ONTD Book Club discussion

Monthly Suggestions > April Suggestions!

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wigs (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:13PM) (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Go ahead and throw out yer suggestions for April.

I think I'd like to make Gatsby a default classic book for the month, bein' that the movie opens in early May. We got enough votes for it last time and I know I'm going to read it next month.

If not everybody is happy with this selection then I suppose there can be a second classic book but we'll see. I try not to get too many going at once because I like it when the discussions are active!

Let me know your thoughts on that.

Also for those of you doing Series of Unfortunate Events, all the books are open as there is a discussion for each, but the ~official~ book for this next month will be The Reptile Room.

I'm so pleased that for the last two months we've had great success with our chosen contemporary books and how well received they've been with the club, first with Song of Achilles and now with Tell The Wolves I'm Home, so good job people.

I'm not sure I have any competent suggestions for contemporary this month. Maybe Wolf Hall?

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell, #1) by Hilary Mantel

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (lapetite) | 45 comments Mod
Yay for The Great Gastby!

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Mar 21, 2013 11:02AM) (new)

Lisa (writelegends) | 19 comments Great Gatsby works for me for classic.

Contemporary-ish listed below:

Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell - "Man In The Empty Suit" - this would be my first suggestion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz - "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe" - maybe this one for a taste of something different

One more for good measure - The World of Normal Boys by K.M. Soehnlein - "The World of Normal Boys"

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1 comments Great Gatsby it is!

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 125 comments Gatsby works for me, as well.

Here is my pick:

Going Clear Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright
Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief

I most likely will second Wolf Hall, though...I want to see what the fuss is about.

message 6: by Soo (new)

Soo | 1 comments GG! Wolf Hall is on my list too.

message 7: by Naomi (new)

Naomi E | 37 comments Agreed with Wolf Hall!

message 8: by Chantaal (new)

Chantaal I'm down with Great Gatsby. I think it's been enough time since high school that I might not hate it.

message 9: by Nina (new)

Nina Sedlacek (ninasedlacek) | 19 comments I'm cool with Great Gatsby. Haven't read it since high school and barely remember a thing about it.

message 10: by Alyson (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:55PM) (new)

Alyson | 5 comments Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

I'd like to second this. I just read this and it is fantastic. Like, I just read it earlier this week but i highly recommend it.

I'd like to suggest:

The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray - The Diviners. I've been wanting to read this forever and I've heard really good things

Or maybe something like The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Or even Maus by Art Spiegelman Maus

I only recently discovered this (hella late to the party) but I reallllllly want to read it.

I've just started this, but I'd like to suggest Wool Omnibus (Wool, #1-5) by Hugh Howey - Wool Omnibus. It's really good so far and people have told me that it just gets better as the story goes on.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 54 comments I've been meaning to read Wolf Hall for a while, so I love that suggestion. Though I'm intrigued by Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe as well!

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (writelegends) | 19 comments I totally second Wool Omnibus and Maus as options for the poll.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Kay | 7 comments Maus is a fantastic, fantastic read. If it's chosen, be sure it's Maus I&II. They were originally two books, most are marketed as one omnibus now.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:21PM) (new)

i'd like to recommend ruth ozeki's "a tale for the time being" for our contemporary selection.

from amazon:

"In Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao has decided there’s only one escape from her aching loneliness and her classmates’ bullying. But before she ends it all, Nao first plans to document the life of her great grandmother, a Buddhist nun who’s lived more than a century. A diary is Nao’s only solace—and will touch lives in ways she can scarcely imagine.

Across the Pacific, we meet Ruth, a novelist living on a remote island who discovers a collection of artifacts washed ashore in a Hello Kitty lunchbox—possibly debris from the devastating 2011 tsunami. As the mystery of its contents unfolds, Ruth is pulled into the past, into Nao’s drama and her unknown fate, and forward into her own future."

message 15: by Marie (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 125 comments A Tale for the Time Being is on my to-read list as well.

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess (gingeryarnco) | 616 comments Mod
Wigs wrote: "Go ahead and throw out yer suggestions for April.

I think I'd like to make Gatsby a default classic book for the month, bein' that the movie opens in early May. We got enough votes for it last ti..."

I second both of these since I've nom'ed Wolf Hall the last few months.

message 17: by Rizky (new)

Rizky Puji (rizkypuji) | 2 comments I've read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz by Benjamin Alire Saenz, and its a very good YA. I dont mind re-reading it :D

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (writelegends) | 19 comments ree wrote: "i'd like to recommend ruth ozeki's "a tale for the time being" for our contemporary selection.

from amazon:

"In Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao has decided there’s only one escape from her aching lo..."

I'd be into that one!

message 19: by Jess (new)

I'm changing my classics nom to Things Fall Apart since Chinua Achebe just passed away. It's an amazing book. One of the best I read in college.

message 20: by Emy (new)

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments Yes to Gatsby.

And I'd like to nominate Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away by Christie Watson which takes place in Nigeria, currently has a rating of 4.06 stars and won the 2011 Costa Book Award for First Novel.

message 21: by Liesje Leest (new)

Liesje Leest (liesje_leest) | 51 comments Emy wrote:
And I'd like to nominate Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away by Christie Watson which takes place in Nigeria, currently has a rating of 4.06 stars and won the 2011 Costa Book Award for First N..."

This and A Tale for the Time Being both sound really interesting.

I really didn't like Wolf Hall so I hope that one doesn't win :P

message 22: by sy (new)

sy (sysysy) | 1 comments Wouldn't mind Gatsby as I haven't read it before.

message 23: by C (new)

C (madam_red) | 4 comments I just saw the film and would really like to nominate Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

The book is about a family of children and their mother who, after losing their father, go to live with their cruel grandmother in hopes of being rewritten into the will of a large fortune. They are instead imprisoned in the large mansion with little hope of ever getting out again.

The film was gripping and the book is supposed to be much better, so I hope it gets nominated :)

message 24: by 54069939 (new)

54069939 | 12 comments C wrote: "I just saw the film and would really like to nominate Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger, #1) by V.C. Andrews

The book is about a family of children and their mother who, after losing their father, go to live wit..."

these were my jam in middle school. (and yes, i had no business reading them at that age). the books are much different than the movie, and it's a series. highly rec you read them either way :)

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie LGW (xstephanielgwx) | 26 comments Alyson wrote: "Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

I'd like to second this. I just read this and it is fantastic. Like, I just read it earlier this week but i highly recommend it.

I'd lik..."

Oh Maus is fantastic. I'd definitely read it again. Though I do want to read the Wind-Up Bird Chronicles.

Gatsby for the classic works for me!

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (writelegends) | 19 comments Are we getting a poll soon?

message 27: by Wigs (last edited Mar 27, 2013 11:25AM) (new)

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Yes sorry I've been meaning to do it I've just been busy. Jess if you see this and have time go ahead and make a contemporary poll, otherwise ill do it as soon as I can. I'm on the train to class right now

message 28: by Jess (new)

Wigs wrote: "Yes sorry I've been meaning to do it I've just been busy. Jess if you see this and have time go ahead and make a contemporary poll, otherwise ill do it as soon as I can. I'm on the train to class r..."

I'm getting them set up right now!

message 29: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (writelegends) | 19 comments Yay for voting!