Drama and Theatre discussion

Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra on Bravo (Canada)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 110 comments Bravo! Presents Christopher Plummer in Stratford’s CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA, Airing Saturday, April 4
Posted on Monday, March 23, 2009 - 03:31 PM

Bravo!’s film version of the Stratford Shakespeare Festival’s hit play CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA screened to sold-out audiences at Cineplex Entertainment theatres across Canada earlier this year. Now television viewers can witness the acclaimed performance of legendary Canadian actor Christopher Plummer, and experience the drama, intrigue and comedy of George Bernard Shaw’s celebrated play when Bravo! presents CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA. The 90-minute live-to-tape production airs Saturday, April 4 at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.

CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA is a witty and seductive comedy about the relationship between a veteran Roman political strategist and an enchanting Egyptian teenage queen. Stratford’s production was hailed by The New York Times as “the climactic event in the company's impressive current season." The Toronto Star praised the Bravo! presentation, saying, “What was already a first-rate production when it opened… has gotten even better in its cinematic transfer….” The play stars Plummer along with Nikki M. James and is directed by Stratford’s Artistic Director and Tony Award® -winner Des McAnuff.

“Bravo! is thrilled to deliver the critically acclaimed production of CAESAR AND CLEOPATRA to audiences across Canada,” said Isme Bennie, Vice President and General Manager, Bravo! “The high quality production captures the true experience of witnessing Shaw’s celebrated play on the prestigious Stratford Festival stage.”

Plummer was born in Montreal and has become one of the most recognized actors in North America, with two Tony awards and two Emmy® awards topping his list of accomplishments.

Celebrating this great event, HarperCollinsCanada has published a special edition of the screenplay of Caesar and Cleopatra in hardcover, now available wherever books are sold.

Produced in association with Bravo!, through the Centre Stage Benefits, and Melbar Entertainment Group, the critically acclaimed special was filmed in 2008 before a live audience in Stratford, Ontario. Produced by Barry Avrich and executive produced by Christopher Plummer, Barry Avrich and Michael Levine, and directed for the screen by Shelagh O’Brien, the High Definition multi-camera production captures Plummer’s highly-praised portrayal of Julius Caesar and the captivating comedic drama of Shaw’s renowned play.

Support for this project was provided by CTV/Bravo!, Cineplex Entertainment, American Express, the Bluma Appel Community Trust, NBC Universal and Jim Doak.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 32 comments Thanks for posting this, Jenna. I've always loved that play, but haven't read it in quite a while (and I've never seen a production). I also love the Stratford Festival. I haven't been for years, but I think our daughter is old enough now to appreciate it and I was thinking about checking out the 2009 season on my way into work today -- just before I read your post. Serendipity!