The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Asian themed fantasy.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LegalKimchi (new)

LegalKimchi | 112 comments Does anyone know of any good Asian themed fantasy? aside from tales of the otori, I haven't seen any. suggestions?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments I loved Storm Dancer by Jay Kristoff...steam punk alternate history Japanese fantasy :)

message 4: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 314 comments I am not sure about this but maybe worth a look.Palanquin Of Heaven

message 5: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2256 comments Oh, and Kara Dalkey wrote several -- Genpei, a historical fantasy set in Japan, and the Goa trilogy, about a Portuguese missionary in 15th century India, amongst others.

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison Virtue | 8 comments I have really enjoyed Tales of the Magatama, a trilogy by Noriko Ogiwara that currently has two books translated into English, Dragon Sword and Wind Child and Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince. Each of the two is a standalone in the same Japanese Fantasy universe, with small elements tying the two together.

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:39PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Alex wrote: "I haven't read it, but River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay is supposed to be excellent, and he's a fantastic author so I would give it a shot."

Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay

message 8: by Dharmakirti (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:20PM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Last month's book club pick, Bridge of Birds A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was was very enjoyable and quite funny. It is the first book in the series The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox.

Guy Gavriel Kay's Under Heaven is very good. I am looking forward to reading his upcoming River Of Stars

message 9: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I enjoyed Lian Hearn's "Tales of the Otori" series. Set in a feudal Japan setting, with an interesting fantasy element. The stories were slow, they didn't drag though. I'd say stately.

message 11: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments The Empire trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts, set in the world of Kelewan from Feist's Midkemia novels, are interesting. The Tsuranuani Empire is socially and politically similar to Tokugawa-era Japan, but the religion is Aztec-like. On top of this, there are quirks of the setting: all larger animals are hexapedal, and Kelewan doesn't have much metal, so most weapons and armour are made of bamboo, semi-precious minerals, and so on. It's a refreshing variation on all the "just like feudal China/Japan, but with real magic" stories.