What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Experiment
This topic is about The Experiment
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SF: lung cancer victim trades lungs for gills [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks (last edited Mar 23, 2013 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Read this interesting SF novel a while ago (10 years ago I guess) and it concerned a man (perhaps an MD, a surgeon, or a scientist) who is diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. He refuses to accept it and opts to take part in experimental surgery. His lungs will be replaced with fish gills. He will survive and live out his natural lifespan; but he must live the rest of his life immersed in water. The operation is a success but after a while of being studied and kept in tanks--he grows restless--he isn't having much fun--so he escapes into the ocean and becomes a man-fish; forcing himself to conquer all fears and become fully adapted to life in the sea. This part of the novel is rich with fun, undersea details and also transcendent; showing just how adaptable humans are. The man learns how to find tasty food; he finds his social needs met in the comfort in other fish, he learns how to protect himself. He finds beauty. Its very elegiac in its way, this story. The end of the tale has the man dreamily gliding along the ocean floor...

message 2: by Andria (last edited Mar 21, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Amazing! Yes, that's it! I congratulate you on your search skills!

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
haha, thanks! It's been a slow morning here at the library, so I welcomed the challenge. ;)

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Feliks - please consider writing a review for this book, or at least copy your query post here to the review box. You wrote your query in such a way that made me want to read the book.

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Okey-dokey. I sure will.