All Things Medieval discussion

DAILY LIVING IN THE TWELFTH CENTURY

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Haislip (medievalphyllis) | 7 comments I would like to thank whoever recommended A TIME TRAVELER'S GUIDE TO MEDIEVAL ENGLAND and recommend Urban Tigner Holmes,Jr, DAILY LIVING IN THE TWELFTH CENTURY, Based on the Observations of Alexander Neckham in London and Paris.

message 3: by Evy (new)

Evy | 2 comments I enjoyed both of those books and can also recommend them. The time travelers is an easy read for those wanting something more light. I do 12th century reenacting and found these to be helpful also.

message 4: by Jacinta (last edited Mar 30, 2013 08:22PM) (new)

Jacinta Hoare | 3 comments Ah Ian Mortimer. He writes a good book doesn't he?Ian Mortimer

message 5: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 48 comments I think I may have to add these to my "to read" list.

message 6: by Loretta (last edited Jul 06, 2017 01:42PM) (new)

message 7: by Loretta (new)

Loretta (lorettalivingstone) | 48 comments I thoroughly enjoyed Time Traveller's Guide - struggled a bit with Urban Tigner Holmes jr, but persevered as it was recommended to me by Sharon Penman. I have ME so don't really have the concentration for the more challenging stuff. I also had a little look at The Practise of the Presence of God the Best Rule of a Holy Life: Brother Lawrence. Being Conversations and Letters of Nicolas Herman of Lorraine (Brother Lawrence). Translated from the French... - Scholar's Choice Edition (bought it a while ago and bot entirely sure this is the correct edituon, sorry) - it is lovely but I found the style of writing a bit challenging for my brain. But then, it was written by a medieval monk, lol. I'm currently reading Medieval English Nunneries: C.1275 to 1535