5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 5 Here

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The fifth text "What had just happened was more than I could take in for a moment. The girl, the gorgeous guy, the kiss....
Th girl hadn't just looked like me.
The girl was me. This text means that her aunt will be kissing someone in the past.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments “I was abused, my family was the "brady bunch” David's family was perfect an happy we're they were all kind an were so sweet, just like in the Brady bunch, but eventually got treated really badly (Page 17 chapter 2)

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 16:17
"Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for it was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my father in heaven" Jesus told Simon he was blessed because he knew he was the messiah, but not because he was told , because of his relationship with god.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments Chapter 13, page 172. "Without hesitation, he reads, 'On the seventy-fifth anniversary, as a reminder to the rebels that even the strongest among them cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the male and female tributes will be reaped from their existing pool of victors."' This quote is important because this means that 2/3 of the remaining victors in their district will have to go back to the place they are most scared of and will have less of a chance to live through it again.

message 6: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "What bothered Valentine most was when her column got syndicated into several other regional newsnets, and Father started reading it and quoting from it at table." (Card, p. 137).

What really astounds me about this book is probably the impact these children had on their world. Using false identities to manipulate the public to not only believe Peter and Valentine but agree with them. For what purpose they had for wanting it this way i don't fully comprehend; supposedly Peter had an overwhelming need to control and depict everything around him. All throughout the book it is suggested Peter is the shadow archetype in both Valentine and Ender's lives and the scariest thought for them is that they have a part of them that is Peter. So Peter taking over Earth turned out for the better even though frightening.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "I looked and saw a neat line of bullet holes. Who had been shooting at us? Had one of our own guys shot our Humvee?", pg 103. When I read this, I had to read back a few pages and make sure that this was after the firefight. I believe that this shows that Birdy was in so much shock and awe that he didn't even realize that he wasn't only shooting at them, but that they were shooting back. At him. I see this as the moment in the book where Birdy really realizes that he may die out there.

message 8: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot camp by Todd Strasser chapter 11 page 94
"Joe wants a response" this is talking about how he is asking something but he doesn't know only his parents do

message 9: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "I am amazed how well my plants thrive on a strict diet of human meat and innards." p 27. This explained why after every person was eliminated(killed)their body was missing. The owner of the Daemon Hall used his man-eating plants to eat the remains of disqualified contestants. when the contestants found this out they were way more suspicious and cautious.

message 10: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments "I could feel the cold hard steel in my hand" (pg 35 chapter 4)
This is expressing one of his first missions ever. He was really nervous for his first mission. Holding the gun in a real situation made him feel good, but not so good at the same time. Having to take somebody's life in oder to keep his.

message 11: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments "Change not only was inevitable, but usually brought its own rewards." This quote is saying that even though change is going to happen there would be something good or a reward in return.

message 12: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war, and generally a famine somewhere.”
This quote is saying that when comes a war so does famine

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- " 'Her voice is full of money.' He said suddenly. That was it. I'd never understood before. It was full of money- that was the inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it, the cymbals' song of it...High in a white palace the kings' daughter, the golden girl..."
Nick is comparing Daisy and her voice to money because money is something that people are drawn to. Money can trick people because it's filled with charm and endless possibilities. It's something that seems so intriguing on the outside, but on the inside can cause more problems. And that's just like Daisy, even though she's so charming, you can tell that she has a fake personality about her, like she's always hiding her feelings.

message 14: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments Cannery Row- chapter 19 page 113, "His second day up, he sent down word that someone was shooting at him with an air gun. The display department used its head. It figured the angles and located the offender. It was old Doctor Merrivale hiding behind curtains of his office, shooting at the skater with his Daisy air rifle."

Since the skater is peacefully trying to break a world record. Then Doctor Merrivale decides to shoot at him with a air rifle, I predict that others in the town will harras the skater. Weather with rude remarks or phyisical altercations, it's bound to happen.

message 15: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "Then he began to sob. He was dying, alone and insignificant, and nobody cared."

finally cole was afraid of something. he was afraid of death. He wanted to live, but knew that his chances were slim.

message 16: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- "The only person who knew about Aria's dad was...Alison. And she'd sworn on her grave she wouldn't tell a soul. Was she...back?" pg 105
This is definitely the climax of the book. It makes the reader question everything they thought previously and opens up so many more possibilities. Is Alison Dilaurentis alive? Or is this just some cruel joke?

message 17: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony

"He'd never force me to throw this flashlight away. However, he did suggest that I let the sheep take it to the arboretum. Instead I slipped it into my robe, as a secret, and Madame Nordoff has been secretly supplying me with batteries exchange for a secretly teaching her how to yodel, which Ishmael say might frighten the other islanders" (p.g 173 Chapter 8).

Even though everyone on the island made Ishmael the leader they still didn't listen to him because they all knew that they would need it. I would do the same thing if I was them. I don't think it's right for Ishmael to make them get rid of stuff just because he doesn't want it.

message 18: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “Wham! It was like someone with iron gloves had punched me in the stomach. I pushed past Mr. Halifax and the kids into the band room.
I couldn’t breathe when I saw.
There in the middle of the floor was my drum set, every drumhead slashed.” (Page 186-187)

As a musician, this hurt me as well just imagining my trumpet or violin destroyed. Everyone has something that they hold very close to themselves, that defines them, and would be crushed to see that taken away. Throughout the book, I have found parts where I sympathize with Gray, and this is one that I believe anyone would feel the same as Gray.

message 19: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments “With Scott County surging toward Rupp Arena that year, some of Dakotah’s own classmates at the high school were attacking him, dredging up the transfer arguments all over again.” Dakotah wasn't all he was made up to be and his teammates and peers didn't like it. So he decided he wanted to go. His teammates
Knew they still needed him so they would not let him go.

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments "You're not made of glass" this quote means that people can't see through people. In the chapter there talking bout making plans but someone is hiding what the want to do so they say you're not made of glass

message 21: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “The fans sitting behind the Cardinals bench were thrilled to see Ge’Lawn Guyn back on the floor to start the second half”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/outs...

The Scott County Cardinals could not be what they are made up to be without Ge'Lawn. He was the soul of the team.

message 22: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jacker's Stone

Air Traffic Control Tower
Pierre, South Dakota
July 12
This was the title of the first conversation had at the air traffic control center with the Captain one of the many jobs he has.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row- chapter 19 page 113

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row- chapter 19 page 113 "his second day up, he sent down word that someone was shooting at him with an air gun. The display department used its head. It figured the angles and located the offender" someone might have found him and it builds suspense sorta

message 25: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 5 comments Fallen Angels- I knew Mama loved me, but I also knew when I got back, she would expect me to be the same person, but it could never happen. She hadn't been to Nam. She hadn't given her poncho to anybody to wrap a body in, or stepped over a dying kid. He would have to try and bring back his old self once he got back from Vietnam but he knew she would see right through it.

message 26: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments "Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"(pg.102,ch.7)-In this quote Bilbo had been amused by Smaug the dragon. Smaug had been going on about how he will easily beat any man. Even though Bilbo is confident this quote shows that he still has respect for the dragon. He even fears it still but showing confiden

message 27: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments ...ce is important when facing your fears.