To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant, #4) To Love and Be Wise discussion

Anyone who collects of classic mysteries?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Madaus I am trying to get in touch with anyone who collects classic mysteries like this, particularly in the Northeast or Midwest.

Cheryl Hoover I'm mad for Josephine Tey. Have you read 'A shilling for candles', or any of the other 6 she wrote? When you ask for classics are you taking about the golden era of British Mystery? Agatha Christy, Dorothy Sayers, etc?? Or stories in the classic style?

If you haven't read them all (J. Tey) hurry and do. You will love them. She has quite a wide range of interest.

Colin Mitchell Cheryl has it exactly right with Josephine Tey etc. The British Library publishes a Classic Crime Series which are reissues of the classic era.

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Madaus Monica wrote: "I am trying to get in touch with anyone who collects classic mysteries like this, particularly in the Northeast or Midwest."

Apologize! It took me three years to get back to this. Those were the authors my mother loved. Am trying to find someone who might adopt her books.

On re-reading Daughter of Time though, I have a question for people who enjoy these books. Just how strong a case do you think Tey made for her alternative version of history?

Or does it matter, since the evidence supporting the standard account was so weak itself?

Laura Rye Probably late to the party...but I am a big fan of mysteries written/set between 1910 & 1940....Have read Daughter of Time twice...love the whole series...half way through Ngaio Marsh's books...and Margery Allingham's Campion series was brilliant. Just finished the Philo Vance murder case series by S.S. Van Dine...highly recommend them....I try to get older copies when I can...the vintage pbs have amazing cover art for the mystery selections.