Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Kim Harrison
This topic is about Kim Harrison
2013 Challenge Archive > FAC: Kim Harrison (April 2013)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2013 03:09PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19623 comments Kim Harrison is a pen-name of American author Dawn Cook. Kim Harrison was born and raised in the Midwest. A self-proclaimed "former tomboy", she grew up the only girl in a family of boys.

At first, Harrison tried her hand at writing traditional science fiction, but began writing contemporary fantasy after deciding to focus more on character development. She spent the better part of a decade struggling as an aspiring author before meeting her current agent at a writing convention. He then introduced her to Diana Gill, who became Harrison's editor. Together, they produced Dead Witch Walking, and her first book was published in paperback by HarperTorch in 2004.

Under the name of Harrison, she is best known for her Rachel Morgan urban fantasy series set in an alternate history where a worldwide pandemic caused by genetically modified tomatoes led to the death of a large portion of the world's human population. Under the name of Dawn Cook, she is best known for her Decoy Princess and Truth series, published in the first few years of the 21st century.

The first two Truth books were originally one book, which was split into two separate books for publishing. That the two are the same, and that Cook was Harrison, was disclosed in a May 2009 Locus magazine article.

"I'm glad it's out in the open, because it is hard to maintain these two separate identities, and remind your friends or family when you go out, 'I'm Kim today, so don't call me Dawn.' The division has served its purpose. I'm still going to be Kim, but now if somebody calls me Dawn I won't have to say 'Shut your mouth!'"

Kim's GR page is here: Kim Harrison and Dawn Cook

Challenge Task: Read one book written by our featured author, Kim Harrison, aka Dawn Cook.
Challenge Duration: The whole month of April.

To sign up:
Post your interest and the book you are planning to read.

You must also signify if you are:
A - I'm a big fan! I'm excited to read another of her books.
B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again.
C - Totally new to this author. Will see how I like it.
D - Didn't like the last one I've read, but willing to give it another chance.

To complete:
Post the date when you've completed your book.

You must also say if, after reading:
A - would definitely look at her other books, since I've enjoyed this one very much.
B - could take it or leave it. Was not an unpleasant experience but I'm not burning rubber to get to her other books.
C - Oh well, I tried. Definitely not my cup of tea.

A little review of the book read is welcomed but not required.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 05, 2013 02:52AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19623 comments Where we started:

A:
√ Valorie
√ Lacy
√ Suzanne

B:
√ Kami
√ KarenF
BJ Rose
√ Nichole
Bookcrazy
√ Leslie
Ann
√ Ashwag

C:
√ Skandia
√ MountainKat
√ KarenH
Dee
√ Roxy
√ Yz
Sandra
Sassafrass
Susan(q)
√ Patricia
Vi

D:
Jane
√ Elizabeth
Aimie

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited May 05, 2013 02:50AM) (new)

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:18AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19623 comments I've read one novella by KH but I didn't enjoy it, so that makes me a 'D'.

Not sure what I'll choose for my April read yet.

***edit***

Thought I was going mad as I couldn't work out which book I had read. I've now realised it was
Dates From Hell (Hollows #2.5) which is a back story on Ivy (whoever that is)... It was def not my cup of tea. *sigh* What to read??

message 5: by Skandia (last edited Mar 21, 2013 12:36AM) (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments I have never read her books also. So I will start as a C and probably will read
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

message 6: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19627 comments I'm a C, no clue what I am going to read as I am completely unfamiliar with any of her work!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I'm a D and I'll probably read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison

message 8: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments I'm a C, and beyond having seen the name I know absolutely nothing about this author. I'll probably be reading Dead Witch Walking, since it's the first in the series and my library has it available.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I think I have dead witch walking somewhere on the pile - I'm a C

message 10: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments I'm in and I'm a C. Will check what is available at the library...

message 11: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I'm in. I'm a 'B'. I will read Something Deadly This Way Comes (Madison Avery, #3)

message 12: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm in. I'm a C. I guess the most obvious choice will be the first book in her The Hollows series.

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments I'm a C. I've got Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison so I'll read that one.

message 14: by Valorie (last edited Mar 23, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Valorie  | 2218 comments I'm an A. I really enjoyed the first book, so I'll move on to The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison

message 15: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 1099 comments I'd say I'm a B. I've read quite a bit of the Rachel Morgan series and there are things I really like about it and things that make me stabby. My enjoyment of each book depends on which things are featured.

I'm up to Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison so I'll read that one.

message 16: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments I'm a C and I've got the audio for Dead Witch Walking, so I'll give that a try.

message 17: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments I'm an 'A' and I need to read the newest one in the Rachel Morgan Series.

Ever After (The Hollows, #11) by Kim Harrison

message 18: by Aimie (new)

Aimie (aim4theneck) | 54 comments I'm D.. Read Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison a while back and wasn't fussed with it, but I'll give her another go and read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison :)

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 720 comments I'm a C. I think I have Dead Witch Walking On the shelf. I'll have to check.

message 20: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 4413 comments I've read one of her books, so I guess that makes me a B.
Will likely read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

message 21: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments I'm a B and will be reading Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison

message 22: by Bookcrazy (last edited Mar 25, 2013 05:58AM) (new)

Bookcrazy | 71 comments I'm a B and next month I'll read White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison .

message 23: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I am slowing making my way through this series, and I had planned to read this one in April. I guess I'm somewhere between an A, B and occasionally D. We'll see how it goes after this book.

Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison

message 24: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I'm in. I'm a C for this author. Will check the author's website and then the library.

message 25: by Ann (Noumena12) (new)

Ann (Noumena12) (noumena12) | 126 comments I'm in. I'm a B - Familiar with her work, and wouldn't mind reading her again. I've read the Hollows through The Outlaw Demon Wails (Book #6).

I'm not sure if I will read White Witch, Black Curse (Book #7) or jump to Ever After (current book).

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments Funny, I had Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison down to read for April anyway. Must be fate. LOL.

I'm a C.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 162 comments I am a B, and I'll try Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

message 28: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I'm an A and I'm in!

message 29: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments I finished Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison last night. This one was 4.5 stars for me, I really liked it. I'm not going to write a review because I suck at it :) But I like where this series is going and will be reading the next one before too long.

message 30: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19623 comments Here are our stats from our March FAC - Karen Robards. (I can't always do them right at the end of the month due to work committments, so I figure I'll post them in both the relevant FAC author's thread and the new FAC thread :)

Stats on Karen Robards FAC Challenge:

A: None of our 3 As reported back in on completion :( Although I do know that one of them did intend to start ;)
B: All 6 Bs remain Bs
C: 7 Cs became As (39%); the other 11 Cs became Bs (61%)
D: There were none :)

And no-one rated their experience a C either!

Here are the top books read:
Scandalous (Banning Sisters trilogy, #1) by Karen Robards - 5 times
Superstition by Karen Robards - 3 times
Heartbreaker by Karen Robards - twice
Bait by Karen Robards Beachcomber by Karen Robards Forbidden Love by Karen Robards Ghost Moon by Karen Robards Guilty by Karen Robards Irresistible (Banning Sisters trilogy, #2) by Karen Robards Island Flame (Pirates, #1) by Karen Robards Morning Song by Karen Robards Night Magic by Karen Robards Nobody's Angel by Karen Robards One Summer by Karen Robards Paradise County by Karen Robards Pursuit (Jessica Ford, #1) by Karen Robards Shameless (Banning Sisters Trilogy #3) by Karen Robards Shattered by Karen Robards The Last Victim (Dr. Charlotte Stone #1) by Karen Robards The Midnight Hour by Karen Robards Vanished by Karen Robards Wild Orchids by Karen Robards - once

message 31: by Nichole (new)

Nichole | 1010 comments I started as a B and now I'm an A. I don't know if it was the gap in between books for me or what, but I really liked Pale Demon and will be reading the next 2 books very soon.

message 32: by Kami (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I finished my book Something Deadly This Way Comes, the last book in the Madison Avery trilogy. I thought it was okay so I gave it three stars. I started a 'B' and I end a 'B'.

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1916 comments I read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison and Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison I really enjoyed them, especially #3. This series keeps getting better. I'm now an A.

message 34: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I'm in and a C. I'll read Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison

message 35: by Debra (new)

Debra (countrymom6) | 166 comments I'm in if not to late n I'm going with Dead Witch Walking.

message 36: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 1099 comments I finished Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison yesterday. As others have said I really enjoyed this one. It's my favorite of the series so far. The things that used to annoy me seem to be happening with less frequency and not at all in this one.

I started as a B and I'll move myself up to an A.

message 37: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments Just finished Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison and I liked this one better than the other two and it gives me hope for the rest of the series. I started out as a low B and have moved up to a low A.

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19623 comments Debra wrote: "I'm in if not to late n I'm going with Dead Witch Walking."

It's not too late! :)

message 39: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I finished Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison like a week ago but just forgot to post about it.

I thought it was just an okay read. There were moments I wanted to stop reading. I started a C and I finished as a low B.

message 40: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 6903 comments I finished Dead Witch Walking today, and while there was nothing wrong with it, it also never drew me in. I might read the next book in the series at some point in the future, but I'm certainly not in any hurry. I started as a C and end as a low B.

message 41: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 19627 comments ~KarenH~ wrote: "I finished Dead Witch Walking today, and while there was nothing wrong with it, it also never drew me in. I might read the next book in the series at some point in the future, but I'm certainly no..."

Surprise, surprise... I completely agree with Karen. I also finished Dead Witch Walking today and I sort of struggled to finish. There was nothing wrong with it, but it was way to easy to put down and not pick up again. I started a C and finished a low B, I might pick up another book by this author but I am in no hurry.

message 42: by Roxy (new)

Roxy (roxym) | 208 comments So, I started this challenge as a C and am ending it as a C. I tried to read Dead Witch Walking and could not finish it. I even tried reading it at the gym. It is a very bad day when I end up watching an episode of The Real Housewives of New Jersey on the gym tv rather than read. It would seem that of the readers here, my reaction was typical.

message 43: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments I'm still an A! I finished Ever After on 4/25/2013 and I loved it. I can't wait for the next one to come out!

message 44: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments Finished Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison and it was really good. Great world, colorful characters and well written. I definitely continue with the series soon!
I started as a C and finish as an A.

message 45: by Valorie (new)

Valorie  | 2218 comments I finished The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison and really enjoyed it. I started as an A and I'm finishing as an A!

message 46: by Bookcrazy (new)

Bookcrazy | 71 comments I'm starting White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison today.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 162 comments well, finished Dead Witch Walking (04/27) I was a B and now I am unfortunately a C :(

message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2049 comments I read A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison and Loved IT!! I started out an A and ended an A. These books are so funny, always entertaining!

message 49: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Solla (tedebear1998) | 244 comments I tried reading Dead Witch Walking but didn't like it. You can make me a C for this author.

message 50: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 4260 comments I started Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison but I haven't finished it yet :( I will finish it but I better read May challenge books first as I haven't started them either.

So I'll have be a fail this month.

« previous 1