Horror Aficionados discussion

Off Topic > James Herbert Dies at 69

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.W. (new)

J.W. Griebel (jengri) | 112 comments I've only read one of his novels, and I abandoned it a third of the way in, but no doubt a lot of you Officiandos are fans of Herbert's work. Either way, it is always a tragedy when any person passes so unexpectedly.

Here are just a couple of articles about Herbert's passing:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 2: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Taylor (mrwriterman) | 15 comments I found out about his death today and I remembered what he did for me many years ago. Although I never met him, it was his rats novel that got me reading. I have been writing my own version of a rats novel recently, so I want to dedicate it to him when i'm finished. Without the memories of books from my younger days I wouldn't be an author now. So here's to a top, top author....
Lee

message 3: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) | 1 comments I cannot believe that in these horror groups this isn't a bigger deal. I don't see anyone reminiscing about Mr. Herbert's variable but sometimes great and classic horror oeuvre.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3519 comments Randolph, people have been posting tributes in the James Herbert thread in the author section.

message 5: by Kilgallen (new)

Kilgallen | 73 comments So sad to have lost a great horror author. Rest peacefully Mr. Herbert.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Herbert, David b Silva and Rick Hautala all in one week :(

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 13 comments V. sad. I liked his early works, especially - the Rats (1974), the Fog (1975), Survivor (1976), the Spear (1978), the Lair (1979), Dark (1980), and Sepulchre maybe (1987). I remember reading them under the covers with teh bedside-lamp and burning the covers sometimes.

message 8: by Kit (new)

Kit | 146 comments I was so shocked when I heard the news. I think that most people would agree that sometimes he didn't quite hit the spot, but some of his work is amongst the greatest horror fiction I have ever read. I remember reading his and Stephen King 's books all the time in my teens, and without either of them I doubt I would have become an author myself. Rest in peace James Herbert, you will be greatly missed.