Historical Fictionistas discussion

Group Read Discussions > May 2013- HF Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 98 (98 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Historical Fact:
"Cinco de Mayo—or the fifth of May—commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867)." Source

"Memorial Day started as an event to honor Union soldiers, who had died during the American Civil War. It was inspired by the way people in the Southern states honored their dead. After World War I, it was extended to include all men and women, who died in any war or military action." Source

Theme: Let's honor the military this month by nominating HF military themed reads. Books do not have to be US based.

Rules for Nominating:
*ONE nomination per member
*There is no need to second or third a nomination
*Do not nominate books the group already has read. To check for previous group reads check the group's bookshelf: http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...
* LINK the title and book you are nominating. If you can not link please include the title and author in your nomination. If there is no author included in your nomination I will not accept it.
Example: Losing Julia by Jonathan Hull
-or-
Losing Julia by Johnathan Hull are both acceptable.

The nomination thread will run until March 25th. I will then put up the poll which will run until March 31st.

Thank you!

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | -18 comments I read this last year The Steel Wave: A Novel of World War II for one of the challenges last year and I thought it was a very interesting look at D-Day. It's by Jeff Shaara.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneeww) I nominate Mila 18 by Leon Uris. It deals with the Warsaw Ghetto uprising during WWII. It starts just before Germany invades Poland. One of my most favorite books.

message 4: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 3 comments "Gates of Fire" by the one and only Steven Pressfield.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments I nominate The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara - about the Civil War.

message 6: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel The Road to Jerusalem byJan Guillou about the Crusades. I think the 3rd one.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Gabriel wrote: "The Road to Jerusalem byJan Guillou about the Crusades. I think the 3rd one."

This looks good but I don't see military listed as a genre.

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Renee wrote: "I nominate Mila 18 by Leon Uris. It deals with the Warsaw Ghetto uprising during WWII. It starts just before Germany invades Poland. One of my most favorite books."

I don't see military listed as genre for this book either :(.

message 9: by Judy (new)

Judy (dujyt) I'd like to suggest The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.
Vietnam War is the topic. The book won the National Book Critics Circle Award.

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
I wanted to nominate The Killer Angels, but Sandra beat me to it, so I will instead nominate Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War by Karl Marlantes

message 11: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel hmm, aren't we picky.=/, but I am telling you I am sure they will fight at least one time. =P Okay I will find another book. We Were Soldiers Once...and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam by Harold G. Moore

message 12: by Steven (last edited Mar 20, 2013 07:51PM) (new)

Steven Malone | 165 comments Gee, I need to go farther afield with my reading 'cause I've read all these.

The long lost ''CO. AYTCH' A Side Show of the Big Show' by Sam R. Watkins Private C.S.A.

Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civil War

message 13: by Mary Kay (new)

Mary Kay Kare (marykayk) Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow is on my to be read list and looks good. It's about Roman Legion in 42 CE.

I'm new here - how do I do that add book/author thing? I remember seeing instructions at one point, but I can't find them now.

MKK

message 14: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Mary Kay - You'd just click "add book/author" above the comment box, search for the book you want to link to, and then add it. It will always add to the end of whatever you've typed in the comment box.

message 15: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:41PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments Isn't We Were Soldiers Once and Young non-fiction history?

ETA: Mary Kay, you can add author and/or book by clicking on the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment form.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 407 comments I'd like to nominate Drums Along the Mohawk by Walter D. Edmonds. Setting is the American Revolution.

message 17: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Anton | 219 comments Renee wrote: "I nominate Mila 18 by Leon Uris. It deals with the Warsaw Ghetto uprising during WWII. It starts just before Germany invades Poland. One of my most favorite books."

While WWWII occurred over 50 years ago, and thus a novel taking place then should qualify as historical fiction now, Mila 18 was actually written not that long after the events happened. I personally think it's an excellent read, but is it really historical fiction?

Maggie Anton

message 18: by Mary Kay (new)

Mary Kay Kare (marykayk) Thanks guys! Amazing how easy it is to miss these things. The book I wanted to nominate was Under the Eagle
MKK

message 19: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 59 comments I'm almost afraid to nominate this book since it doesn't have any of the Goodreads genre classifications (very loose, very subjective) attached to it's record. But before anyone rushes to check, you may rest assured that it appears on the Historical Novel Society's website with a genre heading of Military. However, I will be brave and nominate
Coming Home by Roy E. Stolworthy by Roy E. Stolworthy

message 20: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments I think this qualifies. If not, I'll think again.

The Year of the French by Thomas Flanagan

message 22: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Saadia (zoesaadia) I think The Winds of War of Herman Wouk might qualify :-)
(I think it wasn;t on group reads before)

message 23: by Nina (last edited Mar 21, 2013 01:07AM) (new)

Nina | 5 comments I nominate Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

message 24: by Ana (new)

Ana Guerreiro | 1 comments Sharpe’s Escape by Bernard Cornwell

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra (debrac) | 2 comments The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman

message 26: by Ingibjörg (new)

Ingibjörg (ingaflakkari) | 12 comments Regeneration by Pat Barker

message 27: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

These don't look like they qualify:
*The Road to Jerusalem- doesn't look like it qualifies for military
*Mila 18- doesn't seem to meet HF qualifications
*Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civil War - non-fiction
*We Were Soldiers Once...and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam- Non-Fiction
*Wolf Hall- doesn't look like it has anything military in it
*Sharpe's Escape- this one is #10 in the series- does it matter if we haven't read the others

If I'm wrong about any of the above and someone here as read them please let me know.

These look like they qualify:
The Steel Wave: A Novel of World War II
Gates of Fire
The Killer Angels
The Things They Carried
Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War
Drums Along the Mohawk
Under the Eagle
Coming Home
The Year of the French
Birdsong: A Novel of Love and War
The Winds of War
The Plum Tree
Regeneration

message 28: by Pam (last edited Mar 21, 2013 04:21AM) (new)

Pam Walter | 399 comments The Romanov Bride, by Robert Alexander
The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments I thought it had to be military, not HF that takes place during a war? Drums Along the Mohawk, for example, doesn't show the genre of military history at GR.

message 30: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 165 comments Sorry to those who saw the deleted post on Sharpe's Escape. I forgot the actual chronological order of the series.

Still, Escape is a good read and the series doesn't 'require' a chronological reading though it might be helpful to know a little of Richard and 'the Rifles'.

message 31: by Steven (new)

Steven Malone | 165 comments Sandra wrote: "I thought it had to be military, not HF that takes place during a war? Drums Along the Mohawk, for example, doesn't show the genre of military history at GR."

Yeah, I slipped on that too for Watkin's memoir. Consider it officially withdrawn by me, too.

message 32: by D. L. (new)

D. L. Springer (DLSpringer) | 1 comments I'd like to add A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute.

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments This one is a challenge, lol.

message 34: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Bryn wrote: "I think this qualifies. If not, I'll think again.

The Year of the French by Thomas Flanagan"

Looks interesting. Has genre of war, but not miliary, so don't know if it qualifies......

message 35: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Jackie wrote: "These don't look like they qualify:
*The Road to Jerusalem- doesn't look like it qualifies for military
*Mila 18- doesn't seem to meet HF qualifications
*Co. Aytch: A Confederate Memoir of the Civ..."

So, actually the genre is war, rather than the military? I ask because some of these fit that bill (Regneration, The Plum Tree).

BTW, as a veteran (for 8 years, 1974-1982), I like the military topic and I like celebrating Memorial Day and Veteran's Day, lol.

message 36: by Sandra (last edited Mar 21, 2013 08:29AM) (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments I'm withdrawing my nomination of The Killer Angels - someone else nominate it please. Instead, I'm nominating this book that I've wanted to read FOREVER, as I've heard raves about it. In fact, I think West Point may have it as required reading. It's Once An Eagle by Anton Myrer.

message 37: by Artemas (new)

Artemas | 3 comments "Once an Eagle" is on my To-Read list. :) I've heard great things about it.

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

The genre doesn't necessarily need to say "military" to count. The genre listing isn't the only criteria we go by, since they are determined by member shelves, and everyone can categorize differently.

We're just looking for the overall theme of honoring those who fight for their country or beliefs etc, generally in an organized form of service in some way, whether it's an governmental army or a non-professional militia.

For Year of the French, the description reads: "In 1798, Irish patriots, committed to freeing their country from England, landed with a company of French troops in County Mayo, in westernmost Ireland. They were supposed to be an advance guard, followed by other French ships with the leader of the rebellion, Wolfe Tone. Briefly they triumphed, raising hopes among the impoverished local peasantry and gathering a group of supporters. But before long the insurgency collapsed in the face of a brutal English counterattack."

I think that sounds exactly like what we're going for. :)

message 39: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Fine third time is a charm Harry sidebottom's lion of the sun. :). I got fourth and fifth options, too.

message 40: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Sandra, I used the term "military themed" loosely. I'm okay with war novels as long as they feature a troop, soldier, etc. Similar to Losing Julia, which at times was from the perspective of the trenches even though the entire novel was not like that. If it's from the perspective of an outsider going through war then no it won't count. I did that post real quick this morning, so I will take closer look at it when I get home tonight. Thanks for your input! And more importantly thank you for your years of service. :)

I'll nominate the The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

message 41: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Gabriel wrote: "Fine third time is a charm Harry sidebottom's lion of the sun. :). I got fourth and fifth options, too."

LOL. I hope you don't think I am picking on you, but...this is 3rd in the series. Are we okay if we don't read the first 2? Or maybe you want to nominate the first one?

message 42: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Bah killer angels, I've seen the movie ;)

message 43: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Gabriel wrote: "Bah killer angels, I've seen the movie ;)"

*snort* I nominated for her already.

message 44: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel I know it's the third one. :p

message 45: by Rusty (last edited Mar 21, 2013 09:42AM) (new)

Rusty | 2723 comments I suggest Battle Cry by Leon Uris, a story about the Marines in war.

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments If nothing else, I'm getting lots of books to add to my to-read list, ha ha.

message 47: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) | 144 comments Wow, Gone with the Wind fits in this category too -- awwwk - so many books, so little time!

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I nominate Wait for Me!: Memoirs By Deborah Devonshire.

message 49: by Mark (new)

Mark Turnbull | 1 comments I nominate Hunter's Rage by Michael Arnold - its set in the early part of the English Civil War. Includes battles of Hopton Heath and siege of Lichfield

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 2 comments I nominate "The Whip" by Karen Kondazian. It won the 2012 USA Book Award for Best Historical Fiction.

It's based on the true story of the legendary Wells Fargo stagecoach driver, Charley "Charlotte" Parkhurst. Born Charlotte Parkhurst, Charlotte dressed as a man to avenge the death of her family and became a whip to track down the killer.

The Whip by Karen Kondazian

« previous 1