Independent Author Services and Promotions discussion

Advice > Book Series???

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Something I have been curious about is that I have been noticing more and more authors are doing multiple book series(like Stephenie Meyer) and I am just trying to figure if this is just a popular thing to do now or is the worlds of writers that huge?
I can understand if you have a fantasy world like George R.R. Martin's books, but I am just also thinking that as writers we seem to have lost the prose of writing a short story.
What are your thoughts?

message 2: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I think it depends on the story, some scream to be a series, some don't... I also think some writers are to consumed with word count and make smaller word count books, thus a series is born... I think it just depends on the book. But I think there have been "series" for a while, they are usually blanketed under a reoccurring main character. :)

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments so true.....I think like you said, some writers like to see the word count go up and up and up and some even like to put pages and pages of details in their novels to where it screams for 'series'.
Something else I have noticed that most readers love longer books so they can sit and enjoy a book without reading it too quickly.
Do the book readers here like long long novel or short ones???

message 4: by Rene (new)

Rene Folsom (renefolsom) | 47 comments Mod
Honestly, as a reader, the length of the read depends on the genre. With most genres, I like to have a normal length novel. However, by the time I get to the end of a novel, I'm usually completely infatuated with the characters. So, I'm glad authors continue on and make them into a series.

However, sometimes my life becomes very busy with no time to immerse myself in a lengthy novel. In which case a short story is perfect to feed my reading addictions and not get stuck reading into the wee hours of the morning.

As a writer, short stories can be quite fun and a good way to keep your mind active in between novel ideas. In some genres, a themed series of shorts is also a very good marketing ploy. Whether the shorts are related to the same characters or just have the overall same theme, it gives the readers something else to move on to once they've become addicted to your writing. :)

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Ahhh so true.
I got admit, I did read the entire Dune series of books when I was in high school and loved them...

message 6: by Rene (new)

You're right, Shane. When it comes to fantasy, short stories just don't cut it. But, if you open your mind to different genres (namely erotica), short stories tend to be the favorites. In some genres, readers are just looking for a quick read that makes them smile vs. a long, dramatic story. So, I think when it comes to the length of a book and building a series, it also depends on the genre. Short stories, novelettes, and novellas built into a series are very popular and easy to read/write in the contemporary romance and erotica worlds.

message 7: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I never count words unless its a short story... And I think any genre can be written as a short story... The purpose of a short story is to give a glimpse I to another world... And writing short stories makes you a better writer. The exercise of being more selective with words and making sure to get your point across in only a few pages... Write what you feel and see, if you can't edit yourself, that's why we have editors... Sorry, I just don't get word count... I just want story

message 8: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments Sorry, didn't mean to be annoyed with anyone in particular, just annoyed when, like you said, a publisher wants a word count rather than a great book. I think a true fantasy (creating a whole new world) lends itself to series because it is just that, everything is new. I think we're all on the same page for the most part. Write well, and deliver. ;)

message 9: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I hear you... Mine is like mine...LOL!! I well, the way if the writing world :)

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments That's why I think the big publishers are spiraling downwards due to the fact they want to keep trying to repeat past best sellers instead of looking towards the future with indie authors I think:)

message 11: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments Big publishers don't market unless you're somebody... They just provide service and when an Indie does make money, they sign them. But the trad publishers are losing money every year... I have friend who worked for them.

message 12: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I know several people who signed with big Pubs with no precious marketing and the pubs did nothing but a press release and dropping the book in stores. Don't ever count on a big publisher to promote an author unless they have a following. That's why they love celeb books, following is already there...

message 13: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments Makes one wonder what it really takes nowadays to really promote one's book and gain a following??
Dress in some costume to hype one's book:)

message 14: by Rene (new)

LOL Now you're getting it, Darren! :)

message 15: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments well..you think when people walk by my book signing table and they see a tall lizard like alien that would make them stop and buy my book:)

message 16: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Dearing (sldearing) | 54 comments I definitely would!!!

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren (einstein36) | 18 comments LOL....