Bookworm Buddies discussion

Buddy Reads > Six Years by Harlen Coben

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Would anyone like to buddy read this with me? I can start anytime but I'd prefer to finish a couple other books first. I've only read one book from Coben and I wasn't all that impressed with it, but I hear a lot of praise for his work and I thought I'd give him another shot.

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments It sounds interesting. I'm in. I can start whenever.

message 3: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14081 comments Mod
I have had this book on my TBR pile for a couple of weeks. Went to check on it at B&N and the release was the 19th. Now that it has been released I don't have the funds to buy it lol. Oh well enjoy it. I will get to it sooner or later. I thought it sounded fabulous.

message 4: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC @ Janie... I actually heard about it through you; it does sound interesting.

@ Courtney... Would you like to wait and see if anyone else would like to join us? We can start today or wait a couple of weeks, or whatever. It doesn't matter to me. Do you have a preference?

message 5: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments It doesn't matter to me! We can wait to see if more people want to join - I need to pick it up from the library, so I probably wouldn't be able to start until at least Tuesday.

message 6: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC That will work, Courtney. :)

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i ordered it from the bookstore but i'm still waiting for my entire order to come in-should have my books by the middle of next week so i can definitely read it then- i love harlan coben and can't wait to read this book.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chuck wrote: "Would anyone like to buddy read this with me? I can start anytime but I'd prefer to finish a couple other books first. I've only read one book from Coben and I wasn't all that impressed with it, bu..."

which book did you read chuck?

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane | 31 comments I am in but also have a few books I am trying to finish first but can really start anytime

message 10: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Diane wrote: "I am in but also have a few books I am trying to finish first but can really start anytime"

All right, Diane, that's terrific. :)

message 11: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Rachel wrote: "Which book did you read chuck? "

Hold Tight

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Chuck wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Which book did you read chuck? "

Hold Tight"

i actually really liked that one - although i preferred Tell No One andGone for Good. gone for good is my favorite coben book.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane | 31 comments I actually read all of his Bolitar books and a few stand alones.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I also would like to join, waiting to get it from the library. :)

message 15: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC That's awesome, Terri!

message 16: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC How does this Thursday sound for a start date?

message 17: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Works for me!

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel that works for me too :D

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm the 925th reserve on this at the library, so needless to say I won't have it in time to join you guys. :(

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel i actually can't get the book until the weekend :O

message 21: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC That's fine with me, Rachel.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel thanks chuck!

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Terri wrote: "I'm the 925th reserve on this at the library, so needless to say I won't have it in time to join you guys. :("

:O I'm fifth in line at my library, and I thought that was bad lol! I'm just going to buy the ebook for my Kobo, I hate waiting when I want to read something :)

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Did anyone start this today? This is my first time reading this author. I'm impressed at how quickly I was grabbed by the story.

message 25: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Courtney wrote: "Did anyone start this today? This is my first time reading this author. I'm impressed at how quickly I was grabbed by the story."

I haven't started yet. How fast do you think you'll read it?

message 26: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I think I'm going to go ahead and start this, but I imagine it will take me all weekend to finish it since there's two other books I plan of finishing.

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Chuck wrote: "Courtney wrote: "Did anyone start this today? This is my first time reading this author. I'm impressed at how quickly I was grabbed by the story."

I haven't started yet. How fast do you think you..."

I should be able to finish it over the weekend. Kobo says I'm 31% in, even though I don't feel like I've invested very much time into it.

message 28: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm starting chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 29: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Chapter 4
I cannot believe he (view spoiler)

message 30: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm digging this right about now. This isn't anything like the other Coben book I read. I wonder if his other books are anything like this.

message 31: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC This just keeps getting weirder and weirder. In a good way.

message 32: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Chuck wrote: "Chapter 4
I cannot believe he [spoilers removed]"

Right? And to dwell on such a short romance six years later? Maybe she sensed his neediness and faked the wedding ;) Kidding.

message 33: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments Chuck wrote: "I'm digging this right about now. This isn't anything like the other Coben book I read. I wonder if his other books are anything like this."

I'm really enjoying it too! I'm seriously wondering how he's going to resolve this. I don't often read mystery/thriller type books because I'm so frequently disappointed by the resolution.

I have a couple of theories about what's going on, but I'll keep them to myself in case I'm right lol.

message 34: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Courtney wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Chapter 4
I cannot believe he [spoilers removed]"

Right? And to dwell on such a short romance six years later? Maybe she sensed his neediness and faked the wedding ;) Kidding."

That thought crossed my mind.

message 35: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Courtney wrote: " I don't often read mystery/thriller type books"

I've only read a few mysteries but reading this makes me want to read more of them.

message 36: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Glad y'all are enjoying it. Mystery/suspense is one of my favorite genres along with horror/thiller.

message 37: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Janie wrote: "Glad y'all are enjoying it. Mystery/suspense is one of my favorite genres along with horror/thiller."

It's really good so far.

message 38: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Rachel wrote: "i actually can't get the book until the weekend :O"

Have you been able to start this yet, Rachel?

message 39: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I'm so glad I decided to read this. It's been very entertaining. I should finish up in about an hour. I just hope it doesn't fall a part at the end.

I noticed it's #1 on the New York Times Best Sellers List under ebook fiction and hardcover fiction this morning.

message 40: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 233 comments I just finished. I really enjoyed it, but (view spoiler)

Despite my criticisms, I really enjoyed it. It was a fast, compelling read. I'll definitely try this author again.

message 41: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC I give it 4.25 stars. (view spoiler) I really liked reading this.

message 42: by Rachel (last edited Apr 12, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

Rachel I love Harlan coben- this is my 7th book that I've read of his and although I liked it I did not love it

I found the main character annoying at times and although coben's characters tend to pine for the one who got away- I thought the intensity of this man's feelings after knowing her for such a short time came off as teenage angst rather than an adult romance- maybe i'm just being cynical lol

also the entire ending and a few other parts did not ring true to me (view spoiler)
glad you guys liked it- unfortunately I was somewhat disappointed but coben is still a fave author for great mystery/thrillers

message 43: by GeneralTHC (last edited Apr 12, 2013 06:48PM) (new)

GeneralTHC Rachel wrote: "I love Harlan coben- this is my 7th book that I've read of his and although I liked it I did not love it

I found the main character annoying at times and although coben's characters end to pine fo..."

I really liked it. I'm with you on the protagonist being so lovestruck, though. Creepy. I definitely plan to read more Coben.

message 44: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Glad y'all enjoyed it. I plan on reading this later this year some time whenever I manage to get the book.