Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > The Worlds of Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) My favorite stories are set in worlds where, on the surface, they’re not unlike the world we know. But underneath that surface lies a supernatural world that most humans have no idea about. Some of my favorite parts are when the hidden world is revealed to (usually) the heroine through fate/her destiny or just plain dumb luck.

What about you guys, do you lean toward books that follow that format or do you prefer the worlds that are completely different from ours and being a vampire/witch/shifter/etc is the norm?

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I like both kinds. I do love when the protagonist stumbles upon a hidden world, though.

message 3: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Or when one character reveals their true identity to another character for the first time, love it!

message 4: by Jai (new)

Jai | 81 comments If you could include examples with book covers and links, so that my TBR pile can actually tip over and kill me, I'd appreciate it. Death by books, it's the way to go.

message 5: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Jen wrote: "If you could include examples with book covers and links, so that my TBR pile can actually tip over and kill me, I'd appreciate it. Death by books, it's the way to go."

Hi Jen! I'm thinking you might have read all these already, but my favorite "world within our world" books are some of the first few of the Midnight Breed series.
Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian , Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian , and the fourth one, Midnight Rising (Midnight Breed, #4) by Lara Adrian .

My favorite scene where a character reveals his true self to another is when Sam tells Sookie in Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris . (Even though people are already aware of vampires in that series, I'm still a fan!)

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments The main reason I fell in love with Laurell K. Hamilton's books was how the fantastical was written to be mundane.

message 7: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Paganalexandria wrote: "The main reason I fell in love with Laurell K. Hamilton's books was how the fantastical was written to be mundane."

Do all of her characters have supernatural abilities?

message 8: by Jai (new)

Jai | 81 comments Oh, I've long loved LKH's series (until ... you all know). While her main characters do interact with mundane muggles, her main and extended cast of characters all have supernatural abilities or are supernatural entities. Except the cop shops, which are a main source of on-going angst.

And I read the Midnight Breeds right after reading the entire BDB series, and it did pale by comparison.

Along those lines, and off the beaten path of the Fever series and its ilk:

I really liked Amy Lane's Vulnerable (Little Goddess, #1) by Amy Lane , from her Little Goddess series (three so far). It has some terrible spelling/grammatical/punctuation problems, but the writing is enough to overcome it. The heroine works at a gas-n-go until a fairy brushes her hand and changes the way she can see the world.

I'll always love Matt Ruff's Fool on the Hill for its dreamy storytelling, and the way the beauty slips into horror, and the way the daydreamers slip into heroism. Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff

You can also try Charles Stross' Family Trade series. The heroine discovers she can walk from our world to another attached to ours. And the book delves into that in a way I've never seen anywhere else. If she can do that, what's to stop her from walking from that side into a bank? From gun smuggling? From altering the economy or becoming an assassin? It's a genius look at what that could really mean, but the writing is dense, and it's not an easy read. There are six books in the series so far, and the heroine is in serious trouble at the point where I've read up to!
The Family Trade (The Merchant Princes, #1) by Charles Stross

On the other side, where magic is mundane, these are my rarely mentioned faves:

I loved Tanya Huff's
The Complete Keeper Chronicles by Tanya Huff ; the talking cat is my favorite, but the world building is amazing. There are three books in the series, and they're great. She's also got a vampire series, and a Gale family series that are well loved.

Wen Spencer's Tinker books, all three, are as fantastic and brilliant as their covers are hideously horrible. Tinker (Elfhome, #1) by Wen Spencer Wolf Who Rules by Wen Spencer Elfhome (Elfhome, #3) by Wen Spencer I really love Tinker, and want to be her if I grow up. Just not in those outfits on the cover.

If a little blasphemy doesn't bother you, Gorman Bechard's story about how God sends Jesus' little sister to straighten mankind out (in part by turning water into Tab) is truly genius. The Second Greatest Story Ever Told by Gorman Bechard

Since I found Cassandra Gannon's Elemental Phases series earlier this year, I've become the head of her fan club. They're like nothing else I've read, and they're wonderful. Best part? There are five of them, and another due out this year. It begins with Warror From the Shadowland.

message 9: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Thank you for the suggestions, they look right up my alley!

message 10: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Siggins | 10 comments I just started Caitlin Kittredge black London series and I am really enjoying it, awesome characters and it's really funny in a sarcastic witty way!

message 11: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Hi Danielle! Hadn't heard of that series but I just checked out the first pages of Street Magic (Black London, #1) by Caitlin Kittredge on Amazon, and it looks good! I'm digging the British slang used in it as well. : )

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Siggins | 10 comments Yeah the slang they use is definitely one of my favorite things about the series, it makes it stand out from all the others... And the male lead has a lot of personal demons (with reason) so it makes him seem '' real'' but even with all his issues I love his character, he reminds me of Bones from Jeannine Frosts night huntress series but more rough around the edges.... I've been pleasantly surprised with the series... Def give it a go!