Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > adding museum guides

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jozef (new)

Jozef Nakielski (jozef_nakielski) | 100 comments Do we add museum guide books that don't have ISBN's or Authors but describe the history of somewhere or something?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Mar 20, 2013 09:45AM) (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Doesn't really sound like it qualifies as a book for GR purposes.

message 3: by Jozef (new)

Jozef Nakielski (jozef_nakielski) | 100 comments I can't decide. They are actually books. One is about the beaulieu estate, the palace and rooms, abbey, motor museum. The other is a book about james bond vehicles that were at the museum but is about the vehicles, nothing specific to the museum.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) ISBNs are not a requirement. I would think the dividing line would be if was actually in book form without promotional material that might expire (the "ephemeral" rule that would disqualify event specific materials). A hard or soft bound book versus a folded brochure or advertisement.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42415 comments Mod
Also whether it counts as published.

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Museums often have a curator write an exhibition "catalog" which is a short book on the history and presentation of a particular exhibit at the museum. These tend to be published as books and read long after the exhibition closes at the museum; usually these will have ISBNs and identified authors, although some won't. I don't know if it would be widely useful after the fact, but a capitalism-centric rule of thumb would be: "Is this something which would be for sale in the museum's gift store (book) or handed out for free in front of an exhibit (not a book)?"

message 7: by Jozef (new)

Jozef Nakielski (jozef_nakielski) | 100 comments They were definitely for sale and would be of interest even to people who hadn't visited the museum as the content doesn't need the museum to make sense. They're spined paper back books.