Bookhungry discussion

Books and Reading > Books Suggestions for April

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison Virtue | 131 comments Mod
So, I'm not sure exactly how this will work. I figure a monthly turnaround time is reasonable, we start reading a book on the first, and finish at the end of the month. As for how we decide WHAT to read...

This is the thread for book suggestions. If we can't come up with a better system, I'll imperiously decide on a book depending on what the fuzzy consensus seems to be. We could set up a poll...or members could alternate picking, which will work as long as the group is small.

(A note: As I am writing this, I am the only member, which makes me feel very silly talking about a group being so big we can't alternate who picks.)

message 2: by Allison (new)

So, book suggestions!

The Last Dragonslayer, by Jasper Fforde. A charming YA book by an author I really enjoy. Also, it's shorter, which makes it a nice first book.

The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman. I know a lot of people have read Neil, but not a lot seem to have read the Graveyard book. I'd like to get other people's takes on it.

Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. I love this author, and I love this series. It's not the best book in this series, but it's the first, and the idea of not starting at the beginning irks me. Otherwise, I'd probably start with Thud. But then we would be in the middle of the series. Thoughts?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (baronessheather) | 24 comments Of the ones Allison mentions, I'm most interested in the first. I've read some of Fforde's Thursday Next series, so I'd be interested in reading something else of his. I do have copies of the other two and enjoy them, so I definitely wouldn't be opposed.

For Discworld, I'd start with Guards! Guards! since that's the start of an arc of books that do have an order and refer back to things that happened in previous ones. Not impossible to read out of order, but I think you get more out of them in order.

For my suggestions:

The Serpent's Shadow by Mercedes Lackey - upon reading the Parasol Protectorate books, I think others who enjoyed those would like Lackey's Elemental Masters books, and this one is set in London, too.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I suggest that mostly because I was planning to read it again soon anyway! My friend is playing Richard Mayhew in the stage production, so I want to refamiliarize myself with it.

Postcards from the Edge by Carrie Fisher. I've been wanting to read some of her fiction for a while, since her memoir Wishful Drinking showed me that she can really tell a story.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Heather wrote: "Of the ones Allison mentions, I'm most interested in the first. I've read some of Fforde's Thursday Next series, so I'd be interested in reading something else of his. I do have copies of the other..."

Mmm, I've been hearing a lot about this Elemental Master's books...I think that's the one I'm most interested in from your suggestions, though I'm really curious about Carrie Fisher's fiction as well.

message 5: by Bon (new)

Bon (bonne) I recently read the first Thursday Next series and I, too, am interested in reading more Jasper Fforde.

Mercedes Lackey is an author I never have gotten around to reading, mostly because of her last name (...my detested middle name) and her book covers. I honestly thought she was a romance author.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was great! I also really liked American Gods, by the same.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (baronessheather) | 24 comments Lackey does do some romance novels, but for the most part she does fantasy. Some of the covers really are AWFUL and don't represent the books at all.

message 7: by Allison (new)

So, right now it looks like a choice between exploring more Fforde, and attempting to redeem Mercedes Lackey.

Bon, your middle name is Lackey? :/ That must have...been a growing experience.

My problem is I read one book by Mercedes Lackey at the same time I read one by Anne McCaffrey. The two have become blurred in my head. I'd like the chance to let Mercedes shine on her own for a bit.

message 8: by Bon (new)

Bon (bonne) Oh my, yes it was. It's a family name from a few generations back (I guess my ancestors were servants!) and I've only recently come to accept it. When I was a kid, I would be really cagey about what the L stood for and usually let people be convinced it was Laura or something along those lines.

I'm definitely willing to read Mercedes Lackey now though, especially since she doesn't do just romance!

message 9: by Nishtha (new)

Nishtha Jindal (nishthajindal) | 26 comments Hi! I'm a BIG fan of Twilight. The author of it is Stephenie Meyer, as you might know. A week back I started reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer, thinking that it would be almost as good as Twilight, their author being the same. And believe me, it seriously is! It includes many genres like romance, fantasy and a tiny bit of humour. The Host was soo good I finished it in less than a week! The pages just keep flipping by my eyes. I would surely recommend this book to all of you!
And almost all the members of this group are Sci fi lovers, so I thought that maybe you all would like a diversion:)