The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief discussion

Was killing Smelly Gabe right?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Akash Kulgod at the end of this book Percy's mom petrified Smelly Gabe..then later she sold that statue for money...now was this right?i know that Gabe was a horrible person and all but killing someone for money seems wrong...opinions???

Gabby OH HELL YEAH! They got some money and no smelly Gabe, it's a win-win situation!

Akash Kulgod but isn't that like putting a price on life?if u kill so and so youll get money so kill him??

Gabby He could have made better choices, as well as Percy's mom. Really the question you should be asking is "Is it right to act the way that Gabe did AND Was killing Smelly Gabe right?" you can't just side one way if he did something horrible too.

Akash Kulgod what ever that guy did is it ok to kill someone and get money in return..sure that guy was pretty much evil and should be tortured alive but getting money for his death....

Hannah Gabe was a jerk and I'm pretty sure if Percy's mom hadn't killed him, someone else would've. Everybody hates him...

message 7: by Luna (last edited Mar 21, 2013 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Luna he deserved every moment of it, Slapping his mom who is the sweetest person, if she didn't do that she would have never met Percy's Step-dad.

Jacob Wang What are you talking about? Sure, he was an abusive husband and a terrible person but you really think he "should be tortured alive"? That he "deserved every moment of it"?
She friggin killed him in cold blood. Percy's mom could have just divorced him anyways and used the alimony to pay for her school.

Gabby Well, she didn't KILL HIM kill him...I've read my previous comments, and really, I can see everyone's opinion on the matter, and understand where they're coming from. But yeah, Gabe was a horrible person and I hate what he did to Percy's mum.

message 10: by Conor (new)

Conor Mcevoy u have to make an exeption for gabe ,he was a terrible person.
dont u think he would have done the same to them ,or anyone else.
he didnt have a job ,barely any freinds and even they were only aquantances and he was lazy.
to conclude i think percy's mom was right to turn him to stone and sell him.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara I have to admit that it wasn't right, I mean petrifying him was enough. But he did deserve it, he was very rude and not to mention smelly, you have a shower for a reason :P His attitude could've been improved as well. I guess Percy's mom wanted revenge, SEVERE revenge on what he did to her and Percy. But the thing is he did protect Percy unconsciously because of his smell, and that was the reason why Percy's mom married him. Gabe didn't force her to marry him, she wanted to and in the end it was her own decision, so no it was not right to sell him or turn him into stone, she could've just divorced him and if he kept coming then she could've used a more desperate tactic(i.e. turning him into stone and selling him). She did need the money after all.

Onome Etisioro To me, I believe they didn‘t have the right to kill Gabe. Yes, he‘s smelly and...bad to them and all, but that did not warrant them petrifying him. It seems VERY wrong to me on so many accounts. But then again, the Olympians never had trouble doing what they shouldn‘t.

Atlantic Gem Karma.

Laurel Because Smelly Gabe was a mortal and not a monster, he shouldn't have been turned into a statue. Yes, he was a bad guy but he's still a human being. What should have first happened was divorce. If Gabe still threatened Sally then she should have put a restraining order on him. If that wasn't enough, then Gabe should be sent to jail. Killing him (turning him into stone) wasn't necessary.

Alyssa Gabe Ugliano, was, well, ugly. Everyone hated him. Still hates him, although he's a statue. I believe that this was the right thing to do. He abused his so-called wife.

Although this may not seem fair, I partially agree with this. Whatever he did, he didn't REALLY deserve to be turned to stone by a cut-off Medusa head. But I believe this was the right thing to do. Maybe it wasn't fair, but treating his wife like a servant/slave? No. If you want to be married, be GOOD.

Maggie Not right, but a satisfying conclusion.

Lily Maggie wrote: "Not right, but a satisfying conclusion."
True dat.

message 18: by Mika (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mika Honestly these books are like modern greek mythology, with that in mind he got off easy.

whoufflestories Laurel wrote: "Because Smelly Gabe was a mortal and not a monster, he shouldn't have been turned into a statue. Yes, he was a bad guy but he's still a human being. What should have first happened was divorce. If ..."

Yep.

☽Ƹɱɱɑ☾ Okay, first of all this is a fictional book. Yes, of course killing Smelly Gabe would be horrible in real life, but as this book is not real, I was cheering when Percy turned him into a statue. I value human life and don't want anyone to be killed, but for books I make an exception.

Book thinking: Smelly Gabe got exactly what he deserved! LOL I loved that part!

Real life thinking: That is cruel. Smelly Gabe made mistakes, but everyone does. Yes, he deserved punishment, but not death.

Xsnowhite1012X Emma wrote: "Okay, first of all this is a fictional book. Yes, of course killing Smelly Gabe would be horrible in real life, but as this book is not real, I was cheering when Percy turned him into a statue. I v..."

Couldn't of put it better myself!

Abbie Jacob wrote: "She friggin killed him in cold blood. Percy's mom could have just divorced him anyways and used the alimony to pay for her school...."

Gabe was abusive to Percy's mum. She was probably scared to stand up to him.

Giacomo Akash wrote: "at the end of this book Percy's mom petrified Smelly Gabe..then later she sold that statue for money...now was this right?i know that Gabe was a horrible person and all but killing someone for mone..." He got what he deserved he was pointless to umanity

Natalie Gabe was known to be abusive. If Sally hadn't killed him, he would have killed her the moment she asked for a divorce. I think she did the right thing, although killing someone is not the right thing if you're not in danger or have the possibility of getting hurt.

message 25: by Julia (last edited Dec 16, 2013 09:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julia I agree with you, Akash. I thought it was a little off to kill him. Yes, he's a waste of flesh, but then so are a lot of people - it's not ok to just kill people. Once Percy was safe at camp, she should have just divorced him (she could have had the papers delivered by an attorney's office, so he couldn't hurt her).

I suppose he needed a way to provide Sally a happily ever after, and divorce from such jerks rarely gets rid of them for good. In reality, if she couldn't provide proof of his abuse and she was the main breadwinner, she probably would have ended up paying alimony or something.

So, as part of a work of fiction, I guess turning him into stone is a better ending.

Linda I thought it didn't fit the series. Chiron tells Percy that he should never hurt a mortal, but for some reason, that didn't apply to Gabe? Even though he was an awful person, don't forget that Gabe's smell also protected Percy from monsters as he was growing up.

While it is a book, and not real life, I felt it was a bad example for the young kids who read these books. You don't solve your problem by killing someone. I felt there were other ways that Gabe could have been dealt with and still providing the family some money.

Nicoleofan {mellie} Yes!!! He was a jerk to Percy, and Percy's life is hard enough as is.

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie I think it was written not to be viewed as a big discussed topic but just to be funny

Masen sure. Who cares about him? :p

message 30: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Silvia I don't think so. I'll admit it was pretty satisfying when Sally killed him, and the guy probably deserved it, but he was a mortal, a civilian. There was a deleted part if The Last Olympian in which Percy saw Nancy Bobofit and decided to save her and pull her away from the fighting instead of leaving her for dead. Sally should've kicked him out. but whatever, he was a side character anyway.

Murdering_Mozart I think that Sally killed him in self-defence, but . . . yeah, maybe death was a bit harsh.

message 32: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo If his death was in self-defense, then it's understandable.

Dauntless Demigod Paul wrote: "I don't think so. I'll admit it was pretty satisfying when Sally killed him, and the guy probably deserved it, but he was a mortal, a civilian. There was a deleted part if The Last Olympian in whic..."
bull is what i say to that

virrr Akash wrote: "but isn't that like putting a price on life?if u kill so and so youll get money so kill him??"
exactly! someone understands!

Kelly Brigid ♡ Akash wrote: "but isn't that like putting a price on life?if u kill so and so youll get money so kill him??"

Totally agree!

message 37: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I like to think it was actually sort of an accident. Something like Gabe deciding to see what's in the box and Sally saying, "That's not addressed to you. I don't think you should open it." Which makes him all the more eager to do so.

James Erith He had to go. Definitely. Once the truth was out, how could Gabe remain? Much better for the story.

Kaitlyn I really don't care that he's gone and I'm pretty sure lots would say so too.

Daisy Natalie wrote: "Gabe was known to be abusive. If Sally hadn't killed him, he would have killed her the moment she asked for a divorce. I think she did the right thing, although killing someone is not the right thi..."

Ok, so he did hit her, but I find it EXTREMLEY hard to believe that he would kill her the moment she asked for a divorce. C'mon, be realistic.

As Maggie said, it was a satisfying end and though it may have been wrong, it's much better to read that she finally put him in his place and turned him to stone, rather than she gave him a divorce. I mean, that's what Perseus did to King Polydectes in the myth wasn't it? Danae didn't give him a divorce did she? It was good she did it to him and sold him.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it was not wrong, not right. That stone-thing made them even.
If you notice carefully...When he slapped her, she was CASUAL about it, which makes me believe that he hit her all the time.
And actually Natalie IS right, Daisy. That is realistic. Because he never, ever would let her make a divorce. There would be a time he abused her so much, she better be off dead.
I don't think the death was harsh. Truthfully, he deserved it. I think. Because let's face it, HE WAS A DEVIL YOU KNOW!

Nyssa Akash wrote: "at the end of this book Percy's mom petrified Smelly Gabe..then later she sold that statue for money...now was this right?i know that Gabe was a horrible person and all but killing someone for mone..."

I see it as her making good of a bad situation.

His odor may have protected her son, but at what cost to the two of them? She received nothing else from him, but gave all she had to, and more - definitely more than Gabe deserved.

message 43: by THEDUDE (new) - added it

THEDUDE It was totally fair to turn gabe to stone. He did hundreds of bad things to percy's mom. Shouldn't they get him back

message 44: by Ilsa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ilsa No one knows the circumstances of Gabe's death. Percy just provided his mother with a weapon she could use at any moment. We don't know if he was attacking Sally when she froze him, only that the statue was entitled "The Poker Player". It would be ridiculous for Gabe to have been seated, playing poker, when frozen; he'd need to have some balance and weight distribution, so I assume he was standing when he was frozen. He might have been about to strike and abuse Sally, as critics describe him as "super-ugly neorealism". Sally may have frozen him in self-defense, or after asking for a divorce and he retaliated violently. Remember, she has never seen a person turned to stone and has no idea about the quality or value of the end product. Besides, after defending herself, how else would she get rid of the statue -as making a police report is impractical- than to sell it as an artwork? We don't learn anything really, though, as a mother isn't exactly going to describe details of her abuse to her 11-12 year old child. She could have killed Gabe in cold blood or it may have been self defense. Percy simply gave his mom the means to protect herself.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes. Don't get me started on the abuse Sally and Percy suffered from him. Emotional and physical. I wanted to see the end of him after the first paragraph he appeared in. What else was Sally supposed to do? He would never have gone for divorce, and it was his fault he looked into the eyes of some decapitated snake lady. Maybe he did it on accident, being curious and his retarded self. Sally wouldn't have had anything better to do than smash him after that, so why not sell it for a little money. He was no longer of use to Sally when Percy found out he was a demigod. Gabe earned his fate. I am glad Sally did what she did. It shows how hardcore she is and where Percy gets it.

DanielC_C1 It was very right. Sally only married Gabe to keep Percy safe via the strong mortal smell of Gabe. But Gabe just takes Sally for granted and slaps her around the house, ordering her around like a slave, and spending day after day, wasting his time on Poker. HE TREATS HIS FRICKIN CAR BETTER THAN HIS WIFE THAT IS THE NICEST PERSON ON THE ENTIRE PLANET! What other option did Sally have?! Divorce? Gabe will not approve. Obviously he doesn't want to lose his slave. Run away? Gabe will report to the police. Cheat on him (yes. You heard me right.) ? Gabe still doesn't want to lose his wife (aka slave) because he is incapable of living a day on his own. There is no other option other than to eliminate Gabe. Serves him right for being such a jerk. For all we know, Sally did not kill Gabe just to sell him. She might not've even killed him. Maybe she only threatened Gabe with Medusa's head by turning a cat to stone or something. Maybe she actually studied sculpture and made the sculpture the legit way. For all we know, Rick Riordan only stated that Sally sold her first statue and Gabe is gone. If Gabe actually got turned into the statue, however, Sally still did not kill him for the money. She killed Gabe just to get rid of him, and she had to get rid of the evidence (the statue) someway. She might just smash it, but it'll serve little purpose. She is simply making use of something that is useless to her.

Maggie Just something to add. Gabe physically abused Sally Jackson. My proof is in Chapter forty-one, Gabe raises his hand against Mrs.Jackson...
"He raised his hand, and my mother flinched. For the first time, I realized something. Gabe had hit my mother. I didn't know when, or how much. But I was sure he'd done it. Maybe it had been going on for years, when I wasn't around."
Gabe was an abusive step-father that only helped Percy with his gods awful stench. He almost put our beloved Percy in jail. He was also verbally abusive to Sally and Percy.

Morally, no he shouldn't have been killed, but to be honest...he was going the Fields of Punishment either way, he just got there sooner rather than later.

Najma This is a children's book. Deaths are not taken seriously in here. If you notice, in this series, deaths are taken less seriously than any other fantasy books.
Percy Jackson was written for kids. Any normal kid would be happy to read about Percy's terrible stepfather being turned into stone. However, when we, adults read this book with a mature, humane and emotional mind, we start questioning moral values in the book.

Latia Personally, I don't think it's right. No matter how horrible a person is, I don't think anyone has a right to take anybody else's life. I'm not saying that what he did to the both of them is right, but Sally knew what she was getting into as she was the one who made the decision to marry him in order to protect Percy.

Anyway, Isla (message 46) is right: we really don't know what went down when he died so all the more I can't judge her for her final decision. I just want to say that whether it was a good decision or not, I want the both of them to be aware and take responsibility for the consequences of both their actions.

Rachele Gabe absolutely got what he deserved. He was an abusive, misogynist POS. I would say the same thing if he had been killed in any number of more painful, violent ways, too. Sorry not sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

« previous 1