5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 8 Here

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 25, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The eighth text is "You're not ordinary, Gwyneth," whispered as he began stroking my hair. " Your're really absolutely extraordinary. You don't need the magic of any raven to be special to me." This text means that Gideon likes her a lot because after words he kisses her even though that before he told her he did not like her.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments “Gripping my arm, Mother held it in the orange-blue flame. My skin seemed to explode from the heat.” David had many punishments like getting hit, sleeping in the garage, or holding his arm on a flame, his mother was trying to get a point across an just was angry an was a really bad mom but some moments like when the father was home she was the best mom ever (Page 41 chapter 2 )

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 5:44
"but i tell you,love your enemies and pray for those who perscute you" jesus is saying never hate those who bring you down but pray that there life will be better and they will find god, and in return help others... the cycle would continue on and on

message 5: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "The last finalist, almost had it won. Poor thing went insane and then there were none." page 11, chapter one. This was a brief explanation to last times experience with the contestants. When he went insane he either killed him self or got killed by traps. Last competition no one won the worthy prize. So this year the winner gets last years and this years prize.

message 6: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments I want A f!!!!!!

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments Chapter 27, page 385. "There was a plan to break us out of the arena from the moment the quell was announced." Everyone was planning to break them out of the fight but they didn't know about it, as a result many people were taken by the Capitol. She is just now finding out about all of it and doesn't seem to realize how much of an impact it has on everything yet.

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "That's what they were doing last Sunday. Jamming frequencies so the Iraqis couldn't set off their IED's by cell phone," pg 189. This shows that the military isn't trying to civilize the country by brute force as anticipated by the soldiers in the beginning of the book.

message 9: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot camp by Todd Strasser chapter 14 page 123
"I would beat Adam into a bloody pulp"
He's aid this because he had beef with someone else in the boot camp as well

message 10: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments "Wow. You may be older. By I'm so much smarter than you." This quote is saying that even though Ronnie is older than her brother Jonah, he is smarter than her when making decisions.

message 11: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "They began to live by it as best they could, and when their loved ones died, a believer would arise beside the grave to be the Speaker for the Dead, and say what the dead one would have said, but with full candor, hiding no faults and pretending no virtues." (Card, p. 322-333).

This is the most amazing part of the book and the most interesting concept I've ever really heard. The idea to remove all the lies and heartaches of life by telling the truest stories. To clean the slate and die without anymore judgements for we all have the good and bad in our lives. The fact that this sort of became a religion to them, not something you devise your life to but merely listen to a factual truth. In today's society we could really use some candor at least at the end of our life. Personally

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made..."
This basically sums up everything about Tom and Daisy. And now I realize that they are too much alike, and that is what keeps them together. Daisy is the reason that Gatsby died, because she couldn't take responsibility for what she did. And Tom is exactly like that too. They just hide in all their money and their charm and pretend they're perfect and let everyone else around them take care of everything else.

message 13: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments Cannery Row- chapter 29 page 181 "Over at the laboratory, Doc had a little whiskey after his beer. He was feeling a little mellow. It seemed a nice thing to him that they would want to give them another party. But was not in favor of having another party.

Since Doc did not want a party I predict that Mack and the boys feelings will be hurt when they throw him a part is not excited. Then once it gets out of hand Doc will become angered at them for causing such a disastrous event.

message 14: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "Cole change in two ways- with slow persistent pressure, or with a single and sudden traumatic experience."

Cole got himself mauled by a bear. I think that anyone would change after that. After Cole's "traumatic experience" he was much more calm and was learning to deal with his anger.

message 15: by Makenna (last edited Apr 26, 2013 06:10PM) (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- "It can't get any worse than this."
pg 212
The funny thing is though, it does get worse. A lot worse actually. There will be even more tears, blood and sadness shed during these lovely characters livelihood. That is why this statement from the book is a haha moment.

message 16: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony Snicket

"The End is really the middle of the story, as many people in this history will live long past the close of the Chapter Thirteen" (p.g 289 Chapter 13).

This happens in any book ever read. Even though you finish the book you still go on with life and just move on to another book. All the characters in this book just keep doing the same thing because of it being a book.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “Dad kept staring at me, shaking his head like it was all my fault and there was no way he was ever going to forgive me.
‘You irresponsible jerk!’ he yelled as soon as I was done explaining. ‘Why couldn’t the car have hit…’” (Page 240)

Now this ended any respect I may have had for the dad. Gray was out running with the family’s dog, Barker, at night when a car came by and ran over the Barker, killing him. No father should ever say that he wished that his child would have gotten hit instead, no matter how upset he was. I would have hoped that the dad would have been glad that Gray hadn’t been hit too, but instead he wanted to lash out at Gray.

message 18: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments “He couldn’t walk away, even in defeat.” When you have questioned coaching the team all year long you wonder how long you will make it. When your team comes together and buys in then it makes you really feel like your making an impact and people are depending on you and through their loss he feels that since they came together in the end he wants to stay for the next year.

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments " or you may die, and loving words are sealed inside your head. They'll never reach his longing ears. Because your Los are dead" this quote is a an example of justice because they are saying that you're secret is safe with me

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “Good job right there,” Hicks told Will in front of his teammates as they watched the play again on the game tape.”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...

You always embark on your past. You are only as good as your previous performance. The town appreciates what he did for the team

message 21: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jacker's Stone
During the final chapter in the book it reads ".......only had I known that the stone had putter me in a trance" which he awakes from and is return home to Leland Matt and Gifford. The stone was a stone that Fischer had found in the woods in which this whole dream had began meaning when he first picked up the stone he was put in a trance instantly, the whole time his life was happening really he was standing in he woods with the Jacker's Stone in hand in a state of trance

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - page 131 "Mack was in the toilet cleaning his bloody face with wet paper towels" he felt beat down and had to push through and challenge himself