David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archive's > Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 8 comments I had never heard of this series until the movie came out. I have not yet seen the movie because I prefer to read the books first. I've read the first boo and I really liked it a lot. Getting ready to read the second one. Who else has read it? What did you think?

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I haven't read any of them but I'm really curious about them! Are they really good? I'm trying to finish all the series I've started but not finished lol so I'm hesitant to start another, will I will if it's worth it!

message 3: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments I thought Beautifull Creatures is just an okay series. It was good, but a bit too long and for some reason I found it difficult to remember what was going on. I have read the first 2 books and hardly remember what happened in them. I did like the setting. Overall I think these books would be better if they were a bit shorter and faster paced.

message 4: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Tori wrote: "I've only read the first book and while I loved the story, I thought that it did get long and even a bit boring."

Indeed :). I thought the story was good and it certainly was original with the idea of Casters and such. It just was too long and slow paced and indeed even boring at times.

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I've read all but the last one, and I loved them! Let's see, what can I tell you to give you a feel? hmmm...

They are very different. They take place in a sleepy, small, Southern town. The MC is Ethan, whom is very popular, but friendly, and can't wait to leave his small town behind! He's totally ordinary...except he has these strange dreams about a girl he's never met, and keeps hearing this weird song in his head.

The Duchannes family are rich and own most of the town. Macon is the head of the household, a hermit that hasn't been seen out of his mansion for years. Until the day his stange niece, Lena comes to town. The kicker is that she is the girl from Ethan's dream!

The book has a lot of paranormal--Voodoo, Casters (witches and warlocks), even vampires towards the end. Every character and creature is extremely unique.

Lena and Ethan, of course, fall in love, but the clock is ticking. When Lena turns 16, she will come into her powers--she will either be completely light (good) or completely dark (evil). Meanwhile, all these strange things are happening, and the town is ready to burn Lena at the stake!

The movie left a lot out (its a pretty big book!) but I liked it! Even my hubby did, and this is not typically his cup of tea!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments I read #1.... I wasn't as jazzed as many others. It was LONG... very wordy, very descriptive, but I think alot could have been cut and still a good book. It barely, like almost didn't, get 4 hearts from me. I was leaning toward 3, but I did keep reading.

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I like long, wordy books so that explains why I liked it so much!

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Cool, thanks all ;)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments I agree with Alanna - long, wordy, and the male protag was obviously written by two women (emo much?)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments My track record with long windy books is pretty bad - hated Twilight, DNF Mortal Instruments, and didn't like this one. They are just not for me I guess.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

i just finished this series, two days ago.

message 12: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I'm reading the first book now! i'm 48% through it. Not sure whether or not to put it down and read Clockwork Princess...hmmm....

message 13: by Yzabel (new)

Yzabel Ginsberg (yzabelginsberg) | 60 comments I only read the first one. I liked it, but I agree that it was a little too long. Some parts could've been cut without the story overall suffering, and this would've made the pace faster.

message 14: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 8 comments I really loved the first book and I actually liked how long It was! I love To get lost in books And I never want them To end. I bought the second book but I have not read it yet. Sorry for bad grammar and typos but I am on my phone

message 15: by Katelyn (new)

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) Lolita wrote: "I thought Beautifull Creatures is just an okay series. It was good, but a bit too long and for some reason I found it difficult to remember what was going on. I have read the first 2 books and hard..."

This. I just did not enjoy the book very much and I think that the length had something to do with it.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments Same here Katelyn

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments I had to read the first for a class - I didn't have strong feelings about it one way or the other. It was just ok...I don't have enough interest in it to continue the series.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 2372 comments You read this for a class?? Ugh!

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Heidi (Seriously. Trust me.) wrote: "You read this for a class?? Ugh!"

I was in a YA lit class for by grad school program. Overall, it was awesome but then some of the books we read not so much...