5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 3 Here

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments My third text is "Just as i was trying to steer my way around a fourth, I was swept suddenly off my soggy feet." This text means that she was traveling through to the past. she was taken back because she didn't know that it was going to happen.

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments "You didn't have any nightmares last night, he says"

message 4: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments "'You didn't have nightmares last night,' he says." She finally starts to get over everything that had happened to her. Everybody is there for her and so she's slowly starting to forget everything that has happened. She's had nightmares ever night since and she finally goes without one. Chapter 6 pg 85

message 5: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments "He hadn't meant to kill the Giant. This was supposed to be a game. Not a choice between his own grisly death and an even worse murder. I'm a murderer, even when I play. Peter would be proud of me."

He's right you know, I am proud. Finally seeing down at my level, it's good for him. Ender was always too hesitant, not moving on impulse like me. The more he becomes like me the better he will be, not just at fighting, but I believe a better person. In fact, he won't admit it to himself, he is more like me than anyone else; he just hasn't been told.
-Peter Wiggin

message 6: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot Camp by Todd Strasser, page 18 chapter 3, "why have you been sent to lake harmony" he still does not know why he has been sent to the lake yet I'm not sure if he ever will for a while

message 7: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony Snicket

Quote: “Every time we go storm scavenging and present what we've found to a man named Ishmael. Ishmael has been on this island longer than any of us, and he injured his feet some time ago and keeps them covered in island clay, which has healing powers, Ishmael can’t even stand, but he serves as the islands facilitator” (p.g 48-49 Chapter 3).

If I was on the island with the orphans, I wouldn't like if someone controlled everything that happened since we all would be stranded there. Since he is injured, I don’t understand how he became in charge anyway. It seems like he is just like everyone else since he was put on the island like almost everyone else was.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald "As I went over to say goodbye I saw that the expression of bewilderment had come back into Gatsby's face, as though a faint doubt had occurred to him as to the quality of his present happiness." (pg. 95)
This was said when Nick and Daisy were at Gatsby's house and he was playing the piano with Daisy. He was so focused on her and she with him that neither of them noticed Nick as he was leaving. The look described on Gatsby's face was so emotional and amazing to think that after many years, he could still think of Daisy how he did. I do wonder how this will change the plot of the story and how it will affect things with Tom.

message 9: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments "What happens in the past, is in the past. But don't be surprised if it comes back and haunts you." This quote means that it doesn't matter if you did something bad in the past. You still did it, and more than likely it will come back up sometime in the future and could possibly bite you in the butt.

message 10: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments "And I'd sort of like to be in on a decision before it becomes a fact" pg.45 (Dangerously Alice). This quote states that she would like to make any kind of decision before its set in stone

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments Pg.11 chapter 1 " 'that's it!' I tell my self 'it's back to hell ' ". This little boy is terrified to go back home or tell anybody about his home life, because in the past he told an his mother struck back an would abuse him.

message 12: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments (page 40 in the text The Outside Shot)“It was the spring of 1983. And people living in Scott County, population 22,000, could feel it: a way of life was dying, something large and indefinable was changing, and not for the better.” Basketball
wasn't just big for the school it was huge for the whole county. It brought the county together and everyone was happy and loved cheering on the team, but after the season ended the whole county would go into a state of "depression."

message 13: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars-"She was so startled that she stood up, thinking someone might be across the room, watching her." page 74
Hanna has struggled with bulimia for such a long time, and Alison was the only person who knew. When she got a message calling her out on how she used to be "not it" it frightened her. Now not only was she sitting in the police station handcuffed and being questioned, someone was watching her, and it sure sounded like Alison Dilaurentis.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "If we go in and take out their weapons of mass destruction and their regime, then we just some tough guys. But if we go in there and take out their will to fight us and build their own democracy, then we're heroes", (Captain Coles, pg 40). I feel like the Army's approach to the war is so technical. Throughout the book so far, it has been rules on top of rules on top of rules. Later in the book, I doubt that Birdy's unit will follow these rules to the letter.

message 15: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "I wish I could promise that there aren't things waiting for you, but I just cant guarantee that." page 15. This is a fair warning to the remaining contestants before they stay at Daemon Hall. This also means that there's going to be deathtraps waiting to eliminate some contestants.

message 16: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments "A box without hinges, key, or lid, yet golden treasure inside is hid."(pg 62 ch.5) During this portion of the story, Bilbo and Gollum are having a game of riddles. After going through a lot of riddles back and fourth, Bilbo seems stuck. This riddle(created by JRR Tolkien) was essentially made up on the spot. This quote shows the resiliency of Bilbo and the intelligence to create his own riddle so quickly. But in the end Gollum still answers correctly with "egg".

message 17: by Daniel (last edited Apr 12, 2013 11:17PM) (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 5:17
"Do not think that i have come to abolish the law of the prophets; i have not come to abolish them but to fufill them." What is being said in this quote is that the only law to truly follow is the law of god (the ten commandments), and god made all of the other laws.

message 18: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments "Hard work pays off" (chapter 3. Pg34)
After the difficult physical test he makes the team. But he isn't on what is called "seal team 6" yet. He is in a group from where they select thenbest men to participate in seal team 6.

message 19: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments In chapter 6 page 29 the book says “Everyone who knew him was indebted to him. And everyone who thought of him thought next, I really must do something nice for Doc.” Doc is a gentle smart nice man who helps everyone and has the potential to do bad things but only does them when deemed nessicary. So I believe that later on throughout the novel people will try to do nice things for him and they may go well but most likely go horribly wrong. Also their will be parts where we see Doc helping out someone in their town with whatever task lies ahead.

message 20: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “There he is, all region. There he is, all district. There he is, MVP, from the night one year ago, when he dropped twenty-nine points on soon-to-be-state-champs Holmes High with big-time college coaches in the house, watching, taking notes. The county lost that game by five, but it was a proud moment for the Guyns all the same”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/outs...

This to me shows that when a little town has very few things to look up to they expect a lot out of the little they got.

message 21: by Connor (new)

Connor | 4 comments "Redwall" by: Brian Jacques.
"Matthias had never stayed up all night in his life...Great events seem to have been set in moting by his news." (CH.7 PG.33)
foreshadowing to the impending need for Matthias to take action to protect his people.

message 22: by Summer (new)

Summer Bolton | 4 comments Stephen King The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon pg 5
" On most of the weekends when she an Pete didn't go down to Malden to be with their father, their mother took them on outings. She was grimly dedicated to these." This means she didn't really like them but sometimes they would be fun.

message 23: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “You know that kind of quiver that trembles around through you when you are seeing something so strange and enchanting and wonderful that it is just a fearful joy to be alive and look at it; and you know how you gaze, and your lips turn dry and your breath comes short, but you wouldn't be anywhere but there, not for the world.”
This quote is saying that when you see something strange or weird you get a bad feeling about it

message 24: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "Cole rocked back and forth on his feet. Nobody cared about him. Nobody understood him. Nobody knew what it as like living with parents who wished he wasn't alive."

He hated his parents for "wishing he wasn't alive". i think that if his parents had shown him their love he would have been better not completely "good" but better. Nature vs. nurture.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “The next day, Ross went to Mr. Vee and told him what those guys did. But all Mr. Vee said was, “Sticks and stones, Mr. Terrel, sticks and stones.” I guess maybe Ross didn’t tell him the whole story, but even so, like names don’t matter? Like they don’t make you feel really mad?” (Page 71)

We are raised to believe that names shouldn’t bother you, and that you shouldn’t be bothered by what people say to you. Anyone who has been made fun of would definitely tell you otherwise. Names might not hurt you physically, but they can kill you emotionally. This is a lesson that a lot of people have experienced, but a lot of others don’t understand.

message 26: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The jacker's Stone
"The sound of falling rain made the remnants of breakfast scattered across the kitchen table seem all the more dismal" This told the reader that the mere daise of fischer was being affected by the outside enviroment being rain which completely puts twist on his dreams sending things into chaos.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - chapter 6. Page 31. "Then the creeping murderer, the octopus, steals out, slowly, softly, moving like a gray mist, pretending now to bit of weed, now a rock, now a lump of decaying meat while its evil goat eyes watch coldly." This shows imagery, showing how stealth like the "murderer" is, and how cold blooded he is

message 28: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 5 comments Fallen Angels- We were supposed to smile a lot and treat the people with dignity. They were supposed to think we were the good guys. That bothered me a little. I didn't like having to convince anybody that I was the good guy. . . . We, the Americans, were the good guys. He didn't know if they were the good guys or bad guys but he did question it often, he just followed orders.