My Story Book Club discussion

What Night Brings
This topic is about What Night Brings
What Night Brings > Live Online Chat with Carla Trujillo!

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Carter (goodreadscomsalonicaworldlit) | 127 comments Mod
Join us at 5 p.m. PST on March 28th for a live discussion with Carla Trujillo, author of What Night Brings.

message 2: by Monica (new)

Welcome YA readers! Carla will join us momentarily and will be ready to answer questions. If you have any burning questions, ask them anytime during the chat. Ready? Fire away!

message 3: by Monica (new)

Welcome, Carla! We're so excited to have you join us.

message 4: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Hi all,
I'm happy to be here>

--Carla

Monica wrote: "Welcome, Carla! We're so excited to have you join us."

Monica wrote: "Join us at 5 p.m. PST on March 28th for a live discussion with Carla Trujillo, author of What Night Brings."

message 5: by Monica (new)

Your novel encompasses so many different themes - heritage, abuse, lgbt - what was the original impetus for telling this story?

message 6: by Monica (new)

Your novel encompasses so many different themes - heritage, abuse, lgbt - what was the original impetus for telling this story?

message 7: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Anyone want to discuss aspects about the novel that intrigued you?

message 8: by Monica (new)

Yes, I am interested in the themes. Which one felt the most urgent to you?

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "Your novel encompasses so many different themes - heritage, abuse, lgbt - what was the original impetus for telling this story?"

I didn't have a particular impetus. I simply started writing and this story poured out of me.

message 10: by Monica (new)

Well, you were writing to simply write or did you have a character or message in mind that you needed to express?

message 11: by Carla (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:23PM) (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "Yes, I am interested in the themes. Which one felt the most urgent to you?"

Carla wrote: "Monica wrote: "Your novel encompasses so many different themes - heritage, abuse, lgbt - what was the original impetus for telling this story?"

I didn't have a particular impetus. I simply started..."

I think allowing Marci to feel free to love whoever she wanted was super important to me.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Great! Marci is such an interesting character. I love the idea of her wanting to be Superman, but he was soft and doughy, and she was stronger than that. Did you know from the beginning that Marcia was going to be a teenager?

message 13: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments I wanted Marci to be young enough to still think God (or whomever)would change her into a boy ... when she got to a certain age, she simply had to realize that that wasn't going to happen. So I needed her to be right at the pre-teen point in her life.

message 14: by Monica (new)

How important was Marci's sexuality in relationship to her being Chicana?

message 15: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments They are intertwined. Marci is both a lesbian, or more specifically, queer, and she's Chicana. The church intersects with her life, as it does with many Chicanos/as.

message 16: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "How important was Marci's sexuality in relationship to her being Chicana?"

They are intertwined. Marci is both a lesbian, or more specifically, queer, and she's Chicana. The church intersects with her life, as it does with many Chicanos/as.

message 17: by Monica (new)

What was the reaction to the novel in the Chicana religious community?

message 18: by Carla (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:37PM) (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "What was the reaction to the novel in the Chicana religious community?"

Most of the general feedback from many in the Chicano community was surprisingly positive. People told me they wanted to "unlearn" their homophobia and this helped them. The novel has also been picked up in High Schools and many colleges.

message 19: by Monica (new)

Your novel is inspiring in that it has so many minority elements, but Marci doesn't surrender to victimization. Was that a conscious choice?

message 20: by Carla (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:43PM) (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "Your novel is inspiring in that it has so many minority elements, but Marci doesn't surrender to victimization. Was that a conscious choice?"

I think so. I wrote this novel without a particular outline or agenda. But I think I didn't want Marci to be a victim. It was important that she remain strong despite all the challenges she faced.
A former professor at UC Berkeley, Norma Alarcon, once made a comment I hadn't realized: Marci never cried . . .

message 21: by Monica (new)

I love that. Was this novel shaped by your own personal experience or more from a cultural standpoint?

message 22: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "I love that. Was this novel shaped by your own personal experience or more from a cultural standpoint?"

I shaped it somewhat from my personal experience, in that I loved girls as a kid, and did think at the time that I needed to change into a boy. But when I started to write autobiographically, it was really boring. So I gave myself permission to write as freely as possible and this story poured out of me. Writing fiction is very challenging, but I found it to be a lot more fun. I hope the readers agree.

message 23: by Monica (new)

I am sure they do! Do you have a favorite aspect of this novel? I know it's difficult to toot your own horn, but...

message 24: by Carla (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:50PM) (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "I am sure they do! Do you have a favorite aspect of this novel? I know it's difficult to toot your own horn, but..."

Hmm, a favorite aspect? I think I was surprised so many young folks, and I'm talking about kids of color in junior high and high schools liked Marci and the novel.

People had lots of questions about the mother--why she stayed with the father despite his treatment of her and the two girls.

message 25: by Monica (new)

It's been great chatting with you and thanks for joining us. Any other questions out there?

message 26: by Carla (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "It's been great chatting with you and thanks for joining us. Any other questions out there?"

I'm happy to entertain any pressing questions folks might be interested in asking.

message 27: by Monica (new)

Carla, any parting words?

message 28: by Carla (last edited Mar 28, 2013 05:55PM) (new)

Carla Trujillo | 13 comments Monica wrote: "Carla, any parting words?"

I have written a second novel, Faith and Fat Chances, centered in New Mexico which was a finalist for the PEN Bellwether prize (shopping for a "home" for it), and I'm revising a third novel. So I'm still writing and still enjoying it!