TV We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Bates Motel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Holli (new)

Holli Did anyone watch this? I really liked it

A lot of people checked into Bates Motel on Monday night, as the dark drama took a stab at an A&E record. With its initial 10 pm airing, the Bates family origin story drew 3 million total viewers, with 1.6 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot. That demo delivery marks an A&E high for an original drama series debut. Breakout Kings was the previous record holder, with 1.5 million in the demo, while Longmire last summer delivered a larger premiere audience (4.1 mil) but skewed older, with less than a million aged 18-49.

For the night, Bates Motel checked in 4.6 million total viewers, with 2.4 mil in the 18-49 demo.

“Bates Motel represents the very best of quality storytelling with an incredible cast led by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore,” A&E boss Bob DeBitetto said in a statement. “We are extremely pleased with the initial viewer response to this edgy and provocative series and are confident that it will continue to draw in new audiences.”

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 162 comments It was interesting. The actress who plays Norma is great.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes she is!

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments I love Vera Farmiga. Remember her little sister from from season of American Horror Story? She was daughter.

message 5: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh that's right!! Are you watching this one Court?

message 6: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments YUP! I'm giving it a few episodes, Holli. xo

message 7: by Jackie (last edited Mar 24, 2013 04:19PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I liked it; I'm looking forward to finding out what made Norman a psycho. And it's off to a good start...Norma's control over him and then the rape/murder scene could really mess up a young boy.

I've always liked VF and she's fabulous as Norma. I like Norman too, I can't wait to see his transition.

One thing that was utterly stupid though, why bring the body down into the motel where it closer to the road and more apt to be discovered. Dig a hole first, dummy.

The same night I tried Top of the Lake on Sundance and my high hopes for two new good shows were instantly dashed. Hey, one is good, right?

message 8: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments I stuck with TOP OF THE LAKE, Jackie. It does get more interesting in 2nd episode. My only complaint is too many ads on Sundance make it hard to get involved with characters. I'll watch the 3rd episode and then decide for sure. xo

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Mar 24, 2013 04:58PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I watched 2 eps of Top, and it didn't do it for me. Too much was so obvious. I don't really like cop shows anyway, so they have to be exceptional for me to stick with it. Like Justified and Criminal Minds. It's not a big deal, this week I have 4 new shows, Doctor Who, Orphan Black, The Nerdist and Game of Thrones. I'm all stocked up on TV, lol

message 10: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments LOVE me some CRIMINAL MINDS! I hope BATES HOTEL is even a smidgen as good. LOL

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Criminal Minds is such a good show and it doesn't get the recognition it truly deserves. I like how each episode opens with a quote. I love the characters, the cases.

I read some interesting things in EW this week about Bates Motel.
"they offer a range of puzzles about the Bates increasingly sinister-seeming new burg. Who, for example, turned a warehouse owner into a human torch? What's up with that big field of marijuana? Is Norman's half brother, Dylan, a villain or a victim-to-be, or both? And can Norman and his cystic-fibrosis-stricken love interest, Emma, uncover the mystery of the kidnapped girl who was once held prisoner at the motel now owned by Norma?"

Sounding pretty good to me!

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy (jeditimothy) | 599 comments I am going to record the first 5 eps on my dvr and then check it out like I all ways do.

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments This is really good to me. Norman is f-ing crazy! I'm not sure what's real and what isn't!

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli Me either!!

message 15: by Holli (new)

Holli renewed for another season

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Dark-eyed Juncos are nice birds. We get quite a few of them & Cardinals. They are great pictures.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments I didn't know if i was going to like this show at first. I thought it was going to be a cheesy take on a classic horror film. It's got horror and drama. A lot of twists and turns from the first two episodes. Good deal on another Season.

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Vera Farmiga is amazing in the role of Norma. She deserves an Emmy for this performance.

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes she does Jackie! And Jim, that's how I felt too and I was so happy when it turned out to be well done

message 20: by Jackie (last edited May 11, 2013 11:44AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I too had no hope of it being good, I thought I'd watch one episode and drop it. I love to be surprised like this. Rarely does a show exceed expectations.

Anyone watching Hannibal, it exceeds expectations also.

message 21: by Holli (new)

Holli Yes!! I LOVE Hannibal. I'm anxiously waiting to hear if it's renewed. I have a thread for it in the 1st Season show folder. By the way Jackie, can you think of a better name for the folder besides New Shows or 1st Season Shows?

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments How about "1st Season New Shows", bring both together and is clear about what the Topic is. Then we just move them to genre when it gets renewed, or cancelled if that's the case.

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Get out of my brain Holli and Jackie! Vera Farminga should win an emmy because the nuance of her character is unreal! Love Hannibal as well. xo

message 24: by Jackie (last edited May 11, 2013 11:48AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments The writers should an Emmy for those nuances, as good as an actor/actress is, it's still dependent upon excellent writing. Is there an Emmy for writers? I don't watch awards shows, and afterwards when the list comes up, I only look at the basic awards, best actor/actress, best show. If there isn't an award, there should be one.

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (courtneyclift) | 924 comments Of course there are awards for the writers. And you are 100% correct they should! xo

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Very cool, they're the force behind great TV.

message 27: by Bronda (new)

Bronda | 11 comments This show gets more & more interesting. Just when you think Norma & Norman are outta trouble something else happens. It's such a great new show!

message 28: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I know! How much bad luck can one woman have? It's Norma who attracts The Crazy, and poor Norman is there for the ride.

Does anyone thing he's gonna kill Bradley?
I hope he does. She's such a manipulative little twat, pretending to be sweet and nice.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan I hate Bradley!!!

message 30: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I hate her too. Go Norman! lol

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan I think she is gonna hook up with the brother and he is sleezy enough to go with her!!

message 32: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments She will try. And he does seem enamored, which sucks because Dylan wasn't so bad, he sticks up for Norman, so I don't know why he'd screw him over now. Norman will kill him too.

message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan Is there just one more show? At first, I wasn't crazy about Bates but it has grown on me! What about that man that wants the money? He is just creepy!!!

message 34: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Yes, the finale is next week.
He gives me the shivers. His looks are bad enough, but the creepy way he speaks, my skin crawls.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan Yeah imagine meeting him in a dark alley! LOL

message 36: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments No thank you, lol
There's something inhuman about him.

message 37: by Susan (new)

Susan Like he's already dead??? LOL

message 38: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Wishful thinking, lol

message 39: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Season 2 will premiere in March.

message 40: by Susan (new)

Susan Ugghhh......four more months!!

message 41: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments I thought it would be in the summer, so I'm kinda pleased with March. I hope we get more episodes this season, last season was really short.

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan I hope they show the first season again!!

message 43: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments They probably will, most of these cable channels do a marathon shortly before the new season.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan Excellent!!!

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) | 215 comments Awesome. I thought this was cancelled.

message 46: by Kuki (new)

Kuki (goodreadscomkuki) | 163 comments Starts back up on March 7

message 47: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments Nice! Thanks for the info

message 48: by Susan (new)

Susan Cant wait!!!

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan The new season is crazy!! I feel bad for Romero......he has no idea who he is sleeping with! Hahaha

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4961 comments It's one of the best acted shows on TV, when Freddie Highmore is doing Norma, wow. Embrace the cray cray, lol

« previous 1