.:.Book Bodega.:. discussion

The Teleportation Accident
This topic is about The Teleportation Accident
Book Discussions > Comment As You Read | The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sammee (chasing_sammee) | 379 comments Mod
Leave your thoughts about
The Teleportation Accident by Ned Beauman, as you are reading, just make sure you say what chapter & page you are on so that there are no spoilers. This way we can discuss as we read without ruining the ending for anyone.

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments So far I am really enjoying the writing style. Also enjoying Egon's character. :)

I'm finding it hard to get into the writing style but I think its mostly cause the book I was reading before hand. I still need a minute to adjust. Plus I'm not following along well, lol but I think that's my fault my brain is still with the other book. I think I"ll comment again when i'm about 25% in I should have my barring by then

message 4: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Awww - you guys are starting with this one? I started with the other and I have (sniffle) nobody to talk to about it. Boo hoo.

message 5: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Okay. I've read to page 6 just to get in with the cool kids. Under the Dome - definitely an easier read tho this book is shorter. Will bop between the two.

So it is a difficult read. I feel better now. Thanks Mia ☺

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Apr 04, 2013 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments Mia wrote: "Awww - you guys are starting with this one? I started with the other and I have (sniffle) nobody to talk to about it. Boo hoo."

I'm reading both at the same time but will probably finish this one first since it's shorter. About to update Under the Dome tonight. Aw, I'll talk about it with you- you're so funny!

Don't feel bad, Sammee, King's writing style is much more to the point! This one's a little intricate. :)

message 8: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Sarah wrote: "Mia wrote: "Awww - you guys are starting with this one? I started with the other and I have (sniffle) nobody to talk to about it. Boo hoo."

I'm reading both at the same time but will probably fin..."

I'm on page 58 now and getting into it a little bit more. I'm not falling in love with it, but I am enjoying some witty elements of his writing and this pathetic Egon!

Yes - King is more straightforward storytelling and easier to zip through. But I'm guessing I'll finish this one first, too, because of the length. I think King is more of a "comfort" read.

message 9: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments (and, by the way, look at us with our lively book discussions! Yay, us!)

message 10: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Page 195; California 1938. I'm getting sick of Egon and his stupid self absorption. In some ways I feel like I've read enough, but I'm gonna keep going to see if it picks up a bit.

message 11: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Page 264; the narrative past-present switches in the Bailey story are bogging me down. I'm not sure if I'm intrigued or just eager to get this book over with! Maybe a bit of both. Not sure if this book knows what it is.

message 12: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments But very much enjoying a lazy Saturday AM at home reading!

message 13: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Ok finished. Meh. I kept getting bogged down by his tangents and overwritten quirky passages. Time to shower and go outside!

message 14: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Anyone make progress on this one? Curious to hear what folks think!

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments Mia wrote: "Anyone make progress on this one? Curious to hear what folks think!"

The constant use of sex and swearing does remind me of some of my guy friends. Egon might actually be my friend Collin. Egon was truly funny at times. I did enjoy it! Working on a proper review.

What did you think, Mia?

message 16: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Like I said above - meh. I didn't dislike it, and some parts/episodes were written in a very engaging, funny way. It was cool the way he brought it all together in the end. But there were some tangents that I found overwritten and a bit distracting. Still, if I gave Casual Vacancy 3 stars, maybe I was a bit hard on this one. Still have to think a bit about what it was that made me not like it better. Egon was definitely a self-absorbed ass, although I guess he realized that in the end. And it did make a statement about people, power, and what motivates them. Will gather my thoughts a bit more.

i'm half way through. Egon just got 2 letters from his friends 1-being harassed by a Nazi (Egon doesn't even finish the letter! which I found facinating & was pissed he crumpled it up & tossed it) & the other is a Nazi.

I find Egon to be stunted. He has no interests in life & all the things that are happening in the world. If he wasn't so self-involved then maybe just maybe he would get laid. And his reason for being obsessed with Adele is thin. I just want to know how it ends at this point.

Maybe this would make for a great little indie film in the vain of a Wes Anderson film

message 18: by Mia (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments You know, I don't like Wes Anderson films very much, but I occasionally enjoy aspects of them. That is this book!

message 19: by Kai Hunter (new) - added it

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Page 58: I am having a terrible time trying to get into this book. I just don't find it funny. I find Egon to be so caught up in the life he thinks he's supposed to be reading that he doesn't actually bother to live. I've taken the book to the gym every morning but I'm moving along at a crawl. So it's due back to the library today and I tried to renew it but for reasons that escape me, someone else wants to read it. Therefore, I will be taking a library imposed break on this one for a few weeks and move on to Under the Dome. Take care everyone!

message 20: by Mia (last edited Apr 20, 2013 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Ok under the dome will be a much better gym read! I found this book tough too. And not inspiring as a gym read. Definitely, shelf it for now and move on!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Apr 21, 2013 05:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments Karen wrote: "Page 58: I am having a terrible time trying to get into this book. I just don't find it funny. I find Egon to be so caught up in the life he thinks he's supposed to be reading that he doesn't ac..."

100% agree with Mia, Karen. I think you'll get into Under the Dome faster. I read it on the treadmill and time flew! There's a lot of action and great narrative. I really got caught up with the characters. :)

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Apr 21, 2013 05:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments Here's the trailer for Under the Dome tv series out this summer! Can't wait! No spoilers in the trailer! :D

http://youtu.be/Irc2IcgkPKE