Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Page Numbering How To

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (plethorian) | 22 comments Hi! I haven't been around in a while so this question may be redundant. I was recently reading the Merchant of Venice, and came upon confusion when trying to update my progress. The edition I have has a very large section at the beginning of i, ii, iii pages etc, before it gets to the play and starts at 1. I found that the edition I had on book reads listed the number of pages as 200-something because it included the i,ii,iiietc pages, while the actual numbered pages were only 100-something. So, when I updated my progress to be page 77, it seemed as if I had read a lot less than I actually had.

God sorry that was so long. My question is, how do we number pages then officially, and how do we have it accurately reflect reader progress? Thanks for any info!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/27...
Introductory material paged using roman numerals is not included in the total page count.

This does have the unfortunate side effect of making it appear that readers have read fewer pages than they have with books containing large introductory sections. But that has been determined to be preferable to requiring users to do math to determine what page they are on each time they update status.