What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Holocaust autobiography

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments About 12 years ago I read an autobiography of a Jewish lady that survived the holocaust. As a child she moved throughout Europe to try and escape the nazis. As she did so, she picked up a number of European languages (I think about 7/8) at the end. After the war, her family moved to America. In the books she talks about how she didn't realise at the time that she was Jewish but she did notice that when they went to christian churches for mass her mother made them leave early, before communion was given out.

I cant remember anything else about the book but an suggestions for what it might be would be gratefully received!

Thanks!

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Angela--you'd put this in twice, so I deleted the second posting. Was this a "true" autobiography or a fiction book writen in the form of an autobiography?

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments two books that come to mind about the holocust (aside from anne frank)

The Upstairs Room - very good, but definitely not what you're looking for [just thought you might be interested]

Zlata's Diary: A Child's Life in Wartime Sarajevo - a don't remember a lot about it (I was around 8 when I read it), but it might be the one.

Isabel (kittiwake) | 115 comments Zlata's Diary is not about the Holocaust. It is about her experiences in the early 1990s.

message 5: by Angela (new)

Angela | 2 comments It was definitely a true autobiography, not fictional.

Thank you for the other recommendations, I'll definitely check those out.

Anne (On semi-hiatus) (reachannereach) I have read a lot of holocaust memoirs. You are welcome to check my memoir or WW11 shelf.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Angela, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.