What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Saurian
This topic is about Saurian
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > Horror novel about a man (or people) who is also some kind of huge ancient sea monster/dinosaur on the side [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (last edited Mar 21, 2013 10:14AM) (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to help me.

I read this book in the mid 90s. I'm pretty sure it was fairly trashy, but in a way in which my 14 yr old self reveled. I've got a bit of a soft spot for books I read in my childhood so any thoughts on a name or author would be hugely appreciated.

My memories are quite patchy but I remember a few details:

The cover (at least of the paperback edition I read) showed a small figure of a man swimming, light is shining from above and beneath the waves the man casts the shadow of a huge sea monster/dinosaur-type creature swimming upwards.

As far as I can remember the main protagonist is an oldish man who lives a fairly normal life, although he may have been quite well off, in an apartment block in a US seaboard city. I have no idea why but for some reason every so often he nips into the sea and gradually changes into an enormous creature. The novel indicates that the creature is some long extinct leviathan of the deep, although the descriptions are of a creature much larger than any extinct fauna of which I'm aware. I think the man is also potentially actually millennia old, and whilst not 'evil', he doesn't have humanity's best interests at heart.

I think there may also be a younger man/woman involved who also turns into a similar creature, and there may be an epic battle in the ocean towards the end of the book.

One specific scene I remember is the young man/woman confronting the older man in his apartment. The old man then begins to change and wrecks the apartment, but stops from changing all the way or the block would have been crushed.

And that's about all I can remember, apart from descriptions of a massive creature with a mouth full of long thin teeth... Ooh and also (but I may be entirely making this up) but it wasn't a long title, possibly one word, ending in -saur.

Thanks!

Diana Welsch | 529 comments This sounds amazing. Googling around hasn't led me to it yet, but I hope someone finds it!

message 3: by Tess (new)

Tess | 438 comments Any chance this is something by H.P. Lovecraft

message 4: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments Thanks but alas, no. The setting was definitely contemporary (late 20th C) and the tone much less philosophical and much more exploitation. I hesitate to say it as my memories are quite vague but I suspect it was more of a mass-market paperback, although I could easily turn out to be wrong.

message 5: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments Is it too soon to bump?

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Anthony--usually you wait 3 or 4 weeks before bumping it back up.

message 7: by laurenpie (new) - added it

laurenpie | 131 comments I want to read this, hope it's found!

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments Hi,

Bumping this in the desperate hope that someone might recognize the description...

Thanks

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Is it Saurian by William Schoell?

message 10: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments Amazing! That's it! Can't thank you enough. That damn book has been niggling at the bank of my mind for months! THANK YOU!

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Happy to help. The reason I wasn't finding it before is because none of the reviews reveals that this guy IS the monster. Guess I spoiled that part for myself by reading this but I still really want to read it. :)

message 12: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Dancer | 6 comments I'm intrigued - how did you find it? I googled what I thought was every possible iteration of search terms but just kept coming up against creationist websites for some reason.

And don't worry - if I remember correctly his monster alter ego is revealed fairly early on in the story.

Thanks again

Diana Welsch | 529 comments I went to LibraryThing and did a Tagmash of "horror" and "sea monster."
This is the list it gives you. I didn't even have to go through them all because you said you thought "saur" was in the title.

It should have been the first thing I did, but your description was so detailed I thought it would be easy to find on Google.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Saurian (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

H.P. Lovecraft (other topics)