The Sword and Laser discussion

SF books that mention other SF books.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Anderson | 60 comments I just got finished reading The Ghost Brigades, and I was surprised by the fact that both Starship Troopers and The Forever War are both mentioned and discussed. What does everyone else think? Is mentioning other SF books awesome, or is it just namedropping?

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8146 comments It runs the risk of breaking the fourth wall and dropping the reader out of the story, but I'm not against it per se. It usually works better in lighter fare, such as the Iron Druid books or Ready Player One, the latter which is pretty much all about that sort of thing.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1134 comments I think it's fine. Many stories reference The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, or Alice in Wonderland, why not other classic science fiction novels?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Among Others is a fantasy novel about SF books.

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex | 39 comments Phil wrote: "I think it's fine. Many stories reference The Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, or Alice in Wonderland, why not other classic science fiction novels?"

Hear, hear.

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6715 comments Mod
Dark Tower mentions all kinds of stuff..

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I really don't see a problem with it if it's in stories that are supposed to take place in "our future". It's not any weirder than any other historical or cultural reference IMO.

Then of course there are books like the already mentioned Ready Player One and Among Others which whole reason of existence is as an ode to the genre or geek culture as a whole. They're crammed full of references Those are both great (but very different from each other) books by the way.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Jim C. Hines Bibliomancy...great book BTW mentions many other books from many genres and uses them brilliantly :)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments An earlier example (1957) is John Wyndham's The Midwich Cuckoos. A character confesses the only templates he has for dealing with an alien invasion are science fiction stories. He makes some broad comments on typical alien invasion stories in American and British SF before lamenting none are really relevant to their situation.

It was a nice bit of genre savviness on the character's part. I mean, if any of us learned tomorrow that zombies, or vampires, or alien invaders were real, you know we'd at least think about related genre works.

message 10: by Rich (new)

Rich (justanothergringo) | 98 comments Jenny wrote: "Among Others is a fantasy novel about SF books."

You had to have a PhD in SciFi Lit to keep up with all the book and author mentions in Among Others

message 11: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Rich wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Among Others is a fantasy novel about SF books."

You had to have a PhD in SciFi Lit to keep up with all the book and author mentions in Among Others"

Try keeping up with Walton's blog at Tor.com. She's an amazingly prolific reader.

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Paul wrote: "Jim C. Hines Bibliomancy...great book BTW mentions many other books from many genres and uses them brilliantly :)"

The title is Libriomancer, but I ditto the praise. A very fun UF.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Michael wrote: "Paul wrote: "Jim C. Hines Bibliomancy...great book BTW mentions many other books from many genres and uses them brilliantly :)"

The title is Libriomancer, but I ditto the praise. A very fun UF."

Michael wrote: "Paul wrote: "Jim C. Hines Bibliomancy...great book BTW mentions many other books from many genres and uses them brilliantly :)"

The title is Libriomancer, but I ditto the praise. A very fun UF."

D'oh! I can't believe I did that. Thanks Michael...Your fantastic Geekomancy book (cant wait for part Two does some of that kind of that great geeky referencing too.
Whens part two anyway?

Yes Jim C HInes Libriomancer...And Michael Underwood's Geekomancy ...remind me of the fun I had Reading Ready Player One

message 14: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments NESFA press did a compendium some years back of various books and short stories that refer to sf. Their online update looks like it goes up to 2008.

I read King Davids Spaceship because it was mentioned in Fallen Angels, a story of how sf fans saved some astronauts. Personally, I think it's awesome to namecheck other sf.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2244 comments Not precisely the same thing, but in Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle (an alien invasion novel), at one point the government convenes a group of well-known SF writers to come up with possible explanations or responses to the invasion (haven't read the book in years, so my recollections are fuzzy). The authors seem to be serial-number-filed-off versions of real folks -- for example, the one I remember is named "Robert Anson".

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael Underwood | 116 comments Paul wrote: D'oh! I can't believe I did that. Thanks Michael...Your fantastic Geekomancy book (cant wait for part Two does some of that kind of that great geeky referencing too.
Whens part two anyway?."

The second Ree Reyes book, Celebromancy, is coming July 15th. :)

I also have to give Among Others a thumbs-up. A beautifully-written example of how fandom can help bring people together.