Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1) Things Fall Apart question

Review
Bailey Norman Bailey Mar 21, 2013 05:56AM
Things Fall Apart Review

I’ve never been oppressed before but after reading Things Fall Apart you finally realize what tribes in Africa had to go through back in the 1800’s

Okonkwo is the character that I believe everybody hates to love. This is because you never want to see someone’s livelihood ripped apart piece by piece, however Okonkwo has characteristics that you wouldn’t like in a normal person. For example, his arrogance takes control of his life. Whether it be taking all the titles in the village, beating his wives, shinning his son, or feeling the need to kill Ikemefuna, his arrogance is the reasoning for it all.

I could really relate to this story in the aspect that Okonkwo wants nothing to do with his father. Most people are ashamed of at least one person that they either know or are related to. Okonkwo really brings out the real emotions in everyone when they read this story.

On another note this book is almost too ironic. Every step of the way is exactly the opposite of what you would expect. For example, the last thing Okonkwo wants is to become just like his father, however he ends up become just that by the end of the story. Also, Okonkwo wishes his daughter was his son and his son was his daughter. This is because his daughter has the spirit of a warrior, and his son shows emotion and still loves the stories that his mother used to tell him as a child.
The book Things Fall Apart is a greatly written book, however it may not be for all people. I would recommend this piece to people who are looking for a book from a new perspective on how African cultures were “settled” by Europeans.
Things Fall Apart

I like your take on Things Fall Apart.I do love Okonkwo though. His belief and his ambition drives him. He lives what he believes to the fullest. To be emotional is weak so he tried to live without showing. When he did show it, that was his demise.I root for his character every time I read it knowing full well that it falls apart.

Feliks (last edited Mar 21, 2013 08:46AM ) Mar 21, 2013 08:45AM   0 votes
Nice essay. I loved this book. It was an astounding read.

Another one in the same vein, worth seeking out:

"A Question of Power" A Question of Power by Bessie Head

There is nothing worthy of praise than okonkwo's bold character... a true reflection of what really was in the past African society. He truly fulfills African folklore

I am still trying to figure out what I think of this book.....
At the risk of sounding like whatever, here are my thoughts.
I saw this story as an indictment of the "noble savage" concept. Whether intentional or not, Achebe's description of Ibo culture showed the flaws and shortcomings in their religious beliefs. Can anyone honestly defend infanticide of twins as is common in some African religions? While we don't know the details of the murder that resulted in the sending of the two young people to the village, can anyone really defend the morality of sacrificing two innocent children because of the sins of someone else in the village? Can the matter-of-fact murder of the boy and the implied slavery of the girl be defended on moral grounds? Was the seven-year exile of an entire family for Okonkwo's accidental killing of the boy truly just?

For sure, the English were far from perfect and certainly had their flaws, but were they not ultimately an agent of moral good? Were the missionairies not right in taking in the outcasts and accepting them into their lives? Don't we advocate for the same kind of forgiveness in our western culture today?

Are we really willing to give an exeption from moral standards and responsibility to people simply because they are card-carrying "noble savages?"

While I was saddened by the ending, it was ultimately the ratification of what Okonkwo believed. He saw the future.