Smashwords Authors discussion

Writing and Publishing > Tate Publishing??? I need some input to make a decision.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 46 comments I've just gotten an acceptance letter from Tate Publishing. After doing some research I'm thinking of waiting to hear back from other publishers.

Has anyone had any experience with Tate Publishing? Good or bad I'd like to hear it.

message 2: by Jill (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 46 comments Thank you everyone for your help. I have decided to wait and not sign with Tate Publishing. Hopefully I will get some more acceptance letters soon. Thanks again.

message 3: by Jill (last edited Mar 21, 2013 08:41PM) (new)

Jill Sanders (jillmsanders) | 46 comments I did just speak with someone at Tate. These are some of the questions I had and didn't feel too easy about their answers.

1. I've spent a lot of time & effort on my book covers & image. These would go away & they would create new ones.

2. I've self published & have made okay sales to date. He told me "You won't get any other publishers to sign you on." Then he told me all my "okay" Sales were friends & family. NOTE: No they aren't. I've had good sales in the UK, Germany, Canada & Australia. I don't know anyone outside the US. I've also had good reviews from plenty of people I don't know here in the US.

3. I was talking to him about the $4k up front and was trying to say how I thought it was a shady practice for a publisher to ask for money upfront instead of taking from the first sales. He interrupted and told me he wouldn't sign any writer on that thought his company was shady.

4. He said, oh well, your from Texas. (Like that's a bad thing.) Like where I currently live really matters... Ummm. They are in Mustang OK! Who cares...

5. I told him I just submitted to several publishers and some said they won't even look at my books for 3-6 months. His offer is only good for 10 days. He told me he could extend the offer for 30 days. This was nice, but not really helpful as it won't allow me time to even consider other offers.

Anyway, my husband & I have done enough research to know that I am officially passing on their offer.

Thanks to everyone who has given me input on this matter. I hope this will help others in their search for a publisher.

Good luck!

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 35 comments They sound like pretty classic vanity press scammers. Good for you for walking away, and sharing your experience with everyone here.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Glad you're going with your instincts not to work with them. Predators & Editors gives them a "not recommended" rating. http://pred-ed.com/pebt.htm

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments Yep, they sound like scum. If you really want your stuff in print, that's what Lulu and Createspace are for.

message 7: by Sharon (last edited Mar 22, 2013 12:21PM) (new)

Sharon (fiona64) | 260 comments Ken wrote: "Yep, they sound like scum. If you really want your stuff in print, that's what Lulu and Createspace are for."

Beware of Lulu, though; they've now signed a deal with the rather notorious Author Solutions: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/201...

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Sharon wrote: "Ken wrote: "Yep, they sound like scum. If you really want your stuff in print, that's what Lulu and Createspace are for."

Beware of Lulu, though; they've now signed a deal with the rather notorio..."

oh, sh... not that I ever used their marketing services - and their POD is decent. Hope the POD isn't touched, or I'll have to retire the few books I have with them!
I'm using DriveThru/Lightning Source for color (comics) books now and I'll probably start using CreateSpace (who ALSO has programs for 2500$, I know because an author friend printed his book with CS and paid that because he wanted them to do the edits and cover and then found out a lot of typos - waste of money).

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Haramiru (haramiru) | 68 comments Holy frack. Ok, well, I guess Createspace is the last POD standing then.

message 10: by Bruce (last edited Mar 24, 2013 03:15AM) (new)

Bruce Borders | 22 comments Try Snowfall Press. In my opinion they are far better than Createspace. Great company to work with! You can get all of the info here: http://www.snowfallpress.com/page/home

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Ken wrote: "Holy frack. Ok, well, I guess Createspace is the last POD standing then."

Lighting Source seems to be also good. A little more expensive than CS, though - unless you go through DriveThru! ;)

message 12: by Don (new)

Don Martinez (DesertCoyote13) | 4 comments Barbara wrote: "I'll probably start using CreateSpace (who ALSO has programs for 2500$, I know because an author friend printed his book with CS and paid that because he wanted them to do the edits and cover and then found out a lot of typos - waste of money)."

This is why neither myself nor any of my authors use CreateSpace's services ... it's hella cheaper *plus* more reliable to handle the edits ourselves between myself and the author, plus doing our typesetting has given me valuable insight ... and I don't think I'm half-bad at it, not to blow my own horn or anything ... ;)