Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > Goodreads Choice Award CHALLENGE - 2013 to 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 361 (361 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
Here is the space to discuss the GCAC!

- How many of the nominees and winners of 2012 do you plan to read?

- Of the books you read as part of the challenge, did you think they deserved to be nominated?

A little stats for you : we have 126 participants for a total 2873 books (We can do it!!). The average challenge is of 22 nominees and winners. 1 challenge is already completed!

For those who want to participate to the challenge, you can register on the home page of our group.

message 2: by Anima (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:33PM) (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I take part in the challenge, and I have ten books to read (I've already read five). I've decided on this number as some of the books do not look interesting to me, and because I think some were chosen because of the great popularity, not necessarily because of great literary value :). What's more I like reading books of mystery and historic mystery genre, so I want to have some time to do it as well.

I chose for the challenge books that were nominated and won in their category as well as nominees, but as I read usually one book from each category it's difficult for me to judge whether they deserved to be chosen, I do not have the comparison.

All in all, I like this challenge, because I can read books from genres I have not read before. Thanks to our group and the challenge I discovered for myself Riordan's books and I'm delighted by them :)

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Driste-macdonald | 6 comments I am brand new to this group, and I am wondering where I get the list of 2012 nominees and winners so that I can set my goal. Thanks for the help.

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Hey Sandra, you can find them here http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards

That page lists the winners and you click on each book that will take you to the list of runners up :)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Driste-macdonald | 6 comments Thank you so much Lynn.

message 6: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
This was one of the first pages I came across when joining goodreads ..... I promise it will keep you busy for quite a while! There's a lot of books to look at :)

message 8: by Jojo (last edited Mar 21, 2013 05:12PM) (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I've challenged myself to 35 of them and so far I've read 10. According to the counter on the group page I'm 32% behind schedule...I guess I should get reading!!!

*Edit* I just went through my challenge bookshelf and I've read 13 books and I'm actually only 24% behind!

message 9: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
I think the behind schedule bit is slightly off because the date is from January 2012, so that means we're more than half way through the challenge and it's worked out on averages. Does that make sense?

message 10: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I think the same way, because I've read 5 out of 10 books in my challenge, and I'm still 11% behind the schedule while it's just March and still nine months till the end of the challenge.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "I think the behind schedule bit is slightly off because the date is from January 2012, so that means we're more than half way through the challenge and it's worked out on averages. Does that make s..."

Yes that's the reason! I'm on track even though I read 60% of my goal.

I set the date to January 2012 because I didn't want to exclude the books we previously read and which were nominees/winners.

So far I read 9 books out of the 15 I challenged myself to.

1*: 0

2*: 0

3*: 2 Darth Vader and Son by Jeffrey Brown Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

4*: 6 The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3) by Rick Riordan Defending Jacob by William Landay One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

5*: 1 The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I can tell that so far I'm pretty happy with the selection of GCA and looking forward to reading more for this challenge.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Ooohhhh, that's a good way of organising it Vanessa. I might have to edit my post.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Ooohhhh, that's a good way of organising it Vanessa. I might have to edit my post."

Thanks Lynn! I think I will update as I read!

message 14: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm interested in your opinion about The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman , Vanessa, I've got it on my TBR list for the challenge too.

message 15: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Anima wrote: "I'm interested in your opinion aboutThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman, Vanessa, I've got it on my TBR list for the challenge too."

I loved it. It's historical fiction set in Australia. It's not fast paced like Divergent or anything YA. The story is beautiful, poetic but not boring at all. And the story stayed with me for a while. I recommend it.

message 16: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Vanessa wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Ooohhhh, that's a good way of organising it Vanessa. I might have to edit my post."

Thanks Lynn! I think I will update as I read!"

Yup, that's what I plan to do :)

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Mar 22, 2013 06:46AM) (new)

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
I didn't read any of the choice award winners last year, so I've been "behind" in my reading so far. However, I only put 6 books for my challenge because I wanted to read other books as well (maybe some 2013 books, so I can vote this year!) and I think I'll be over that. I have so many of the winners and nominees on my TBR shelf.

So far I've only read two:
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food from My Frontier - 3* Great pictures and explanations. The recipes mostly weren't things I'd make.
and
Cinder - 4* Great twist on a classic fairytale. Definitely a YA book.

I'm almost through The Long Earth, which I'm not really impressed with it. I'm not sure why it won, but maybe other people will feel differently.

message 18: by Jojo (last edited Mar 22, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I went through the lists of nominees and winners and I added any that I would like to read to my shelf for this so I have 57 in total, but I'm aiming for 35.

The Fault in Our Stars
Boy and Bot
The Duckling Gets a Cookie!?
The Third Wheel
The Mark of Athena
Defending Jacob
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Insurgent
Home Front
Gone Girl
Wicked Business
Fifty Shades Freed
Deadlocked
The Witness
Bared to You

message 19: by Aimée (new)

Aimée (aimeeemia) | 11 comments I'm thinking of reading 20 of them.

It was also one of those things that I first encountered upon joining this group, but I didn't really mind it until now. What a shame!

But I'm happy that even though I just digested it today, most of my read books have made it to the top of their own categories.

The Fault in Our Stars is truly a 5-star for me. I've always adored John Green.

message 20: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments Vanessa wrote: "Anima wrote: "I'm interested in your opinion aboutThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman, Vanessa, I've got it on my TBR list for the challenge too."

I loved it. It's historical fiction set..."

Thank you for your recommendation, the book is third on my TBR list when it comes to gcac challenge and I'm waiting impatiently to start reading it. :)

message 21: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I'm almost through The Long Earth, which I'm not really impressed with it. I'm not sure why it won, but maybe other people will feel differently. "

I think that might have to do with the Terry Pratchett popularity. I'm in two minds as to read this or not, I've read two of his books so far and not enjoyed either.

message 22: by Anima (last edited Mar 22, 2013 08:36AM) (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm in one third of the book and so far it''s totally different from all the discworld books. If Pratchett wasn't mentioned on the cover as an author, I would never have thought it was his book... different style, notions, characters, without any of his typical sense of humor or way of carrying narrative

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I'm almost through The Long Earth, which I'm not really impressed with it. I'm not sure why it won, but maybe other people will feel differently. "

I think that might have to do wi..."

I "read" it as an audiobook, which I don't usually do, so that may have affected my opinion, but I hate to say that I found most of it kind of boring. There didn't seem to be a real point to the book, though I kept waiting for it. I only gave it 2*, which is not usual for me.

message 24: by Keely (new)

Keely | 20 comments I had only set a goal of 5 because alot of the winners were books I had already read. Now that I know the nominees count too, I may up my goal. I am browsing the list now.

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Niederer I have chosen 3 that I have already read, but my count still says 0. Also, I have tried to access the overall list several times and it just freezes my screen. Any help?

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Courtney wrote: "I have chosen 3 that I have already read, but my count still says 0. Also, I have tried to access the overall list several times and it just freezes my screen. Any help?"

In order for the books to count towards your challenge, they need to have been read within the correct time period and be put on your challenge book shelf. Make sure the date read is set, if you don't set it, they won't count it.

I don't know about the list freezing. I haven't run into that issue.

message 27: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Courtney wrote: "I have chosen 3 that I have already read, but my count still says 0. Also, I have tried to access the overall list several times and it just freezes my screen. Any help?"

As Kristie explained the date read should be set but you should also put them in a shelf of your choosing (the one you indicated when you signed up for the challenge). I hope it works!

message 28: by Keely (new)

Keely | 20 comments I had a hard time looking at the list too. It froze my screen 3 times. I finally gave up and will try later.

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 1 comments I had already read 9 of the books before joining the challenge so I've set a goal of 15- I'll try to stretch myself a little.

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Apr 20, 2013 02:20AM) (new)

Lynn | 4120 comments Mod
Another one added to my list / goal, A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison .

I gave it 4 stars; a good read but because of the subject matter I expected to feel more emotion, it all felt a little detached for me.

message 31: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments ok how do i join this challenge? i went to the list, do i count the ones I already read?? also How many do i choose
Thanks

message 32: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Hi Stacy,

You join the challenge here. Then you decide the number you want to read and yes they include the ones you already read.
You should assign those books to a specific shelf (I named it "gcac") and indicate your shelf's name on the challenge page. Every time your read a book from that shelf, it will count. The reading starting date is January 2012 so the ones you already read will count too.

I hope my explanations are not too confusing... :)

message 33: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments ok i did join the challenge. Should I choose books from the list?

message 34: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments also it started Jan 2012? not 2013?

message 35: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Yes you should choose books from the nominees/winners list. http://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards

Yes Jan 2012 so that the books you already read count. The books were all released in 2012 so might have read them prior to the nominations.

message 36: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments Got it thanks alot. i just updated and i read 3/20. Geeze..

message 37: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Stacy wrote: "Got it thanks alot. i just updated and i read 3/20. Geeze.."

You can do it!

message 38: by Stacy (new)

Stacy  okun (stacyo40) | 180 comments Vanessa wrote: "Stacy wrote: "Got it thanks alot. i just updated and i read 3/20. Geeze.."

You can do it!"

Well now that i updated correctly i am on track at 13/20...I knew i read alot on that list!!

message 39: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Stacy wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "Stacy wrote: "Got it thanks alot. i just updated and i read 3/20. Geeze.."

You can do it!"

Well now that i updated correctly i am on track at 13/20...I knew i read alot on that li..."

Awesome!!!

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments I challenged myself to 18 books because there r that many on my tbr list from the choices - but dont think I will accomplish this. Most of my choices fall under best fiction and best historical fiction.

message 41: by Jane(Pixie) (new)

Jane(Pixie) (janepixie_mitzkewich) | 33 comments My challenge goal is one fistion a week. starting from 01/13: 22 books in 18 weeks or
22 book of 52
Jamrachs' Menagerie '01
The Book Thief '01
Lunatic '01
The Art Forger '01
Sternmen '01
Bel Canto '01

The Healinng '02
City of Thieves '02
Informationist '02
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel '02
Lost City of Z '02

Call the Midwife, the Memoire '03
The Guersey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society '03
Wild '03
Supremes and the Earls' All Eat '03

Ghost Shadow '04
Ghost Moon '04
Language of Flowers '04
Moon in the Mango Tree '04
Ghost Night '04
Looking for Alaska '04
The Timekeeper '04

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments Jane(Pixie) wrote: "My challenge goal is one fistion a week. starting from 01/13: 22 books in 18 weeks or
22 book of 52
Jamrachs' Menagerie '01
The Book Thief '0..."

Pixie - that is quite a list and you can of course create any personal challenge you want but I think the Goodreads Choice award challenge has to be from any of the 2012 nominations only.

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Apr 29, 2013 06:14PM) (new)

Sarah | 1467 comments At 5 out of 18 only. I know I will at least make 14 if I keep with the monthly group reads alone so I think I can do it. Some others I want to add that I have already are The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani and Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

I am hoping for some group read we will nominate the pullitzer prize winnerThe Orphan Master's Son

message 44: by Jojo (new)

Jojo (jojosbooknook) | 717 comments I'm just over half way through my challenge!! Yay!!

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I'm exactly half way through mine! :)

message 46: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Good job every one!!!! :D

message 47: by Brightness (new)

Brightness (brightnessreads) | 429 comments I too want to read The Orphan Master's Son

message 48: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments I'm getting to the half of my challenge, but I've changed the amount of books from 10 to 20 as I became gripped by different reads and decided there were more books that I'm interested in then I thought :), that's the magic of our group and GR :)

message 49: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Anima wrote: "I'm getting to the half of my challenge, but I've changed the amount of books from 10 to 20 as I became gripped by different reads and decided there were more books that I'm interested in then I th..."

I'm sure you can do it Anima. We still have 8 months to accomplish the challenge! :D

message 50: by Anima (new)

Anima Miejska | 1698 comments :D Thank you, Vanessa

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8