Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > Reviewers

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Does anybody know of good book reviewers they can recommend? I'm really getting tired of sending off email after email and either being totally ignored, or being told they'll get to it and then...nothing. One blog that said yes had a list of upcoming books at the side of every page. I watched mine get further and further from the top. Pretty sure that's not how it's meant to work :(

It's difficult enough to find reviewers who A) Are accepting books for review, and B) Will review sci fi. Then on top of it we're ignored by most!

So, yes...can anyone recommend somewhere?

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 17 comments I'm in the same situation, so much so that I simply stopped sending emails. I think I won't offer my second book to reviewers at all. But if I know of someone who reviews sci-fi I'll let you know!

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments I've listed some stuff over at manicreaders.com, which seems to be a "review sample clearinghouse". None of ot's gotten reviewed that I know of, though. I'm actually pretty convinced that there are more writers than serious reviewers in today's world.

As writers, I smetimes think we should be the ones taking the megaphones and announcing, "Hey, did you know that if you will write reviews, you'll never have to pay for the books you read?"

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Jaq wrote: "Is it hard scifi? Goodreads book pages won't load for me today. I'll be getting a Kindle in October and I like some scifi."

No, science fantasy.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Franks | 15 comments Try Goodreads groups? Several do R2R (Read to review) . You donate ebook in exchange for an honest review. I have some great (and not so great, but at least honest) reviews using the good people at Lovers of the Paranormal book group. They were really helpful, and I'd recommend them

message 6: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (last edited Mar 30, 2013 01:20PM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments A couple of science-fiction / fantasy reviewer lists I've found useful in the past are Tina Hunter's list of ebook reviewers and the Indie SF Reviewers list.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments I think it kind of falls to us as authors to encourage our readers to become reviewers. Sites like manicreaders.com act as reviewer clearing houses, facilitating the process of hooking up independent reviewers with copies of our books. The nice thing is that (at least in theory) reviewers who only use it for free books and don't actually bother writing reviews, lose their reviewer credentials after a while.

message 8: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Ken wrote: "I think it kind of falls to us as authors to encourage our readers to become reviewers..."

I've started putting a line at the end of books, before the 'other titles' bit, encouraging readers to do just that. I'm not convinced it helps and since then have had at least one rather odd unsolicited review. I also try and do a quick review of everything I read myself (and thus lead by example?). On the other hand, there has been the odd indie book which I thought deserved just one or two stars but I've instead refrained from writing anything. I don't know if this is a common reaction.

message 9: by Jill (last edited May 03, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 46 comments Thanks for this thread! I have a contemporary romance series. If anyone is interested in reviewing, contact me.

Thanks!

[image error]

[image error]

message 10: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Ross I will copy my review to SW if it helps.

message 11: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments If anyone here likes to review and does so a lot and wishes to be interviewed about the process drop me an email to libraryoferana@yahoo.co.uk with reader/author/reviewer in the title and please specify.

Ross. I left a review on my blog, for what it is worth for my few followers;)

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 46 comments Hi Alexandra, I've emailed you.

Alexandra wrote: "If anyone here likes to review and does so a lot and wishes to be interviewed about the process drop me an email to libraryoferana@yahoo.co.uk with reader/author/reviewer in the title and please sp..."

message 13: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Ok. Will look tomorrow. I best think of some intelligent questions. That might take a while.

message 14: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Thanks :)

message 15: by Hesty (new)

Hesty Lim (hestylim) | 4 comments Hi all,
I need reviews for my poetry book too.. If anyone interested to review my poetry book, can you please PM here? Thanks!

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments I've started a review blog with my sister. We realised that its just very very difficult to get your book out there without a big publishing company behind you but that every little helps, especially in the first few reviews. We read a lot, and we read very quickly so we thought we'd put it to good use. We are offering honest reviews in exchange for books and since we just started only have a week or so wait. We both read sci fi and fantasy, Claire reads a bit of romance and I read the odd crime or mystery, we both read action (since that's what our dad reads and we'd get desperate on holidays pre-kindle and steal all our parents books too. They let us have the, first normally as we just give them back the next day and they take months to read anything. Anyway, off topic again. But if you want to check out my reviewing style go to faraghersisterreviews.blogspot.co.uk (or .com if that doesn't work, I keep forgetting) and PM me with requests, if we don't feel we can do justice to your work we'll tell you so there won't be any bad reviews because we didn't like the subject matter (I mean who reads books they know they won't like?) hope this helps, thought I'd mention it here as we do read sci fi.

message 17: by J.F. (last edited May 27, 2013 12:36PM) (new)

J.F. Pérez (jfpeji) | 13 comments Hi everyone. I am in the same situation than Ross. Furthermore, some of my books are written in Spanish (additional problem). I have posted reviewers requests on some Goodreads groups and Twitter, but I have not had any success. I had thought that maybe writers at Smashwords might help us each other but I suppose everybody is too busy with their own business.

message 18: by J.F. (new)

J.F. Pérez (jfpeji) | 13 comments Robert wrote: "Try Goodreads groups? Several do R2R (Read to review) . You donate ebook in exchange for an honest review. I have some great (and not so great, but at least honest) reviews using the good people at..."

Thank you for your suggestion, Robert. I have also found the option R4R (Read for review) on some groups.

message 19: by J.F. (last edited May 27, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

J.F. Pérez (jfpeji) | 13 comments Steph wrote: "A couple of science-fiction / fantasy reviewer lists I've found useful in the past are Tina Hunter's list of ebook reviewers and the Indie SF Reviewers list."

Thank you Steph for the links. However, I have trouble with the Tina Turner's link. Has somebody else found something wrong with it?

message 20: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments I have trouble with the Tina Turner's link. Has somebody else found something wrong with it?

Hmm... It looks like her website is having problems. Sorry about that.

message 21: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Zoe wrote: "Hello!
I'm a long-time reviewer with a new site dedicated purely to Indie & Self-Published titles. If you're in need of a review, have a look at www.theindiefantastic.com and give me a shout if I ..."

Hi Zoe. Am I right in thinking that you charge for reviews?

message 22: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Emma wrote: "I've started a review blog with my sister. We realised that its just very very difficult to get your book out there without a big publishing company behind you but that every little helps, especial..."

Thanks, Emma :) I've sent you an email. I included all 3 works I have out for you to choose from (since I need reviews for all of them anyway).

message 23: by David (new)

David  Crawford (darksolus) | 9 comments I found most of my reviewers by searching on the internet for "free book reviews". I have also paid for some book reviews though not very much. The problem I have is if you are not into the genre then why do a review. For example I would never do a review of a romance novel. It is just not for me. There are too many authors and not enough reviewers. Hopefully when someone buys our books they go back and do a review but you can't count on that. It is a dilemma!

message 24: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Why ask a reviewer to review if they don't list your genre as one they'll read? I've asked at least a couple of dozen review bloggers who specifically state that they'll review sci fi. the number who actually responded isn't even in double figures.

message 25: by David (new)

David  Crawford (darksolus) | 9 comments A lot of people who say they will review books have a list as long as your arm and many have too many books ahead of them to take on anymore. There are free sites to promote your book and I have done those. Such sites as "Ask David". Just search the internet for free promotions sites for books. They usually will answer in a short time and I have at least 10 of those where my book is being listed for free. Some are blog sites but I always say any advertisement can't hurt.

message 26: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments David Andrew wrote: "A lot of people who say they will review books have a list as long as your arm and many have too many books ahead of them to take on anymore..."

Perhaps we're writing too many books...(!)

message 27: by J.F. (last edited May 30, 2013 01:58AM) (new)

J.F. Pérez (jfpeji) | 13 comments David Andrew wrote: "A lot of people who say they will review books have a list as long as your arm and many have too many books ahead of them to take on anymore. There are free sites to promote your book and I have d..."

Ross wrote: "Why ask a reviewer to review if they don't list your genre as one they'll read? I've asked at least a couple of dozen review bloggers who specifically state that they'll review sci fi. the number w..."

David Andrew wrote: "I found most of my reviewers by searching on the internet for "free book reviews". I have also paid for some book reviews though not very much. The problem I have is if you are not into the genre..."

Thank you, David Andrew, for your search suggestions. I am agree with your comments (too much work in stock for reviewers). Similar to Rose, I have started a crazy run looking for reviewers' blogs (following the lists provided by Steph). I have got in touch with many ones but I am not getting response of nobody. Here, on Goodreads, I have found the group
The Reviews Initiative for Indie Books which I think it could be useful as more people join it.

message 28: by Ubiquitous (last edited May 30, 2013 01:10PM) (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments For a new author, this process of begging for reviews can be very frustrating and time consuming. There are some good groups here on GR who produce reviews as hoped. I suggest also trying the Review Group and Genre Specific Review Group.

My frustration is in joining large groups where authors offer their books in the vain hope that someone will be willing to read their work. In my (limited) experience, it appears that this often only works if you write romance novels. Other genres can usually just forget about it. That probably says a lot about the market (and my inability to grasp it). I can complain about my lack of popularity, change my writing style and subject matter to become popular, or be content with writing for my own enjoyment. All my begging, pleading, and groveling for reviews is not going to change the fact that my books will not enjoy a broad appeal due to their absence of romantic content. Please understand that I am not criticizing the reviewers in any way. I deeply appreciate every reviewer who invests the time to read and review a book. The failure to compel a reader to review my work is mine alone.

I'm starting to reach the point where I will abandon the quest for reviews. I'll finish up with the current review groups and I'm very grateful for their help. After that, I think I want to get off this ride for awhile. My next book needs some time and attention. Someday, my audience might find my stories. I hope so. In the meantime, I'll read them myself. (I'm enjoying a new one "in progress" right now!)

message 29: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments I have to say I actually avoid books where the main storyline is romance most of the time, too predicable. I also thought I'd comment a little bit about starting to accept review requests for a blog. It's all quite overwhelming and I felt like I was a horrible person for turning anyone away but I couldn't read everything, and I couldn't realistically force myself to read books in a genre or style I don't like as they would take too long to read and it would become too much of a chore, rather than engaging my love of reading to help out follow authors. I've also got headaches, presumably from looking at an iPad screen for too long which prevent me from reading, and I feel so guilty about being a few days behind on my reviews, like I might personally offend the author because I didn't get it out immediately. I might have to be pickier in which books I take as its all too easy to let my writing slide due to other commitments. Just thought I'd mention some of the difficulties in reviewing. On the plus side I've got my first review coming out next week! Yay. Anyone who wants to read an urban fantasy (light on the romance) to give me review number 2 would be greatly appreciated!

message 30: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments Congrats on completing your review, Emma! That's great. I feel for anyone who opens themselves up to review a flood of books. You shouldn't feel bad for turning down any books you don't have the time or interest in reading. Asking for books to review is like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. As an author, I appreciate your honesty in saying whether or not you have the bandwidth or interest in reviewing my book. I am very glad that you would prefer to be selective and review those books that capture your interest. You have no need to apologize or feel bad for choosing not to review a particular book.

I also hope that you take care of yourself and relax a bit. This should be fun. If the review schedule has become a chore, it's become a job. Maybe you could slow it down a little and give your eyes a rest. I hope are able to enjoy reading and reviewing without the stress of worrying about all of the other books.

message 31: by Ken (last edited May 31, 2013 02:28AM) (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments I'm thinking that most reviewers over-think it too. They've got the idea that some big long essay is necessary, to really delve into things.

Seriously, we authors are happy if you want to write a paragraph, as long as it's something. I get caught up in that "it has to be thorough and perfect" mentality when I'm writing reviews of items, and it's really not warranted.

If anyone cares to toss 15 minutes of their time into a 1-2 paragraph review of my book, I'm perfectly happy. Then again I'm also writing 15k-30k word erotica too; if I wrote something really long I might twitch a little about it.

message 32: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments I just like to put all my thoughts a into a review. I think it's the scientist in me wanting to justify my opinions. I've actually starting reading a really goof book I got to review. Frustratingly life is starting to catch up a bit too. I've slowed down, I've this one then two more to do by the end of next week. So it should be fine.

message 33: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I'm always amazed at how easy it is to write a story and how hard it is to write a decent review. For those of you who put your time and effort into doing so; my hat's off to you.

message 34: by Storm (new)

Storm Chase Interesting thread. A review service http://blog.lepak.com/p/freelance-rev... and if you're interested in ratings, I conducted a mini survey with some interesting results http://stormchasenovels.blogspot.com

Me, I'm going to beg for some ratings :-)

message 35: by Amy (new)

Amy Parker (amy_parker) | 14 comments Ken wrote: "I'm thinking that most reviewers over-think it too. They've got the idea that some big long essay is necessary, to really delve into things.

Seriously, we authors are happy if you want to write a..."

It could be because I'm new, but I really enjoy it when people even give me stars with no words. If they actually string together a sentence or two sayin why they felt the way they did, I'm delighted. I definitely don't feel entitled to multi-paragraph essays, or disappointed if I don't get them.

message 36: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I agree about short reviews when it comes to 'normal' reviewers (ie people who buy the book and then go back to leave a review on it). But when it comes to people who do reviews properly, on a blog or website, then I think they need to put more into it. It still doesn't have to be an essay, no, but more than a paragraph. I don't give someone a free copy of my book in the hopes that they will write a review to properly inform people about it, only for them to write a few sentences.

I think if someone is going to spend hours reading a book, they can afford 15 minutes to write a few paragraphs. Otherwise, don't offer your services as a reviewer.

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments I look at it in terms of investment of value for value. A review of a free copy, even a short review, will bring you more than one sale. And we're in the digital age these days; we don't spend money to print copies, and all the review sites I've seen have been swamped (many don't even accept submissions anymore) so I think we're at the point where authors need to be grateful for any reviews we get.

message 38: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I still don't agree. Especially when there are review websites that actually charge for reviews. To me, if you offer your services as a reviewer, then you do it properly. That means people like me complaining about not getting a response, but we go to proper reviewers to get proper reviews. Ones that will give potential readers a good, unbiased idea of what to expect.

message 39: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments Well, if a reviewer is charging (beyond getting a free copy), that's a completely different matter. At that point it's a pay for hire situation basically, where they're paid to write an essay.

But if it's just in exchange for a free copy, then a short review is light years better than NO review. Particularly since something like 80% of review samples are accepted and then no review is provided (a figure I've read elsewhere; it may be right or wrong).

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 146 comments I feel that if a free copy is given in exchange for a review then the reviewer to give an honest and descriptive review without spoilers (because that defeats the object of a helpful review in my opinion). Such that others can understand the rating the reviewer has given. Covering a few key points is what I try to do. A basic idea of how the narrative is written, how engaging the characters are, the pace and the progression of the book. I also try to give an approximation of how long it took to read (better books I read faster than other books of a similar length). If I receive a review copy I take a few notes along the way as I think of them so that I can give a full review. For other books I give more of a general impression. But then I want my RtoR reviews to be helpful to the author as well. It's all personal opinion but perhaps if you give your books to reviewers you should establish what kind of review you want prior to giving it away, checking out a few of their previous reviews might give an idea of the way the analyse and describe the books.

message 41: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Emma wrote: "I feel that if a free copy is given in exchange for a review then the reviewer to give an honest and descriptive review without spoilers (because that defeats the object of a helpful review in my o..."

That's what I mean. A review like that couldn't be written in a single paragraph.

message 42: by A.L., Stormy Chronicler (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 998 comments Here is a reviewer interview. http://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2...

message 43: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Wild (clarissawild) | 9 comments Hi!

EROTIC ROMANCE LOVERS -> My book Raveled By You is available for FREE and I could use a couple of reviews :) if you want to download it, go here: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Please let me know what you think of it! All reviews are welcome :)

I also have a sequel posted on the same website, called Hooked By You.
Both books are also up on amazon, just not yet price matched (which is what I also need some help with :P)