Happily Ever After Book Club discussion

Book & Poll Discussions > Book Chat - Dead Running

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 635 comments Mod
I had typed up this whole post (on my iPhone) and it didn't save!!! Anyway, I actually haven't finished reading this one. I'm about 30% in. I do like it and I plan on finishing, I just haven't had much reading time lately. I do think I would like the book more if I could read it in one sitting. Breaking it up has been a little frustrating. Since I haven't gotten that far I'm still unsure about Cassie. She doesn't act 26 to me. I also can't figure out why she is pushing herself to do a marathon when she clearly hates running so much. I personally don't like running, I can see why people do though.

There is some mystery woven in, I can kind of guess where things are going (I won't know if I'm right until I finish). Sometimes Cassie's reactions seem a little unbelievable. As well as we jokes, they fall a little flat for me. But, all my qualms could be from not being able to sit and get into the book.

I'll just end with a pet-peeve of mine. It drives me nuts when women go jogging alone. I guess I've heard too many horror stories to ever think that is a good idea. If you are going to do it, at least go in very public areas and during the day.

So, what were your thoughts??

message 2: by Tiffany (last edited Mar 20, 2013 06:40PM) (new)

Tiffany | 19 comments I didn't think I would love the book as much as I did. I absolutely loved Cassie! I loved her unusual personality but so loved the comments she made. They made me laugh and most of the time I had a huge smile on my face. I do run on occasion not these distance runs or the speeds she takes things but found the running parts of the story interesting as well.

I would have to agree with Kathy about the running alone. She didn't seem to learn even after bad experiences occurred.

I also have to say I loved Dr. Tattoo. I am not a tats fan myself but for some reason I found his character hot! I just wish he would have been in the story more and actually had some verbal conversations with Cassie.

I loved the relationship between the "hot redhead" and Cassie. I thought it was priceless.

I also loved Cassie's relationships with her brother, nephew, sister-in-law, Nana and Tasha. I really enjoyed the characters.

The mystery portion of the story I didn't find to surprising but still enjoyed.

Thanks for the pick for March!

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (Hiding in the Pages) | 188 comments Mod
I also loved Cassie!! When embarrassing things happen to me, I want to hide, but she just made a joke out of it. I loved her nicknames for everyone and I agree with Tiffany--not a fan of tats, but loved Dr. Tattoo!! I loved the Hot Redhead--her hatred of Cassie (and vice versa) was hilarious.

I really enjoyed the setting because this is where I grew up and it was fun for me to picture the sights. I felt like I was there.

Kathy--I can, in a way, understand why she's pushing to run when she hates it. I ran track in HS, but now hate running. Last year, I did a health challenge with some friends and I found I have this competitive streak and I ended up running a lot (not to her extent). When Hot Redhead wanted her ticket to the marathon and a guy was in the picture, of course she's going to become obsessive about it. It's a challenge and she's out to win it all. Although I do agree--she shouldn't have been running alone, especially with the circumstances surrounding her family.

I was really surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Fun, fun.