Daily Diary discussion

Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
PBS is running a number of adaptations of Jane Austen novels so I'm going to start reading some of them...use the movies as an incentive to read some of her work. Northhanger Abbey is up next. Anyone like this?

message 2: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 11 comments Funny, seeing those promos for the Austin series prompted me to do the same thing and I have put a couple of her books on my to-read list. I need to spend less time on Goodreads if I am going to make a dent in my reading list.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am actually reading Northanger Abbey right now for the Rory Gilmore book club. I've never read an Austen book before. This book is great so far. It's a really short book, so I'm hoping to be finished by the time the movie airs on Sunday.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I have it on hold at the library...I hope I get it...I agree though..less time on goodreads if I am going to be able to read it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah, I didn't know Northanger Abbey was up next, thanks for the heads up!

Northanger Abbey is the only Austen I haven't read. I know next to nothing about it. I haven't even seen a movie/miniseries version of it! I'll definitely make a point to catch this on Sunday.

Lol, yes, maybe it would help if I tore myself away from goodreads long enough to go over to my actual bookshelf and start reading?

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (eyelit) I actually just picked up Northanger Abbey as well, since I haven't read it in years. I am hesitant to watch the upcoming adaptation, however, as I was so disappointed with Persuasion on Sunday.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I started it tonight...really liked the opening chapters...interesting...I love the mood of the opening pages.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I missed Persuasion on Sunday...was it disappointing? That's a shame. It's not filmed as often as some of Austen's other works, but I think it's one of her best. We need more good adaptations of it!

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (eyelit) Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel, so I went in with high expectations (especially since I love the 1995 film adaptation)... but even if I hadn't it would have been a disappointment. It was terribly rushed and most of the characters under developed. Even Wentworth hardly said anything at all. It was gorgeously filmed, however, and had wonderful music. I consider it the cliff-notes film adaptation.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I hope Northhanger Abbey is better. I'm looking forward to it. I need to read quite a bit though tomorrow and Saturday since I wasn't able to read tonight.

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Anyone see NOrthhanger Abbey? I recorded it on my dvr. Still reading the novel.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ed - I missed Sunday nights NA presentation due to the Packer game, but I ordered it from netflix. I did finsih the book though and really enjoyed it. Like you, it was my first Austen (I think you mentioned that before). I was really impressed with her writing and I'm hoping to read more of her novels soon. Did you finish the book yet? Did or are you liking it?

message 13: by Lesley (new)

Lesley (eyelit) I quite enjoyed the adaptation of Northanger Abbey. It was perfectly cast and it kept the tone of the novel, for the most part.

message 14: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 12 comments I'm sorry that I missed the presentation.

What bad luck, especially since I've been reading (and re-reading) books by Jane Austen.

Just finished (again) "Sense and Sensibility." It was yummy.

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I'm almost done...really like it now...took a little while to get used to it but really love the narration..the dialogue. I can't wait to see the adaptation. Mansfield Park is this coming sunday. :)

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (loveliesdiva) | 8 comments I love Jane Austens books, I haven't read Northanger Abbey yet though, thats on my list. :-D

message 17: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments I love Austen's books, and Pride and Prejudice is my all time. The best adaptation i have seen so far is Emma Thompson's S&S. All the characters were portrayed so well. Thompson, Winslet and Grant were perfect, Rickman was more than perfect!

Many many years ago i watched a P&P adaptation with Brosnan as Darcy! Anyone remember that one? All i know is that it was a literature series. And Brosnan was just perfect as Darcy.

message 18: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments Aside, I just watched Becoming Jane, and loved it. So bittersweet. It's very loosely based on Austen's life though, so don't expect it to be a biography. But it inspired me to read up on Austen's life, and that was fascinating.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments I remember Pierce Brosnan as Rochester in a BBC production of "Jane Eyre." I even included an ad for the mini-series in my college thesis (long story), so I don't think I'll ever forget that! I would have loved to have seen him as Darcy.

message 20: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I think I'll now read Pride and Prejudice...one of my favorites from my memories of reading Austen and I've heard the film adaptation is excellent.

message 21: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 29 comments Pride and Prejudice is my favourite Austen too. Have read and re-read it many times, sometimes just favourite chapters, and sometimes in full. I still have my first copy, a paperback i inherited from my aunt - its pages now yellowing and soft and rather tattered - it's still my favourite read, like having a warm familiar chat with an old dear friend.

message 22: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
I am looking forward to reading it this weekend during my daughter's swim meet.