Travel Writing discussion

DISCUSSION > What are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Reilly | 48 comments Mod
I've just started readingThe White Masaithe story of a Swiss woman who develops an obsession with a Masai man while on holiday, burns all her boats in Switzerland, and returns to Kenya to marry him.
After just twelve pages I'm beginning to dislike the author. It's impossible to take her feelings seriously. She is at best madly 'in lust' or at worst, deep in a state of psychotic infatuation. There are no realistic grounds for her feelings. The two don't even have any language in common.
Still, I'm intrigued by the potential for disastrous outcomes generated by this clash of cultures and will keep reading.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Talvaz | 5 comments Sounds interesting, I'll add it to my to-read list. ATM I'm devouring anything I can get my hands on about Richard III, and I'm 1/2 way through "Richard III's Books", a study of his library and the conclusions that can be drawn from it concerning his interests and character.

It has been possible to reconstitute his library due to the fact that he was in the habit of signing his books. Nice human touch.

message 3: by Hilda (new)

Anne wrote: "....ATM I'm devouring anything I can get my hands on about Richard III, and I'm 1/2 way through "Richard III's Books", a study of his library and the conclusions that can be drawn from it concerning his interests and character.

It has been possible to reconstitute his library due to the fact that he was in the habit of signing his books. Nice human touch."

An interesting way of assessing someone's psychological makeup. I wonder what people would make of us from our GoodReads bibliodata?

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Talvaz | 5 comments Mine would no doubt be "hopelessly confused" or "completely off her trolley"...

Checked out the White Masai and guess what, there are 3 sequels in French. She actually went back to Africa with her now teenaged daughter to visit her former husband and family.

message 5: by Hilda (new)

Anne wrote: "Mine would no doubt be "hopelessly confused" or "completely off her trolley"...

Checked out the White Masai and guess what, there are 3 sequels in French. She actually went back to Africa with her..."

Well, I guess mine's eclectic, if nothing else.
I've nearly finished The White Masai. It's gripping in that I'm constantly gobsmacked at the author's lack of foresight, her inability to realize that it might be a good idea to stop for a minute and consider the various possible outcomes of any course of action, most of which anyone else could see were likely to be disastrous. The reader gains no understanding at all of her relationship with her husband, with whom she can communicate only at the most basic level even after they've together for several years. There's no sign of any deepening understanding or closeness between them. As for the way she neglects her health both during her pregnancy and while her daughter is a baby - don't get me started!

message 6: by Cath (new)

Cath Russell | 2 comments I'm just reading Jaguars Ripped my Flesh by Tim Cahill. My first book by him though people have been recommending him to me for years. It was stange because I've also been reading Heliconia Spring, a science-fiction novel by Brian W. Aldiss. The 'strange thing' was that the towers described in the latter were just like the towers Cahill came across in the jungles of Peru... even down to the rampant vegetation growing all over them. A very odd conjunction of books!

message 7: by Hilda (new)

Cath wrote: "I'm just reading Jaguars Ripped my Flesh by Tim Cahill. My first book by him though people have been recommending him to me for years. It was stange because I've also been reading Heliconia Spring,..."

I’d never heard of this writer so thanks for bringing him to my attention. I’ve just had a look at some of his books on Amazon. Definitely worth investigating.

message 8: by Cath (new)

Cath Russell | 2 comments Hilda: People who like travel writing seem to count him as one of the best writers. Not that I come across that many people who like travel books unfortunately... although I know they're out there! LOL