5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 6 Here

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The sixth text is "Of course. You came to see us in durham when Gwyneth was born. I remember you too. This is Gwyneth.She's the Ruby you'er waiting for." This text means that she is the Ruby not he rcousin Charlotte. She is the one who goes in the past not her cousin.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The seventh text is "I'd call that an entirely superflusous warning, Uncle Falk," said Gideon, crossing his arms. "she's difinitely not my type." This text means that gideon will fall in love with Gwyneth in the future but right now he's in love with he rcousin but that will change soon once he gets to know Gwyneth.

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments Page 21, chapter 2
"During those good years" David's life housed to be happy an fun an a pretty normal kids life but eventually things changed an became the total opposite of good/happy.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 7:15
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you as sheep's clothing, but inwardly there ferocious wolves" what is being said is that other may try to convince you to do something for there benefit but god is the only one to follow

message 6: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments "I know any move I make toward Darius, any act is recognition, would only result on punishment for him." This is important because it says that if she even tried to say hi then he would be punished for it, just because he's not like everyone else.

message 7: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "You get all the pleasures of the puppeteer. Until you get a soldier who can do more than anyone else. You can't have that. It spoils the symmetry." (Card, p. 168).

First the idea of symmetry in the military is something to question. Is is better to have predictability of co-members and the strict enforcement of ideals? The approach taken by Ender to be unconventional and trusting the members of his army to work while working on their own in a sense. In the American military though, is there a symmetry of keeping all soldiers in the same sense of mind and place on the battlefield? How much symmetry is actually still seen around today?

message 8: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "... the Iraqis sent a mortar shell into our HQ... A television reporter packed up his bags and left THAT DAY! We all laughed but have gone with him in a heartbeat." pg 106. The soldiers are finding common ground, as they laugh about things that they themselves would do if they had the opportunity. I think that this also shows that the soldiers don't want to be where they are now, which is where they craved to be in the beginning.

message 9: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot camp by Todd Strasser chapter 11 page 96
" I've been there too many times " this is a letter that he received from his parents while he was in the boot camp

message 10: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot camp by Todd Strasser chapter 11 page 96
" I've been there too many times " this is a letter that he received from his parents while he was in the boot camp

message 11: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "Before we enter this house there is something everyone needs to know. There is a story that everyone that enters this place is never seen again, Because it's haunted so best of luck." pg 27-28. This scared some of the contestants, some even quit. This comment was either a warning or scheme to eliminate some of contestants. This was even more dangerous than the last one because this one is haunted and has traps waiting to kill contestants.

message 12: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments "Its survival of the fittest out here." (Pg 39 chapter 5)

He is saying while at war, you have to be strong physically and mentally if you want to survive tge hardships. If you are not strong either way you will be killed in action and never get to see your family again. Which he is planning on seeing them again.

message 13: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments “It hadn't been so long ago, yet sometimes she felt that she'd been an altogether different person back then.” This quote is saying that just in a short amount of time she (Ronnie) had changed. She wasn't how she used to be not long ago.

message 14: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “It made one mad, for pleasure; and we could not take our eyes from him, and the looks that went out of our eyes came from our hearts, and their dumb speech was worship.”
This quote is saying that the people worshiped the speech as it was a god

message 15: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “It made one mad, for pleasure; and we could not take our eyes from him, and the looks that went out of our eyes came from our hearts, and their dumb speech was worship.”
This quote is saying that the people worshiped the speech as it was a god

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- "There is no confusion like the confusion of a simple mind, and as we drove away Tom was feeling the hot whips of panic. His wife and his mistress, until an hour ago secure and inviolate, were slipping precipitately from his control."
In this quote I think Nick is actually foreshadowing that something will happen to Daisy or Myrtle soon. Daisy is slipping from him because he is realizing what is going on between her and Gatsby. And he is realizing that his mistress also has a life outside of him that he never knew about. I think Tom deserves all that is happening to him.

message 17: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments Cannery Row- In the beginning of chapter two page 134 "Henri the painter was not French and his name was not Henri. Also he was not really a painter. Henri had so steeped himself in stories of the Left Bank in Paris that he lived there although he had never been there."

Which paints a picture like he will try to get what ever he wants by lying, cheating, or stealing from anyone he encounters. He may become close to some of the people and when they really need "Henri" most he will abandon them.

message 18: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "Then suddenly, he awoke. His eyes opened. And nothing made sense. Gone were the bay and the fallen tree. A dark, restless sky still moved ahead"

Cole is confused. He has lost a lot of blood and s in a lot of pain. Right before he awoke he thought he was dying, but now he doesn't know what's happening.

message 19: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- "Emily smiled in that I-don't-know-what-to-say-to-you way." pg 109
Alison was the missing piece. The Rosetta stone of the group. Without her, the clique teenage girl group, were nothing. Now that she had disappeared, they had drifted apart.

message 20: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony Snicket

"the items that has washed up on the shores of the island over the years could answer any question the Baudelaries had, and thousands more questions they'd never thought of" (pg. 195 Chapter 9).

This was probably the reason why Ishmael didn't want any one to have items on the island. He was afraid that people would find a way to leave him all alone. He enjoyed having power over the island so he wanted to keep it that way.

message 21: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “…and in a few seconds Dad yelled, ‘Lessons! How many times do I have to tell you that it’s not a good idea to encourage him in this? Music’s an okay hobby, I suppose, but it’s not going to earn him a living, and if he doesn’t do better in school and develop some ambition, he’s going to end up no better than a janitor or a grocery store clerk or in some other … dead-end job.’” (Page 191)

Throughout the book, the dad bashes music and Gray’s hobbies of playing drums and writing music. This time was the one that offended me most, as the dad is very clearly giving his opinion about musicians. He very bluntly compares a musical profession to being like a janitor, clerk, or other “dead-end jobs” that he doesn’t approve of.

message 22: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments “The boys just wanted to get to the locker room, where, alone at last, they began to cry.” them crying shows how much this last season meant for them and how bad they wanted to be remembered. You don't usually cry after a regular season game how ever the people who want it the most do. This is the author showing how much they wanted to win every game.

message 23: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments " I suddenly wished I were catholic, if I were I could go to a priest and tell him what i did wrong" this quote is saying she is guilty and she wants a way to get out all of the guilt to make herself feel better

message 24: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “The local newspaper, the Georgetown News-Graphic, tried reminding people how good they still had it”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/outs...

The boys were such highly looked apon by the town and state they were featured in newspaper articles.

message 25: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jackers Stone
Their are multiple jobs and letter describe which he has chosen in his travels which he has partaken in in his daise

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - chapter 20 "the boys blocked up the front wheels, drained what gasoline was left into a five gallon an, took their frogs and went wearily home to the palace flophouse." They were mad an decided to get their revenge do what they could, it also shows that a conflict is about to arise

message 27: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments "Somehow the killing of a giant spider, all alone by himself in the dark without the help of a wizard or the dwarves or anyone else, made a great difference to Mr. Baggins. He felt a different person, and much fiercer and bolder in spite of an empty stomach as he wiped his sword on the grass and put it back into its sheath."(pg.155,ch.8)-After killing one of the great spiders, Bilbo doesn't feel quite right. The killing of the spider makes him feel new and bold. As this quote shows, a new Bilbo is born in a way. Since this is his first time killing on his own, he is now independent.