Shakespeare Fans discussion

Shakespeare And Movie Versions > Shakespeare & music: help!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everybody!
I need some help... for my final thesis, I'd like to focus on music related to Shakespeare, both ancient and modern music, but in Italy there's almost nothing written about it and I'm not very informed about foreign essays/books... if you have read something that can help me (in Italian, English, French or Spanish too), please post it here!

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 10 comments Do you mean music in Shakespeare's work, or music based on it?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Both, actually... I already know something about it but I need something more complete.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (danm) | 2 comments I believe that there is already a fair amount written about this in English. I haven't studied it, but I have used SHAKESPEARE'S SONGBOOK by Ross W. Duffin (W.W. Norton publisher; ISBN: 0-393-05889-1) as a reference for the occassions that I've needed to include some music in a high school Shakespeare production.

message 5: by Kristen (last edited Jan 17, 2008 05:44PM) (new)

Kristen | 1 comments I would recommend getting a scholary edition of any of the plays you are focusing on and there will probably be a lot of material in the foreward and such. The Cambridge edition of 12th night, for example talks about music played on stage during the production. Also the Arden 2, Arden 3 or the Oxford. You can search on databases such as www.worldshakesbib.org by topic or play. You might want to look into things about the Elizabethan view of music (like Tillyard's "The Elizabethan world picture). That discusses how Elizabethan's related to music and since Shakespeare was one of those...Their footnotes should help and can hopefully lead you to actual music, if it isn't referenced directly. If you go to a music library, or a section with sheet music and search for shakespeare you can hopefully find stuff written for productions, probably a lot of 17, 18, 19th century stuff.
But yeah, good luck. Its dense.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! I'll have to work hard, I suppose... :)

message 7: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 40 comments You may want to start to see what is out there by looking at bibliographies of everything written on Shakespeare -- i.e. Larry S. Champion's The essential Shakespeare : an annotated bibliography of major modern studies or something similar. I am sure if you are interested in Shakespeare and music for your thesis you will find an angle that has not been covered, but it will probably be helpful to see what is already out there. Even if books are not about Shakespeare explicitly, books on Renaissance/Elizabethan-Jacobean stage music/pageant music would also be pertinent.

Still a little unclear as to the focus -- you mentioned both ancient and modern music ...?

message 9: by Betty (last edited Feb 23, 2010 04:31PM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) An Outward Show: Music for Shakespeare on the London Stage, 1660-1830;
Randy L. Neighbarger; Greenwood Press, 1992.

Music from the Age of Shakespeare: A Cultural History;
David Brinkman, Suzanne; Greenwood Press, 2003.

Macbeth Multiplied: Negotiating Historical and Medial Difference between Shakespeare and Verdi;
Christoph Clausen; Rodopi, 2005.

Shakespeare's Use of Music;
John H. Long; University of Florida Press, 1955.

Music in Shakespearean Tragedy;
F. W. Sternfeld; Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1963.

Shakespearean Music in the Plays and Early Operas;
Frederick Bridge; J. M. Dent & Sons, 1923.

These books are found in Questia, the online subscription library. Some might have later editions.