Dorothy Parker Society Constant Reader Book Club discussion

Complete Stories
This topic is about Complete Stories
Mrs. Parker's Books > Dorothy Parker Complete Stories 1st Book

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kevin Fitzpatrick (kevinfitzpatrick) | 29 comments Mod
We have hit 100 members of the new book club so let’s start with our first group book. In the spirit of Dorothy Parker, let’s have our debut book be one of her collections: “Dorothy Parker Complete Stories.” There are 2 editions of this book available from Penguin Classics, but they are essentially the same book, with the exact same stories in both the 1995 and 2002 editions. There are also more stories in this book than are in “The Portable Dorothy Parker.” If your local shop doesn’t have “Complete Stories,” it’s still in print and can be ordered. I also see used copies on eBay and all the other usual places. Our date to start the discussion is Saturday, April 20. As Mrs. Parker would say, bonne chance!

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (teabird) | 18 comments It's also available for Nook - excellent!

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments And for Kindle.

Carol I don't have these devices. A good old fashioned hardcover or paperback is my preference when it comes to reading. Love the feel of a book in my hands and turning the pages. :)

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 6 comments Carol wrote: "I don't have these devices. A good old fashioned hardcover or paperback is my preference when it comes to reading. Love the feel of a book in my hands and turning the pages. :)"

I do, too, but the e-readers make it so easy to cart many books around at one time - great when travelling. Also, having a book on my smartphone comes in handy when I find myself waiting someplace with nothing to do. But e-readers don't stop me from keeping a stack of books to read on the nightstand! :)

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (teabird) | 18 comments As a retired librarian, I love books - paper is wonderful, but I love the Nook because I can carry hundreds of books, and because I can change the typeface and type size when my old eyes tire...

One thing I do miss about paper, though: marginalia. Yes, you can annotate the e copies, but it's not the same...

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisgitt) I have only read the Portable Dorothy Parker. This is a great choice!

My parents gave me a Kindle for my birthday a few years ago, and I cannot believe how much I love it. I've always adored everything about books from the covers to the typeface, but I love being able to carry 100s of books with me everywhere. I also appreciate being able to enlarge the type size.

message 8: by Harriette (new)

Harriette | 1 comments The local library has zero written by Mrs. Parker. I'll put in a request and hope......

Carol Several of Dorothy Parker's books, including Complete Stories, are available at Amazon or stores selling used books. The used copies cost very little.

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry Carrel | 1 comments How will this work? Will it be an online discussion on this website or will it be a real meeting where we can see each other? Also is there any particular story to read, otherwise how can we discuss an anthology?

It's an online discussion. There are less than 50 short stories and a handful of sketches. It will be broken down. "Big Blonde" will be separate. The discussion begins soon.

Are we all ready to start the discussion? Today is the day to wrap up our first group read. I started a thread for the 1st handful of stories but we can continue with others.

I'd like to break out "Big Blonde" separately, and a few others.