check it out :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, I'm Wednesday. I love doing challenges. I am the main mod and creator of 3 manga groups and we do challenges all the time.

My favorite manga:
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Volume 01 by CLAMP
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 (Fruits Basket, #1) by Natsuki Takaya
Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1) by Chie Shinohara
Nana, Vol. 1 (Nana, #1) by Ai Yazawa
Kimi ni Todoke From Me to You, Volume 1 by Karuho Shiina

message 11: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
That is awesome Wednesday! Glad to have you :)

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Welcome everyone!

Wednesday, I just read up a little on Fruits Basket, I must read that!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

It starts off light and comedic, but gets deeper and more endearing as the series continues.

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Wednesday wrote: "It starts off light and comedic, but gets deeper and more endearing as the series continues."

I'll definitely have a look at it!

message 15: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Heather!

message 16: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Mike. Love challenges as a way to broaden what I read.

My favorite manga are Cross Game, "Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms", Claymore, Monster and Drops of God.

Favorite comics/GNs are Midnight Nation, The Infinity Gauntlet, Kingdom Come, Astro City, I Kill Giants, Brian Q Miller's Batgirl and Kraven's Last Hunt.

message 17: by H (new)

H (goldiestar) | 1 comments Glad to see you Lu here. I love graphic novels and comics. I haven't read manga yet, but I love Sailormoon like Heather! :) And Fruits Basket.

My favorite graphic novels are Fables, Fairest, and Sandman :)

message 18: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Mike and Goldie :)

message 19: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 77 comments Mike wrote: "Hi, I'm Mike. Love challenges as a way to broaden what I read.

My favorite manga are Cross Game, "Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms", Claymore, Monster and Drops of God.

Favorit..."

Hey Mike!! Glad to see you in this club too!!! :D

message 20: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Ronyell wrote: "Hey Mike!! Glad to see you in this club too!!! :D "

Hi Ronyell! You too. :) Should be fun.

message 21: by Vicky (last edited Mar 25, 2013 08:04PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) Hi! I'm Vicky.

I read a ton of manga when I was in high school, got busy through college and just never got back on track again. I'm hoping some challenges will help me get motivated to read some more!

Some of my favorites are...

Mangas: Mars, Vol. 1, Wild Act, Volume 1

Comics: Lady Mechanika, Mind the Gap #1 and honestly almost anything Image puts out, though I'm sadly quite behind in my reading due to the fact that I'm broke. :P

Graphic Novels: Maus, Laika. I'm also really into Graphic Novel Tie-Ins for TV Shows and Games that I like; Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise Part 1, Dragon Age: The Silent Grove, etc.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what libraries are for! I love libraries, except that my library has this horrible problem of manga and DVD's being stolen. Almost every time I go to look for a series various volumes are missing. But, that's where my manga Kindle app comes in. I can download and read whatever fantranslated manga is in the database. So, i can use it to make up for stolen manga at the library. However, I still prefer having physical copies.

message 23: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Vicky!

message 24: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 77 comments Mike wrote: "Ronyell wrote: "Hey Mike!! Glad to see you in this club too!!! :D "

Hi Ronyell! You too. :) Should be fun."

Yep!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Welcome everyone!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Welcome Melissa!

message 28: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Melissa :)

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Kelly and Lu welcoming me ^^

message 30: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (juvia_winter) Hello. I am Jamie. Thanks for the invite. I love doing challenges, so this should be fun. I read mostly manga. Some of my favorites are Sailor Moon, Black Butler, Kamisama Kiss, Black Bird, Fullmetal Alchemist.

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Welcome Jamie!

message 32: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Awesome, welcome!

message 33: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) Hi everyone! (and thank you to Lu for inviting me to join!) My name is Lexie and I love comics/manga/graphic novels/manhwa/manhua...okay any form really.

Favorite Manga:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01: Edward Elric may be my perfect guy.
Red River, Vol. 1: Ancient cultures and mythology! Sign me up!
From Far Away, Volume 1: Another love of life.
Golden Book: also by Kyoko Hikawa, this is part of the 'Chizumi & Fujiomi' trilogy I love (not released domestically yet)
Basara, Vol. 1: technically anything Yumi Tamura puts out is a favorite.
Clover: I think its CLAMP's best work.
Mars, Vol. 1: This series is almost perfect to me.

Comics:
The Life Story of the Flash: This is really an all inclusive anything that has Barry Allen in it I love selection. (this extends to most things Bart Allen is in...ignoring the New 52 incarnations)
Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile: Love Love Love this.
A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering: Also love love love this.
Young Justice: A League of Their Own: The very first series I began collecting.
Fathom Volume 1: My second series.
Tiny Titans, Vol. 1: Welcome to the Treehouse: so cute!
Runaways Deluxe, Vol. 1: So good!
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8, Volume 1: More love!

Everything Else:
In These Words, Volume 1: Chinese/English Doujinshi...not for the faint of heart.
The Other Side of the Mirror, Volume 1: Oh jo Chen...one of her only series domestically avail.
Womanthology: Heroic: So Much Love.
Full Frontal Nerdity 1: Big Book of Epic Fail: webcomic I adore.

So...yeah. thank you :)

message 34: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Lexie!!

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Great Lexie! I love that list!

message 36: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
May I have a piece? :)

message 37: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
How about a nice grass piece? :P

message 38: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) CAKE! ::coughs::

Thank you guys for welcoming me :D

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Garcia (sgarcia2) | 17 comments Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm really excited to start reading some new stuff! I've recently been reading a LOT of manga and I've blown through quite a few good series. Currently, I'm reading Hellsing (YAY). I just finished Black Butler and Full-Metal Alchemist.

My favorite mangas/comics include:
Freakangels (web comic by Warren Ellis)
FMA
Black Butler
Death Note
Black Cat
+Anima

*Hugs*!

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Welcome Sarah!

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Garcia (sgarcia2) | 17 comments Kelly wrote: "Welcome Sarah!"

Thanks! ^_^

message 42: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Welcome Sarah :)

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Garcia (sgarcia2) | 17 comments Lu (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "Welcome Sarah :)"

Thank you :D

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Garcia (sgarcia2) | 17 comments Sam wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hi! My name is Sarah and I'm really excited to start reading some new stuff! I've recently been reading a LOT of manga and I've blown through quite a few good series. Currently, I'm..."

Thanks! I've been reading a lot more now that classes are over and I have a bunch of free time, haha, so I've got a lot of new favorites :D

Athena Shardbearer | 11 comments Hello I'm Athena.

I have too many favorites. But I am really liking Vinland Saga, also my favorite webcomic is Romantically Apocalyptic.

message 46: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Hi Simeon! Hi Athena!

Welcome to the group. :)

message 47: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wright (kevin_wright) | 1 comments Hi, I'm Kevin. My favorite comics are too numerous to list. I'm a bit more cautious about which manga series I read and I'm looking to broaden my horizons. I need a new manga series now that Negima is over. I see this group is reading or just finished reading Vinland Saga. I just finished Planetes and loved it. I’m curious to see how Makoto Yukimura went from space travel to Vikings and dragons. I tend to gravitate toward harem comedies like Love Hina, Mahoromatic, He Is My Master, and period dramas, especially samurai stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, Samurai Executioner, and Path of the Assassin. I’m also slowly working my way through Monster. I’m not a huge fan of mystery or horror generally, but I’m a fan of good stories in any genre. I’m looking for good recommendations and discussions.

message 48: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Hi Kevin, welcome to the group!

Haven't read Planetes yet but I love Vinland Saga so far. Monsters seem to be the latest trend in harem comedies, and both Rosario Vampire and Monster Musume are quite good. Rosario actually gets quite serious and plot driven in the second series, and Monster Musume is more risqué/ecchi than typical of the genre. A Bride's Story is a phenomenal period piece about tribal life in 19th century Asia, although it's slice of life / romance, not action based. If you end up liking Monster the same creator has some other great stuff, including Pluto.

Athena Shardbearer | 11 comments Mike wrote: "Hi Simeon! Hi Athena!

Welcome to the group. :)"

Thank you! I love the Vinland Saga. I read it about a month ago and planning on reading Vol. 2 soon.

message 50: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Hello all. My name is Samantha. I got into reading comics/graphic novels and manga starting with the Buffy series. But now I have learned to love a great many different ones. I utilize my library for all my reading materials and sometimes have to be on a very long waiting list, for The Walking Dead Compendium 1 I had to wait almost 6 months. I am currently enjoying Y The Last Man, Fables, and Locke and Key in-between my Buffy fixes.

« previous 1