Lainey Lurv Reads discussion

Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments I know Lainey raved about this book in her opening today but I will disagree a bit. I was sent an ARC of this book and I read it and it was ok, but not great for me. I found it quite bleak and a bit hard to follow along since it constantly moves between different periods of time. I'm coming to the conclusion that Lainey and I don't really love the same kinds of books since I still haven't been able to finish The Miseducation of Cameron Post!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Elliott | 12 comments Thanks for letting us know it wasn't that great so I don't go in with too high expectations. Will be reading it once my copy becomes available at the library.

I love books that go back and fourth between periods of time (when done well), so I'm hoping I'll love it like Lainey does.

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments I just reviewed a book called The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley that's due out shortly and I absolutely loved it! It also switches between present day and the past and I liked it so much more than Life After Life. Don't get me wrong, I liked Life After Life and I liked the idea of living your life over and over again, but I didn't love it. I found it a bit bleak at parts. I would highly recommend The Firebird once it's available though.

message 4: by Nichole (new)

Nichole Fisher | 1 comments Life After Life is listed as one of the current giveaways here in case anyone is interested in maybe winning instead of buying.

message 5: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Kelli, just wondering how you are getting advance release copies? Thanks for the input too. I find I love Lainey's YA recs, but her others do seem to carry bleak streaks! Which is fine for me once in awhile. The older I get the more I find I read like I did as a child--for escapism.

message 6: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments I'm a blogger and I do book reviews on my blog so the publishing houses send me ARC's to review. I got Life After Life in early January. Took me a long time to get through it.

message 7: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments That's so awesome, Kelli! What's your blog?

message 8: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments It's http://www.kellidaisy.com/ - I also write for I'm Not Obsessed and contribute to The Huffington Post. I have a bunch of book giveaways on the blog right now too!

message 9: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Ooh, I'll take a look, thanks! Sounds like an awesome job to me!

message 10: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments well it is and awesome hobby:) sadly it doesn't pay enough to be called a job, but still fun!

message 11: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 1 comments Finally read Life After Life. Mixed feelings. Loved the idea of how one thing can have drastic effects on the future, the Butterfly effect and all, but sometimes felt it was very choppy.

I did appreciate the era it was written in, as WWI and II are my preferred era for reading. Interesting concept, glad I read it.