2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > Kat's Kozy Korner

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by BattyKat (last edited Apr 15, 2013 04:11PM) (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) These are ALL of my challenges, so far. (I think... clearly I keep forgetting to add/update things.) Yes, some of the books are for multiple challenges.

I started these challenges in Mid March, and so far there are 71 books listed. I am not counting any books I had already finished in 2013 before I joined the challenges.

Listopia Challenge
Goodreads 100 (24/100)
1. Pillars of the Earth
2. Hitchhiker’s Guide
3. Animal Farm
4. Ender’s Game
5. Fahrenheit 451

Everyone Should Read Once (27/100)
1. 1984
2. Kite Runner
3. Picture of Dorian Gray
4. Les Misérables
5. Altas Shrugged

Best Love Story (7/100)
1. The Time Traveler's Wife 3/29/13
2. The Notebook
3. Gone With the Wind
4. Atonement
5. Ella Enchanted

Best YA Books (21/100)
1. Secret Life of Bees
2. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
3. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) 4/2/13
4. The Book Thief
5. Tuck Everlasting

Unmistakably Strong Females (8/100)
1. The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)
2. Easy
3. On The Island
4. Outlander4/14/13
5. Slammed

The Dewey Decimal Challenge
One book each. (I rolled some 10 sided dice to get these numbers!)
148-Philosophical Schools of Thought Utopia
539- Physics Physics of the Future
635- Agriculture-garden crops The Magical Garden: Spells, Charms, and Lore for Magical Gardens and the Curious Gardeners Who Tend Them
746- Textile Arts- Yarn Knockdown Knits
813- Literature- American- American Misc. The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft
902- Miscellany of history Pessimist’s Guide to History

To Be Read List
1. Elegy Beach 3/27/13
2. Dayclean 4/1/13
3. Blood Singers (Blood, #1) 4/1/13
4. A Clockwork Fairytale 3/29/13
5. The Fence My Father Built

Favorites Challenge
Weather
F – Full Dark, No stars
A – The October Country, rAy bradbury
L – Lullaby
L – Life After Death

Genre
F- Fragile Things
A- American Gods 4/8/13
N- Night Watch
T- Two to the Fifth
A- Arthur
S- Stranger in a Strange Land
Y- Yon Ill Wind

Author
K –Colorado Kid
I –Insomnia
N –Nightmares & Dreamscapes
G -Gerald’s Game

Holiday
H –Hallowe’en Party
W –Something Wicked This Way Comes
E -Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Volume 1
E -Eternal Hunt
N -Necromancer 4/15/13

Sport
Roller Derby! (also, strong women, to make it easier to fill these slots!)
D -Down and Derby: The Insider's Guide to Roller Derby (I forgot I was mentioned in this!)
E –Ella Enchanted
R –Sisterhood of Dune (Raquella Berto-Anirul ,the first Reverend Mother)
B –Bossypants 4/4/13
Y –Intrinsical (Yara Silva)

A-Z TITLE CHALLENGE
DATE STARTED:03/22/2013
DATE FINISHED:

4/26 Completed
A - Atonement
B - Blood Singers (Blood, #1) 4/1/13
C - City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) 4/2/13
D – Dayclean 4/1/13
E - Elegy Beach
3/27/13
F - Fahrenheit 451
G - Gone With the Wind
H - Hitchhiker’s Guide
I - Insomnia
J - Jaguar Sun
K - Kite Runner
L - Les Misérables
M - Magical Garden: Spells, Charms, and Lore for Magical Gardens and the Curious Gardeners Who Tend Them
N - Notebook
O - On The Island
P - Pillars of the Earth
Q - Question of Will
R - Rowan
S - Secret Life of Bees
T - Tuck Everlasting
U - Utopia
V - VRIN: ten mortal gods
W - Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Volume 1
X – Xone of Contention
Y – Yon Ill Wind
Z – Zen Queen

TBR Cleanup Challenge
1. Sort your TBR list alphabetically and choose the 24th book that appears. Alien Cradle 4/6/13
2. Sort your TBR list by date added and read the first book you added. The Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Volume 1
3. Sort your TBR list by average rating and read a book that falls in the top 15 highest rated books. (These will all be from my Kindle Cloud, so I don’t have ratings on them.)
4. Choose your favorite number and read the book that corresponds with that number on your list. The Legend 4/9/13
5. Sort your TBR list to show all the books that start with the first letter of your middle name and choose one. Anathema (Cloud Prophet Trilogy, #1) 4/10/13
6. Sort your TBR list by date added and read a book you added in your birthday month. Lilith, a romance

Read Your Name Challenge
Start Date: 3/27/13

K - The Kite Runner
A - Anathema 4/10/13
T - Tuck Everlasting

Monthly Challenge
January- January First_ A Child's Descent Into Madness and Her Father's Struggle to Save Her
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
- The October Country
November
December
-Tenth of December

message 2: by BattyKat (last edited Mar 24, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I now have all of these listed books on my Kindle Fire (except Atlas Shrugged & dayclean, I have those in paperback.)
I have started with Elegy Beach mainly because it's the 30 years later sequel to one of my all time favorite books, Ariel: A Book of the Change.

After that, I'm just going to read in a random order, whatever comes up first on my carousel!

I need some more thought on the Favorites list. Dewey is going to have to wait a bit, as well. THAT one will be difficult!!

I'm excited, but daunted by my ambitious list! I know it's hardly anything compared to some lists I've seen, but, for me, and the first time doing this...

message 3: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I am trying really hard to fill in the Favorites section with valid titles/authors but this is hard!!!

message 4: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I've managed to fill in a few more titles. Just haven't gotten to the Derby section. There really aren't many books about roller derby. There's a Knitting book by a derby girl. Does that count? Knockdown Knits

:)

Finished City of Bones just now and I liked it. The sequels will have to wait tho!

message 5: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I forgot about this one... I'm actually mentioned in it! Down and Derby: The Insider's Guide to Roller Derby

message 6: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I've decided to make my DERBY section not only sports but strong women. Might do biographies, if I can find titles to fit the letters.

Just added Bossypants to it.

message 7: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 125 comments just stopping by to say hello... how are you and I love what you have done to your corner!!!!

message 8: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) Thanks lady!

I just (like, 5 minutes ago!) finished Bossypants. Now on to the increasingly daunting task of updating everything, everywhere! And then picking a new book from the list.

How are you, this foine Thursday afternoon?

message 9: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 125 comments Kat wrote: "Thanks lady!

I just (like, 5 minutes ago!) finished Bossypants. Now on to the increasingly daunting task of updating everything, everywhere! And then picking a new book from the list.

How are y..."

Hi Kat .. Thursday was awesome and I am on to Friday.. weekly reports and stuff but it also means a weekend off... yea!!! I finished two books yesterday and now I am reading "Girl Interrupted" with my pal and finishing up another book..
Did you pick a new book yet?

message 10: by BattyKat (last edited Apr 05, 2013 07:29AM) (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) Yes. I decided to tackle my TBR challenge and so started w/ #1, and am now reading Alien Cradle by Jeff Inlo .
Picked it up a really long time ago, so I had to remember what it was. I think I tried to start it over a year ago but it didn't grab me.
Now, I find out it seems to be about us creating an alien race on a newly discovered planet, so as to 'study our own origins'. However, I suspect there's a nefarious plot afoot.
Pretty hard core scifi, with the space travel and whatnot!

It's raining here. Yay for moisture for my plants!!

Oh, and I love it when Mother Nature washes my car for me. :)

message 11: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 125 comments Kat wrote: "Yes. I decided to tackle my TBR challenge and so started w/ #1, and am now reading Alien Cradle by Jeff Inlo.
Picked it up a really long time ago, so I had to remember what it was. I think I..."

you souhnd in a very good mood and have great plans... rain, reading, rain, clean car and reading yep... sounds like a plan.. hope your day is good

message 12: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) You too, lady! Happy Friday!

message 13: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) I just updated my list up above, again. I realized I didn't have ALL my challenges to date listed. I know there are still gaps and if/when I find books to fit in, I will update.

message 14: by BattyKat (new)

BattyKat (prosserkat) Last week I had landscapers here installing sprinklers. They cut the cable/internet line. A couple days later, cable co. came out, spliced the line and we had cable! They didn't bother to check if we had internet and said something about needing a new line since the old one was so old it was no longer up to code. Next day, a new line was pulled in. Internet!
However, it wasn't buried. In all this, the new sprinklers have been coming in every single night around 7:30pm. It hasn't been warm enough to dry anything up and my yard is 1)a mess from the digging and 2)muddy as hell.
So my back patio is a wreck with mud/clods that keep getting tracked in the house. (I have 3 dogs)

Cable came back out yesterday to bury the line, so now I don't have to worry about the dogs chewing on the line.

Sprinks won't be reprogrammed until next week or later since my landlord had a death in the family.

I just want my yard/patio/clean house back!!!

Now, laptop.
I bought myself an 80G iPod classic from a pawn store over the weekend. It was almost completely full of songs from the previous owner.
I downloaded iTunes on the laptop so I could easily go thru this huge (14,000 songs!) list and get rid of what I didn't want. The poor idiot girl had doubled and tripled some songs/albums. And had entire discography of some artists.
I managed to pare it down to maybe 1000 songs and I can go further than that now that I'm listening to some of this. Some of her taste was good for me! ;)

Sunday night the husband got a little lit and was playing pretty roughly with the puppy. They managed to get tangled in the laptop cord and toppled it.
Now it can't find the OS and won't boot up.

I don't know if it's iTunes or the fall or both, but my laptop and all my reading challenge lists are inaccessible. As is my Calibre and other books I had transferred to the laptop but not the Kindle.

Thankfully I already had ALL the books for ALL the challenges on my Kindle ahead of time. (I was thinkin!)

Long post short, this is why I've been away for a bit. Oh, and I spent two days watching the new Netflix series, Hemlock Grove. Not bad. Very Twin Peaks but with werewolves and schtuff.

Bill Skarsgard, son of Stellan and brother of Alexander (Eric in True Blood) looks very much like Anthony Micheal Hall in the 80s mixed with the sexiness of his brother Alexander.
It was almost disturbing to watch. Not to mention he was supposed to be portraying a not-yet 18yo high school boy and the sex & drug use made me uncomfortable.

Also, the last two books for the TBR Challenge are kicking my large ass and sadly, I've been finding other things to do instead of read them. I keep plugging away, tho.