5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 7 Here

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments Page 36 chapter2
"School was heaven for me" school was a place to be away from his mom, an not worry about when she was going to come up behind him an hurt him in any way shape or form, an he knew he was save an would get food an to go to the bathroom.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 16:26
"what good would it be to gain the whole world, yet forefit your soul? or what can you give in exchange for your soul?" you shouldn't give your soul away for the anything but havefullness in your heart and give away your love

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 20:7
"but noone has hired us"
jesus told them to work for them because it was not there fault they were not hired he was only helping the poor which is why he was loved by all of his followers

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments Chapter 22, page 318. "For me, the jungle has quickly evolved from a place of protection to a sinister trap." The place they thought would be the safest to go to hide out and get some rest, ended up being like everywhere else, a trap. Now they have to try and find a different place to get some rest and make sure it's really safe before doing so.

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "We'll make sure that everything damaged is noted so we can pay for it," pg 164. This shows that the soldiers and military try to compensate for whatever damage that is caused, even if it isn't caused by their unit. That is the role of the Civil Affairs Unit, to make friends with the locals.

message 7: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot camp by Todd Strasser chapter 13 page 115
Dear Sabrino
You haven't heard from me because my parents sent me away
This is a letter that he wrote for one of his friends explain that he got sent away

message 8: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "To have Ian Trembling himself tell the story.my God, I was actually scared." Page 33. This told me that this is going to be very dangerous and freighting. this also means that this place is not a scam to scare away contestants, its a real haunted mansion filled with death traps. For the announcer to be scared and trembling put even more fear into the contestants.

message 9: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments “Love is fragile. And we're not always its best caretakers. We just muddle through and do the best we can. And hope this fragile thing survives against all odds.” This is saying that love is easily broken. That we dont always take care of it like we should. And because of that we hope that it remains un broken.

message 10: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "... Bean looked at him and realized that the impossible was happening. Far from baiting him, Ender Wiggin was actually confiding in him. ... Ender was human and Bean had been allowed to see."

Ender isn't seen as human, to his friends and family because he has the big task of save the entire world. People often mistake their heroes for superhuman and they are wrong. Ender is a boy no older than twelve and he must destroy an alien race to save a home he hasn't seen in years. The society that came up this plan is one that is completely and utterly senseless. This manipulation of this boy will leave him scared for what may seem like an enter its. That confiding to the one kid that might relate to him doesn't even work because Bean has the luxeruy of haven't Ender there with him.

message 11: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream--a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought--a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!”
This quote is saying that the world around us is just a dream and we're the only one who exist's and we create everyone else

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- " 'She does though. The trouble is that sometimes she gets foolish ideas in her head and doesn't know what she's doing."
Tom is saying this about Daisy when Gatsby is trying to tell him that she never loved him. This is Tom's way of thinking that he has some ownership over Daisy, and he always thinks that he knows everything about her. When in reality, it doesn't seem like he loves or cares about her at all. And even though he is slightly right, and Daisy does get ideas into her head, he has no right to say anything about her.

message 13: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments Cannery Row chapter 25 page 158 & 159 "Hazel said, If we knew when was Doc's birthday, we could give him a birthday party. Then Mack states how that is a great idea but they need to find out when. Hughie says that will be easy why don't we ask him? And Mack says because he would catch on since we have already thrown him one before."

Mack and the boys threw a crazy party earlier in the book. Which had everyone partying from the cops to the store owners to the whores, it got way out of hand. So if Mack and the boys plan on throwing him another party, then they will probably want it to be better than the last one so this could destroy the town.

message 14: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "I had a dream... People helped me, then they turned into monsters and laughed at me... why do you guys help me?"

Cole didn't want to trust anyone he didn't even really know why anyone liked him. He really didn't know why anyone would want to help him. Never the less people did.

message 15: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- ""I guess it was funnier back then," Hanna said quietly." pg 209
When they were younger, these girls were the vicious and conniving mean girls whom everyone feared. They said things and did things to people, simply because they could. After all this time, the girls had grown up.

message 16: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony Snicket

"If you ask one question, it will lead you to another, and another, and another. It's like peeling an onion" (p.g 218 Chapter 10).

This connects to the beginning paragraph of the book. In the beginning it connected yourself to peeling an onion. Now it's connecting peeling an onion to the orphans story.

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “’Yeah,’ I said; I was still staring at the gun. It was as if it and I were connected, and I knew how. It was like an answer to a prayer…” (Page 216)

This is when I became very concerned about Gray. I already knew that the book was about a school shooting, but this would have made it clear to anyone that didn’t. Nancy Garden, the author, does a good job at trying to keep the reader’s opinion about Gray as neutral. This was the turning point for my opinion of him, as I was on his side for most of the book up until now.

message 18: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments “The school year was almost over and the team’s five seniors were about to leave this gym forever. " you would never realize what it feels like for the seniors to never get to play again. Most aren't going to play college ball so this would be their last organized basketball league. They didn't accomplish what they wanted which was winning state and after the season you always feel you could have done better and that's what's hard about being a senior, you'll never get another shot.

message 19: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments " Sylvia was keeping score, tallying up my misdeeds.." This quote is a form of justice because once Sylvia tells then alic is in trouble. So Sylvia would get justice out of the whole situation

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “And Hicks seemed to agree. In his locker room speech before the Lexington Christian game, he kept singling out his quietest player, praising him for his play at the Beach Ball and telling the other boys to find Chad on the floor tonight, to get the ball to Chad”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/outs...

This shows that one good performance can boost your whole teams confidence. He was no longer looked as a bench warmer, but a contributer.

message 21: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments " I've seen garvage cans cleaber than these streets that they live on."

He is in a city in pakistan (the name of thebcity is secret.). He is explaining in great detail, the living conditions of the people. He says that the city is rat and bug infested, and that disease is very common. One of the poorest places he has ever seen in his life.

message 22: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jacker's Stone
Their are also other letters from the news and other sources that have been notified, such one being "Missouri Floods Reliance As Storms Rock South Dakota". Just a news report from where Fischer is at this point in the story.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - page 130 "Mack's head jolted but he was braced now so he wouldn't fall. And his hands stayed at his sides" Mack is now in a life threading positions this is a big scene in the book