Perspective Plus discussion

Tales from the Plus Side > The real downside to surgery

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 1031 comments Mod
I found this on yahoo! today and I think that this is just so.....read it for yourself and you tell me.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living...

message 2: by Narzain (new)

Narzain | 194 comments On the one hand, heartbreaking. Both for the destructive myths that she and her doctor bought into, and for the self-loathing that afflicted her both before and after.

On the other hand, I applaud her for the conclusion that she came to. I hope that she will be able to hold on to that conviction for a long time.

message 3: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

I wanted to cry when she talked about the airplane. How many of us have felt that way when we walk into anywhere and have to sit next to people we don't know? I know that when I go to programs at the library that unless Narzain is with me, another friend is with me or unless seats are sparse, people will sit anywhere but next to me, as if fat is catching. I have also found as well that when you are fat everyone feel that they can say whatever they want to you and you are supposed to be grateful for whatever piece of advice they impart.

I am glad that she reached the conclusion she did and I hope that she will find the balance she needs in her life. I have a friend who is seeking this surgery,not for vanity sake, but for health reasons. I told him that as long it is indeed health reasons, I will support him, but if it is only for vanity, I will try to talk him out of the surgery.

This surgery is seen as an end all/be all by so many doctors because they believe so many myths. Myths abound in the medical field. It is so sad that people who are supposed to watch out for us let us down the most often.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (merman1967) | 228 comments I felt that way yesterday at the job fair. It was a cattle call, about 600 teachers told where to sit. No options. The seats were tightly packed (as were the teachers). Small, skinny little folk looked cramped. That part of the experience was VERY uncomfortable. BLEAH

message 5: by Kim, Proud Queen of the Fat and Fabulous! (new)

Our sardine world is even wearing on the "healthy" weighted. Airlines are making it hard on the thin ones to sit comfortably so what chance does a person with a few pounds of extra love supposed to do?