5th period-3rd trimester Adv. English discussion

Post Journal 2 Here

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shenson) | 9 comments The link to the day I assigned independent reading is here: http://hensonclass.weebly.com/1/post/.... Please email me at shannon.henson@kenton.kyschools.us if you need any help OR if you post a journal late for any reason! Happy reading/writing!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Bauman (elizbaum) | 8 comments The second text is " I was so afraid the dizzy feeling would come back. That i stuffed eleven cookies into my mouth, one after another." This text means that she been having the same feelings as her sister charlotte does. She is afraid that she will go back in the past. Chapter 2 PG 28

message 3: by Paige (new)

Paige Johnson | 9 comments Second quote "What do you want? He says, nearly knocking me out with a cloud of wine fumes." Even after everything they've been through he still hasn't changed. When he sees Katniss he doesn't want to talk to her, even though they haven't talked in awhile. Chapter 3 pg 43

message 4: by Kala (new)

Kala A. | 8 comments '"The sister is our weak link. He really loves her." "I know. She can undo it all, from the start. He won't want to leave her."' (Card, p. 16).

These conversations proveed each chapter, foreshadowing what is going to happen in the chapter and gives the eerie feeling of mystery to who is watching and controlling Ender's life. The conversations between Ender's monitors are always adults who are purposely doing everything and anything to prepare Ender for battling against buggers. Whom they are talking about in this particular meeting is Valentine, Ender's sister, whom he loves more than anyone. He loves everyone in his family but her in particular because she is the only one who truly loves him back unconditionally. She will be his reason for continuing with his life after it is broken.

message 5: by Conner (new)

Conner Enzweiler | 10 comments Boot Camp by Todd Strasser,page 12 chapter 3 "time to go" the man that woke him up that he never met before in his life had said to wake him up and he tried to go back to sleep but the man grabbed his shoulder again but tighter and told him to wake up now!

message 6: by Myranda (new)

Myranda Baker | 7 comments The End by Lemony Snicket

Quote: “So it is useless for me to describe the force of the wind that tore through the sails as if they were paper, and sent the boat spinning like an ice-skater showing off” (p.g 24 Chapter 2).

I imagined a small boat spinning in wild circles just like a ice-skater would, while trying to make it through a storm in the middle of nowhere. If I would've been in that same situation I wouldn't have been as calm as the orphans were. This helps set up where the orphans end up after the storm. The storm foreshadows how the island they end up on is set up.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Evans | 8 comments The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald " 'You see' cried Catherine triumphantly. She lowered her voice again. 'It's really his wife that's keeping him apart. She's Catholic and they don't believe in divorce,' " (pg.33)
This was said when Nick went with Tom and he met his mistress. Nick said later that Daisy, Tom's wife and his cousin was not Catholic. And so that means that Tom was lying to his mistress when he said that. I think it's weird that Tom would take Nick along, when Daisy is his cousin. I hope that Nick would tell Daisy everything, so that she can leave Tom.

message 8: by Kiana (new)

Kiana | 8 comments “In the end you should always do the right thing even if it's hard.” This quote means that no matter how hard something is you should always do the right thing. Even if in the end it ends up hurting somebody else.

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Sizemore | 8 comments "He's in love with Jill, and love is blind" pg. 5. (Dangerously Alice). This quote states that Justin loves Jill but she's a horrible person and he's too blind to see it.

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Williams | 8 comments Pg.5 chapter. 1
"tell 'em... Tell 'em you ran into the door" the mother bets her son but when he goes off to school he has to make up a lie an say he's fine an he fell or ran into a door, so people don't get suspicious.

message 11: by Brenton (new)

Brenton Hughes | 8 comments (page 14 in the text The Outside Shot)“They were not to lose a single game to a Kentucky basketball team all season. Kentucky was theirs. Kentucky was Cardinal country.” The team had lost the year before before they made it into Rupp. They were the best team around and nobody wanted them in the tournament because they knew they would win but they were upset and the state of Kentucky was excited to see a different team with a chance to win. So the team got together and wanted to show their state who belonged in the championship.

message 12: by Makenna (new)

Makenna Theissen | 8 comments Pretty Little Liars- "Hell is other people, she chanted. It was her favorite quote by the French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre" page 51
Not only does this show that Aria is more cultured than some of the others running around Rosewood. But, it showcases how much she misses Iceland, and the people there. Back in Rosewood, she is just that strange girl who left after Ali went missing. Aria is reminded of Alison everywhere and that alone can be hell.

message 13: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Ziegelmeyer | 9 comments "Even the good plans of wise wizards like Gandalf and of good friends like Elrond go astray sometimes when you are off on dangerous adventures over the Edge of the Wild, and Gandalf was a wise enough wizard to know it."(pg.49 Ch.4) I think that what they are trying to say is basically not everything goes as planned. Especially if there are dangers involved. They also imply that this can happen to the best and the wisest people. Gandalf on the other hand is wise enough to know he will have to change his plans. And the new ways or plans may not be the nicest or safest.

message 14: by Justin (new)

Justin Hungler | 8 comments "Who are we supposed to be shooting over here? Because I am not worried about who we're supposed to be getting along with. I figure if they're trying to get along with us they won't be shooting at us", Pg 29. Marla says this, and I believe that she really highlights the mentality of most of the soldiers: "an eye for an eye". That is exactly what Captain Coles is trying to change. Captain Coles wants people to look at their role in the war as helpers after a fight, like FEMA helps people after a hurricane or tornado.

message 15: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 8 comments "Ill give those of you who remain throughout the night at Daemon Hall, will be given a tour in the mourning." page 13-14. Which means those who survive the Daemon Hall tonight will be given a tour of the fifty thousand square feet mansion. and the "those of you who will remain throughout the night" means that there's definitely going to be something in there or deathtraps.

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Bitter | 9 comments Matthew 6:33
"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all things will be given to you as well". What this means is that if you put god first, Then everything you will ever need will be waiting for you in heaven. This is a reoccuring theme in the book of Matthew

message 17: by Derrick (new)

Derrick Berry | 7 comments "Failure is betrer than giving up. But success is betbetter than all"
The main character mark is "trying out" to be part of seal team 6. He says this when henis having trouble on the sit up test. He pushes through and barely passes the sit up test.

message 18: by Alec (new)

Alec Burris | 9 comments A quote on page 3 that intrigued me it states “And perhaps that might be the way to write this book to open the page and to let the stories crawl in by themselves. Which leads me to believe that through the rest of this book is just going to be what goes on in their crazy town Cannery Row. From the thieves to the bums the whores to the stores every problem is told. All the whacky people and the problems they pose. Maybe that only a few people will be able to keep the town at ease and their minds at rest.

message 19: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Pusateri | 8 comments “And then she began to pray. She thanked God for what little they had and asked him to bless the team. She asked the Lord to give the boys good court awareness, to help them play together, to help them play as one. “Connect them,” she pleaded, “and join them at the hip.”
But mostly, she prayed for Ge’Lawn.
“Touch Ge’Lawn to be what he needs to be in the game, Lord God,” she said, eyes closed and barely pausing for a breath between each sentence. “Lord God, bless his hands, bless his mind, bless his quickness, Lord God. Bless his feet to move, Lord God. Lord God, bless everyone to hit every basket, Lord God. In the name of Jesus, this we ask.
“Amen.”

Excerpt From: O’Brien, Keith. “Outside Shot.” St. Martin’s Press. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBookstore: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/outs...

This to me shows that when expectations are so high for a very little town the only way to accomplish the task is to pray and bring it into your religion.

message 20: by Connor (new)

Connor | 4 comments "Redwall" by: Brian Jacques.
"Abbot Mortimer rose and solemnly spread his paws wide, encompassing the festive board. He said the grace." (CH.3 PG.22) This is an example of the varying traditions of the characters in the story, foreshadowing
the imminent conflict between these people and their traditions and an outside force.

message 21: by Summer (new)

Summer Bolton | 4 comments Stephen King: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon-pg7
"They were fighting again, gosh what a surprise that was." Her brother and her mother are always fighting because of the divorce and how their mother made them stay with her instead of living with their dad.

message 22: by Bryanslater (new)

Bryanslater | 8 comments “And what does it amount to?" said Satan, with his evil chuckle. "Nothing at all. You gain nothing; you always come out where you went in. For a million years the race has gone on monotonously propagating itself and monotonously reperforming this dull nonsense--to what end? No wisdom can guess! Who gets a profit out of it? Nobody but a parcel of usurping little monarchs and nobilities who despise you; would feel defiled if you touched them; would shut the door in your face if you proposed to call; whom you slave for, fight for, die for, and are not ashamed of it, but proud; whose existence is a perpetual insult to you and you are afraid to resent it.
This quote is saying that even though we fight for our country even though the "monarchs" or our president's, they will not do anything to help us in anyway

message 23: by David (new)

David | 8 comments "He twisted harder at the handcuffs and winced in pain. He wasn't afraid of pain. He wasn't afraid of anyone or anything."

He thought he was tough by putting himself in pain. He thought he was untouchable, nobody could hurt him. He was a classic teenager.

message 24: by Justin (new)

Justin | 8 comments “Ever since Suspension Number Two, though, it had been like Dad was afraid I’d do something really terrible if he didn’t watch me all the time and lecture me and stuff…I just stood there listening to him yell, and it sounded like he thought I wasn’t even human - like I was this thing he had to dispose of so it wouldn’t bother him or embarrass him or whatever anymore.” (Page 42)

Here the reader is given some insight into how Gray sees his relationship with his dad, and sadly I think Gray is pretty accurate. It also angers me that his dad makes him feel that way, inhuman. I feel that parents need to be strict, but they shouldn’t undermine their kids, like the dad does with Gray.

message 25: by Tony (new)

Tony Ashford | 8 comments The Jacker's Stone
In Chapter 4 The beging stanza reads "Fischer felt as though he had no more closed his eyes than a hand was shaking him awake." At this point in the story it was pretty clear that this sleep he was in was a good portion of the story also having the following sentence read, "Funny, Fischer," (which states direct contact) David said. "Okay, hilarious, in fact" but yet in the next few sentence it describes him awake and the while he's awake while eating breakfast his dreams continue with the tables begining to transform to be made of ruby's.

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick | 9 comments Cannery row - chapter 4 "in the evening just at dust, a curious thing happened on cannery row" this shows exciting and sort of a rising action to somewhat of a climax.

message 27: by Jacob (new)

Jacob | 5 comments Fallen Angels- “My father used to call all soldiers angel warriors,” he said. “Because usually they get boys to fight wars. Most of you aren't old enough to vote yet.” The boys who go off into the military haven't seen the world and many of those boys won't get a chance to even experience it at all.