UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > RIP James Herbert

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments The title says it all.

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments yup :(
big influence in my life. i cut my adult reading teeth on his books.
RIP

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sapphiresarah) | 36 comments Died in his sleep, shame rip. Recently watch the TV series - The secret of crickley hall, made from the book of the same name, was really good, great author.

message 4: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Very sad. Grew up with his books - the only books mum had in the house when I was looking for something to read

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11363 comments Very sad to hear this, I've enjoyed his books since being a teenager. I really enjoyed The Secret of Crickley Hall. RIP

message 6: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) Oh no, how sad! RIP James. :-(

message 7: by Beverley (new)

Beverley Carter | 199 comments I felt extremely sad when I heard this last night. I spent many a lunch break reading his books in the 80s and 90s. He was a real talent who I am sure will be greatly missed. :(

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments :-(

eastwood  (do you feel lucky punk,well do ya) | 15991 comments Shocked when I read that.

message 11: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments I didn't think much of Crickley Hall, but the rats was a favourite of mine.

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Not a big fan myself, but my Dad loved his books. RIP

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Sad to here of this.

I used to read a lot of his books years ago and more recently I read Ash.

message 14: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Another fan here! RIP James!

message 15: by Maria (last edited Mar 22, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Maria (mariagibbs) | 5 comments I too was sad to hear the news. He was a regular guest on 'The Wright Stuff' and he always came across as a lovely, quiet and gentle man, so unlike the horror novels he wrote. I used to read his books endlessly as a teenager, loved them and they scared me to death! I never read 'Crickley Hall' but the tv adaptation on last year was good.

message 16: by Sarah (last edited Mar 23, 2013 02:02PM) (new)

Sarah (sapphiresarah) | 36 comments Not read his books in years, so just bought The Rats and The Dark, get a few more next week.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p...

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I thought we could put one of his books up for April. Any suggestions.

message 19: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (littlebunnylibrary) Vanessa wrote: "I enjoyed The Magic Cottage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Magic-Cot..."

I also enjoyed this Vanessa, it was many years ago during my teenage years but I still remember how I felt reading it.

message 20: by Richard (new)

Richard Coady | 29 comments I devoured his books as a teenager. RIP James. Thanks for the thrills.

message 21: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 2467 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I thought we could put one of his books up for April. Any suggestions."

I always think The Rats was the novel.

message 22: by Kath (last edited Mar 24, 2013 08:01AM) (new)

Kath | 1965 comments Shaun wrote: "Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "I thought we could put one of his books up for April. Any suggestions."

I always think The Rats was the novel."

absolutely... imo you couldnt really pick anything else...

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments The Rats would be great for the month!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sapphiresarah) | 36 comments Not read the Magic Cottage, sound really good and creepy.

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11363 comments Sounds like a fantastic tribute, I was going to read Ash next, but as long as its a paperback I own (which is most of them!) I will join in. Maybe the one they are selling for 59p

message 26: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Despite being a prolific writer (and talented in my view) he was always getting savaged by the critics. A shame.