The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

Were the Reapings ever random?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steve Morin Were the reapings ever REALLY random? No one ever sees the slip of paper that is pulled, nor do we know if every name is in the bowl. All of the papers may have the same name on them.

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't put anything past the Capitol.

But, for arguments sake, if the Capitol did choose who went into the arena, why would they have picked Prim and Peeta? Wouldn't Gale and Katniss have been the best pair to make an example of for blatant disregard of the hunting restrictions? And why Rue? She isn't a threat to the Capitol or their agenda. Unless they wanted to make a different kind of statement - 'we will take even your sweetest and most precious'.

CATCHING FIRE SPOILER ALERT: However, I don't think the Quarter Quell reaping in Catching Fire was random AT ALL. I think that was a very deliberate move by the Capitol, specifically, by Snow.

Sophie Yeah, I wouldn't put that past the capitol but Melissa is right. What would be the point?

Elayna I think they were truly random. the Quater Quell definitely wasn't, but the randomness of the reapings increased the fear levels. It would help the Capital's cause. Anyone could be chosen, whether they were good citizens or lawbreakers.

Books for Badger I think it could go either way.
If it wasn't random, picking Prim and Rue would make sense because they are the most gentle and innocent and the Capitol choosing them to die shows it's not just the upstarts that they have control over, even being a "good" citizen doesn't matter to them?

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa One more thought about this ... IF the Capitol rigged the reaping, they wouldn't allow people to volunteer because that would override all their conspiracy efforts.

I would go out on a limb and say that I don't think the Capitol rigged the 74th Hunger Games, but they did manipulate the 75th Games. :) My final answer.

Isabella (All Da Ladies Luv Leo) Thomas Melissa wrote: "One more thought about this ... IF the Capitol rigged the reaping, they wouldn't allow people to volunteer because that would override all their conspiracy efforts.

I would go out on a limb and ..."
Hm... true about the volunteer thing.

Sami I'm not saying I think all of them were rigged, but the volunteering concept does not give them complete loss of control

For example (view spoiler)

message 9: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Sami wrote: "I'm not saying I think all of them were rigged, but the volunteering concept does not give them complete loss of control

For example [spoilers removed]"

why would Peeta volunteer for him for?(just wondering)

message 10: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia :)

message 11: by Sami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sami I'm pretty sure it was to keep Katniss alive