Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Genre question

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christie (new)

Christie Rich | 335 comments If I like an author's style, I will give anything they write a try. Switching to a pen name is fine, but sometimes I don't know they've written under that name too, and so I miss out. I think if you go with a pen name, you need to have a mechanism for letting your readers know there might be differences, but it is your book, your writing...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Absolutely. I read authors who write for more than one genre. With pennames and without. I'm not a fan pennames myself. I don't think they're needed personally.
However my grandmother who reads mostly romance will not read romances penned by a male author. And if she finds out an author she likes is male, she won't read him anymore. She can't explain it. I don't get it myself. If I like an author I don't care who or what the author is.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 116 comments I would.a number of the pen names today will include the authors other/more popular name as well. I saw something recently where the author on the cover was "written by pen name of x writer". It's a way to clue in your audience to different styles/periods/genre you write in while maintaining your brand recognition.

message 4: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t to me it doesn't matter but i know some authors that write YA feel as if they are sending the wrong message by writing Adult or Erotica as well.

@Traci -- my husband is the opposite of your grandmother. he won't read a female author. it is the oddest thing.

message 5: by Eydís (new)

Eydís (eydis) | 46 comments I prefer reading fantasy, but if I really like the author I sometimes read their stuff from other genres.

I couldn't care less whether or not the author is a man or a woman. Not reading something on the basis of the author's gender is just sexist.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

In the case of a YA author I can see the point. Good thinking. Not so much sending the wrong message - but to keep both book genres separate.

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Turner (tashaturner) | 116 comments If you are writing erotica and children's books I do recommend to clients to use a pen name for the erotica as too many parents may have a problem buying a kids book written by an erotica author. That stigma may be changing.

message 8: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) Definitely. Jayne Ann Krentz wrote straight romances for years before practically creating the paranormal romance. Johanna Lindsey branched off into SciFi romance.