The Diary of a Young Girl The Diary of a Young Girl discussion

Peter Van Daan's Fate?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Benjamin Stahl I assume that he was killed, but I was just curious why they never gave any kind of conclusion as to what happened to him. I don't know, it just felt a little disrespectful not to give him a mention in the end - unless they just don't have any track of him.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee here you go - http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.... - he died in Mathenhausen in 1945 - or at least as far as they can tell - there are no official records - you got to realize that when those camps were liberated people were still dying on a daily basis and there wasn't much that the allies could do

Mockingjay4421ncis Aww! I was him when we did the play of 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. That's just sad... Although I don't know what I was expecting...

message 4: by Gabby (new)

Gabby We just talked about this book :) I think the father survived , though :)

Eden's Eve '63 Benjamin wrote: "I assume that he was killed, but I was just curious why they never gave any kind of conclusion as to what happened to him. I don't know, it just felt a little disrespectful not to give him a menti..."

He died in a concentration camp. At the time the Diary was published it was not definitive, although most likely and Mr. Frank chose not emhasize that part. As you might notice, almost all stage productions since it was first produced end as the soldiers are about to enter the attic and the set lights go down. You see the inhabitants of the attic as they were throughout the play, as Mr. Frank remembers them, how he wants you to see them. When the lights go up, Otto Frank is alone reading the diary in the empty attic and Anne's voice can be heard in his memory - "after everything, I still believe people are good". You are to assume the rest.

Eden's Eve '63 FYI In the years just after the war people were very much reluctant to talk and refer to the war, it was to soon for many, and it wasn't a matter of "disrespect" not to release details of the attics inhabitant's final end, but rather to guard families privacy. Perhaps that was wrong in the light of how we believe now. Also, when the play was produced of the diary, there was a great deal of a push to make it "universal theme" - that this could happen to any one anywhere and so the producers wanted to be less specific about the details of individual persons who were portrayed in the play. They were to be more representative of a young man and a young woman than actual individual people - again that is now thought to perhaps have been wrongheaded.

message 7: by Stéphanie (last edited Mar 25, 2013 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stéphanie I know this is totally off topic. but you guys typing ''miep'' is just funny. sorry no disrespect intended.

''Vlak voor de bevrijding van het kamp door de Russen, werd Peter met tal van andere gevangenen op 'dodenmars' naar Mauthausen in Oostenrijk gestuurd. Dat was enkel het lot van degenen die nog in staat waren om te lopen: Otto Frank was achtergebleven in Auschwitz. Peter stierf in het concentratiekamp Mauthausen, drie dagen voor de bevrijding.''

it says that just before that they got liberated, that many of the men who were able to walk were sent into a deadmanswalk (that how I translate it...) to mauthausen in austria. Otto stayed behind in Auschwitz. Peter died in Mauthausen three days before te liberation.

Sandra Great book..this was actually one of the first books my Mom gave me, and its such a good read!!

message 9: by Englisharchaeologist (last edited Apr 04, 2013 04:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Englisharchaeologist anybody want to know something? most of the people in this book die literally just before liberation. this includes Peter Vaan Daan. The father,Otto, went on to publish his daughters diary. Thank you, Anne Frank. I wish you had survived.

Claire Englewood Stéphanie wrote: "I know this is totally off topic. but you guys typing ''miep'' is just funny. sorry no disrespect intended.

''Vlak voor de bevrijding van het kamp door de Russen, werd Peter met tal van andere gev..."

Thanks, Stephanie, for the translation. For "deadmanswalk", I would guess this is similar to the Death March that was forced on the survivors of Auschwitz when liberation was near, the Nazis force marched them out and over to the next camp. It was very brutal and many died en route.

message 11: by Eric (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eric Andrews-Katz Otto Frank tried to convince Peter to go into the Hospital at Auschwitz when rumors of liberation were being circulated towards the end. Peter was afraid because of the rumors that everyone in the infirmary would be killed before the camp was deserted. Otto took the chance and all others (able to walk) were marched off on the "DeadMansWalk" or the "Death March" out of Poland and into still occupied Germany. Anyone who stopped on this march was shot by the road and bodies were left as a trail of the march. There were no ways to identify these people by the time they were discovered.
Mr. Dussel (not his real name - Dussel means idiot in German and was a name Anne gave him) had a son in England that survived the war.
Otto was the only one of the attic to survive and he didn't originally want the diary to be published.