SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Other Discussions & Chats > Personal - Got some bad medical news tonight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 370 (370 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Chrizette (last edited Mar 20, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments For the last week and a half I have gone for test after test and scan after scan (not fun when you have a bit of claustophobia).
It turns out that I have a melanoma in my lung. Luckily it is localized and have not spread anywhere. As it is only a melonoma (apparently the least serious of the cancers), it requires only surgery to remove and if the path. results afterwards is in my favor, no chemo or other treatment will be required.
I imagine that the surgery will be quite serious as a lung is difficult to get to :) So it will mean a week or two (or more) that I won't be able to work. I will not be surprised if my new employer asks me to go. I will be very sad about that as I have enjoyed the last few days and was really looking forward to a paycheck at the end of the month.

The timing really sucks.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Omg! Don't worry about the timing, worry about getting healthy again! And don't think you're boring us with this, because we are here for you! You're in my prayers and thoughts and I hope your surgery goes well and the path results will be in your favor. Please keep us informed on how you are doing!

message 3: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
I’m sorry to hear that you are going through this Chriz!

I want you to know that we are all here for you to listen and chat about it when you need to :)

And what Barbara said. Getting healthy is your first step! Don't worry about the job for now, there are always other jobs out there.

I’ll keep you in my thoughts!

message 4: by Chrizette (last edited Mar 20, 2013 12:33PM) (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you guys :)
I am worried about the surgery - hospitals are not my favourite of places and I have an unhealthy fear of anesthesia. I am always worried that I wasn't given enough and I will wake up halfway through the surgery - lol
Too many horror movies, I guess :)

message 5: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Yea surgery doesn't seem fun! They do however give you good drugs that will hopefully make the anxiety and fear a bit better :)

When will the surgery be if I may ask?

message 6: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I only saw the oncologist tonight - he spoke with the surgeon and I will probably hear from his receptionist on Friday. Then I will know when I will see him.

Everything has been going really fast(this is only the second week)and it sounds as if the surgery will already be next week. Probably a good thing so that I don't have to worry for too long.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

I understand your fears. I don't want to scare you or give you new ideas to worry about but I too have a fear for surgery. But my fear is that I won't wake up. Fortunately the one time I had surgery I woke up again.

message 8: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2138 comments Mod
You'll be in our prayers and good luck with the next steps. Surgery is never fun, but thankfully they've picked it up early and cancer treatment has improved hugely over the past few decades.

Please keep us up to date if you feel up to it, we'll be here for you.

message 9: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I think I should stop reading about lung operations on the internet - it is making me even more nervous. LOL

If it is really as I have now seen on the internet, this will be the biggest operation I have had. Including days in the ICU (Oh.My.Goodness).

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I'm so sorry to hear about this Chriz :( And don't imagine that you're boring us. I think we all know how great it is to have online friends to talk to no matter where you are, so post, DM, email or chat whenever you feel. I wish you all the best for the next few weeks.

As someone who's not particularly afraid of surgery, I can offer one tiny tip: take note of the very brief but utterly wonderful moment when the anaesthetic starts to take affect and you feel like warm honey swirled into a cup of tea.
Then you'll blink, and it'll be over.

message 11: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
Sorry to hear about the bad news, hope everything goes well and that you can concentrate on getting healthy. Stay away from the internet and Google when it comes to health issues, that way leads to madness and paralyzing fear.

message 12: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments @Lauren I agree - I love my online friends. My husband told the main family members and have asked them not to call last night (and I have been ignoring calls this morning). "Talking" with my online friends have been much easier and have meant a lot!

@Carolien Thank you :) I am afraid of the surgery but (I think) I have made peace with the fact that it has to be done, so my worrying about it won't change anything. When I see the surgeon, I will ask for details about it. I want to know exactly how it will be done, so that I don't dream up senarios.

@Barbara I don't fear not waking up (I won't know about that) - I fear waking up in the middle of the surgery! lol

message 13: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments @Crusader Thank you - my husband says the same. He calls it "Google Doctor". I just wanted to see what such an operation would mean and the how big the cuts would be. We have a planned holiday in the middle of April that I am afraid that I won't be able to go on if all is not healed in time.

message 14: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Chrizette, I'm sorry to hear about the news. You will be in my prayers. I know it can be difficult, but staying positive really does help with recovery and overall anxiety levels. Try to not concentrate on the job for now, there are more jobs out there and only one of you!

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1262 comments Mod
Chrizette I am so sorry to hear your news! I can only imagine what you must be feeling right now. But I also think that you should be thankful that it has been diagnosed early and the doctors seem to have such a proactive treatment.

As for the surgery, I don't think you should be going on the internet too much. If you research aspirin on the internet you probably would be too scared to take it! Just trust in your doctor.

Please know that my thoughts are with you!! ♥

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Meyer | 15 comments Chrizette, We are thinking of you out here in the Kruger Park. Will say a prayer for you, and hope to hear good news in the future.

message 17: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you for the good wishes everyone :) Yeah Google Doctor is scary. Not a good idea but not at least now I don't have fantasies of being in and out in a day. Will let you know when I speak with the surgeon.

message 18: by Carolien (new)

The Emperor of All Maladies is probably a better idea than Google Doctor if you really want to read up about cancer. (In Goodreads tradition, I think I really should send you to a BOOK!) It's called the biography of cancer and has some great reviews. I picked up a copy at the Readers Warehouse in January for R100. My stepfather died of cancer in 2008, so I am really thinking of you.

message 19: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Surgery will be on Wednesday and I will be in hospital for a minimum of 4 days.
The recovery time is 3 - 4 weeks.
I will talk to my boss on Monday but . . . a month is a long time, so I am not getting my hopes up.
My family has gathered around me and are already making plans to keep me company, clean the house and preparing dinners. :) My husband and I are kind of private people, so I am dreading having so many people around me all the time.

message 20: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Will be thinking of you on Wednesday!

Shame yea people do tend to hover. But atleast it takes a lot of pressure off you and you can just relax and recover! And bonus someone else making dinner :)

message 21: by Barbara (new)

I will be thinking of you on Wednesday too.

I understand your need to be alone but the people who love you, feel the need to help you and that is their way of dealing with all that is happening. Just make sure you set boundaries with things they can do for you and things you absolutely don't want. That way you'll prevent trouble.

I hope your boss understands and if not then something better will come along!

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith I understand your apprehension - my boyfriend and I are quite private too. However, you might be surprised to find how much you appreciate their company and their help.

I'm glad you've got a date for the surgery and that it's quite soon. As you said earlier, it doesn't give you too much time to worry.

It really sucks about your new job, but maybe your boss will be able to work out some kind of compromise?

message 23: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and I understand that they want to help. I am sure in the first week or so, I will really appreciate it when I am not able to easily do things myself. But my SIL already said she will be sitting with me in hospital every day until I chase her away . . . lol

Luckily easter weekend will be right in the middle of my time in hospital, so I will just be able to say "Don't worry, hubby will be with me . . . "

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Chrizette wrote: "But my SIL already said she will be sitting with me in hospital every day until I chase her away . . . "

That does sound a bit scary :)

message 25: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Lauren wrote: That does sound a bit scary :)"

LoL - yeah :) She has a personality that likes to take charge.

message 26: by Carolien (new)

We're also quite private. I was very greatful for visiting hours each time I was in hospital with the birth of our babies. They allow spouses in any time, but anybody else is limited to visiting hours so that should give you some breathing room! Think of all the reading you are going to be able to do...

message 27: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am looking forward to the reading time (until Kelly and Lu has now talked me into being curious about World of Warcraft - lol).

If things get too hectic with hubby's sister, I will just have him talk to her.

message 28: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie (annenella) | 11 comments Will be thinking about you. My mom had the same operation years ago and it was very successful but the recovery time is quite long unfortunately and she also had a bit of problem at work but luckily did not lose her job.
Enjoy your family support and take it slow.

message 29: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments @Annemarie - Thank you for the kind words :) Would you mind if I PM you? I am curious about the recovery in hospital and what it will mean.

message 30: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
The best of luck for tomorrow Chriz! I will have you in my thoughts :)

I'm going away on excavation, but please let us know how you are etc. here. I'll ask Lauren to let me know.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

I will be thinking of you tomorrow Chrizette! I am sure everything will be fine.
What time is your surgery?

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith All the best for tomorrow Chriz!

message 33: by Carolien (new)

We'll be thinking of you. You're in our prayers.

message 34: by Annemarie (new)

Annemarie (annenella) | 11 comments Good luck and am sure all will be fine. Contact anytime

message 35: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you very much for all your kind wishes. I am getting really nervous now. Just keep thinking tomorrow night this time all will be over. My surgery will be at 13h00.

If all goes well, I should be out of hospital by Sunday or Monday and will drop a line here as soon as I feel up to it.

message 36: by Crusader (new)

Crusader (crusaderza) | 2452 comments Mod
Good luck. We'll all be thinking of you!

message 37: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you, Crusader. I have been blown away by all the good wishes and messages - you guys are great!

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Good Luck Chriz! All will go well and you'll be up and raring to go in no time!

message 39: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you, Kelly :)

message 40: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Good luck for today, Chriz.

message 41: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you :) Having my last cup of coffee . . .

message 42: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Best of luck! Will think of you the whole day :)

message 43: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you, Lu :) Leaving for the hospital in the next few minutes.

message 44: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Hello everyone

I am home at last :) Was released yesterday. I spent 5 days in ICU and the last three in a normal ward. Wow, what wonderful treatment I received. The nurses in ICU are angels - they were there for every breath I took.

Don't want to talk too much about it but had a bit of a hard time the first two day starting with all my veins collapsing so that they could not give me anethesia - they had to give me gas to get me to sleep, so they could start searching for the veins (I am purple and blue :)

Then the first night my body was in shock and refused to let me sleep - I kept of "shocking" myself awake every five minutes for the whole night. The next day the docter prescribed a sleeping pill. Things really started improving after that. I also had an epidural, so pain was minimal and if there was even a little twitch, I got additional medication.

I am doing well now. I still get tired after just a few steps and am a bit short of breath. I sleep A LOT. I read a few pages and my eyes just want to fall closed.

Thank you to everyone for all the postive thoughts you sent my way. I really appreciate everyone's good wishes. I am so glad that all of this is past tense now.

message 45: by Barbara (new)

I am so glad to hear from you. I was really worried. You sure had a rough time but I am very glad you are home again. Now you can "relax" and start to heal. I hope you start to feel much better very soon!

message 46: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Thanks for taking the time to update us Chrizette. I'm glad to hear you were lucky had such good care and that the operation went well. It must be such a relief to be at home though! All the best for your recovery :)

message 47: by Carolien (new)

So glad to hear you're recovering well. Hope you feel a lot better soon!

message 48: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Thank you everyone :) I am doing well - as soon as my pain medication kicks in, I am ready for the day :)

Got some more good news. I "spoke" (emails) to my boss yesterday and they are keeping my job for me. They have hired someone to stand in for me for April. :) And to make it even better is that the person is a friend of mine :) I am glad she will also be able to earn a little extra too.

message 49: by Lu (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
So glad to hear from you Chriz! Take everything easy and I wish you all the best!

Wonderful news about your job :)

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kelstretch) Yay! so glad everything went well and that you're home safe and sound and healing up well!

Great about the job as well!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8