2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > TBR Twins, April

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Mar 20, 2013 10:04AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Post here when you and your twin have picked a book, and post again when you've finished to let us know what you thought of it.

Did your twin go MIA? Let me know, so I can pair you with someone else.

April Twins
Brittany
Robyn

Natalie
Quenby

Jackie
Heather

Tammy
Fatma

Jessica
Karin

Leonie
Kelsi

Emily
Lianne

Kai
Deedee

Sara
Anna

Morgan
Jenny

Squirrel
Craig

Jodi
Talia

Zara
Leah

Ashley (mod)
Karen

Karina
Kara

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Thanks Kara for coordinating.

Karin and I are deciding what book to read. We have SO many TBR books in common, it is great. We'll let you know what we decide.

Thanks again!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Karin and I are going to do TWO books for April.

The House At Riverton by Kate Morton
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

message 4: by ZaraS (last edited Mar 20, 2013 07:31PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Leah and I are going to do The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen. This is a book I've wanted to read for a while now so this is a golden opportunity to do just that.

message 5: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 50 comments Kai and I are going to read A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Jackie - Fire & Ice Book Reviews (jackiefireicebookreviews) Heather and I are going to read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1) by Ransom Riggs

message 8: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Leonie and I are going to read Twenties Girl

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella .

I'm looking forward to some British humor. I love Sophie Kinsella!

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments Anna and I are going to finally check off George Orwell's 1984 from our TBR lists.

Thanks for doing the matching Kara!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Jodi and I are going to read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

message 11: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Sara wrote: "Anna and I are going to finally check off George Orwell's 1984 from our TBR lists.

Thanks for doing the matching Kara!"

I loved 1984. I downloaded it onto my Kindle to read it again some time soon. I read it such a long time ago. I hope you enjoy it.

message 12: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments Talia wrote: "Jodi and I are going to read Cinder by Marissa Meyer. Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer"

I am looking forward to Cinder. I hope to be done Game of Thrones soon. My friend and I are kind of competing over where we are in the book.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Karen and I will be reading The Princess Bride The Princess Bride  by William Goldman . I am so excited about this! I loved the movie...total classic! :)

message 14: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | -15 comments Brittany and I will be reading Lover At Last if I can get caught up to this one that is : )
time to go read!

message 15: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (liannevanroekel) | 245 comments Emily and I will be reading The Lightning Thief. I'm very excited, because I've heard very positive things about it.

message 16: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Squirrel and I will be reading Good Omens

message 17: by Craig (new)

Craig | 826 comments Deedee wrote: "Kai and I are going to read A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami"

Would be really interested to know what you think of this one when you're done with it - kind of in a Murakami phase just now so trying to figure out which to read next :-)

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 12 comments Fatma and I are going to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 127 comments Jenny and I are going to be reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo :)

message 20: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Great choices, all!

Karina and I will be reading Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach.

message 21: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments How's everyone doing on their books so far?

I haven't yet started mine--mostly because I thought I had a copy, and it turns out I do not. I'm hoping to start later this week.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments I'm almost finished with The House at Riverton. Should have it done tomorrow, and then I can start our second TBR book - The Storyteller.

message 23: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments I haven't started mine yet. I'm currently working my way through at least four other books for other challenges. Also on Sunday 7th April, my Dad passed away in Church so there's a lot going on in that area as well. However, I can't get to where he will be buried because he lived approximately 2000miles East of where I live.

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Zara wrote: "I haven't started mine yet. I'm currently working my way through at least four other books for other challenges. Also on Sunday 7th April, my Dad passed away in Church so there's a lot going on in ..."

Zara, so sorry to hear about your dad. Sending {HUGS} your way.

message 25: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments <3s, Zara.

message 26: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Jessica wrote: "Zara wrote: "I haven't started mine yet. I'm currently working my way through at least four other books for other challenges. Also on Sunday 7th April, my Dad passed away in Church so there's a lot..."

Thanks Jessica.

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I started The Princess Bride on Saturday and I can't put it down. Love love love the book! Can't believe it took me this long to read the book since it is one of my most favorite movies!

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Ashley wrote: "I started The Princess Bride on Saturday and I can't put it down. Love love love the book! Can't believe it took me this long to read the book since it is one of my most favorite movies!"

Ashley - I just found a copy of The Princess Bride that somehow got lost amongst the many other books on my bookshelves. Your comment makes me want to pick it up as my next book. I can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

message 29: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments The movie is one of my favorites, and I like the book even better.

message 30: by Karin (new)

Karin (karindem55) Jessica wrote: "I'm almost finished with The House at Riverton. Should have it done tomorrow, and then I can start our second TBR book - The Storyteller."

I started in the opposite order - I finished The Storyteller last week on vacation - what a good challenging read - there were a few chapters there that were emotionally heavy. Still have yet to start The House At Riverton..hopefully within the next week.

message 31: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments I just finished Twenties Girl. It was a nice, light-hearted read for me. A nice break from scholarly books that's for sure!

message 32: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Jessica wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I started The Princess Bride on Saturday and I can't put it down. Love love love the book! Can't believe it took me this long to read the book since it is one of my most favorite mov..."

You're welcome Jessica! Having seen the movie first I am just picturing Robin Wright (Buttercup) and Cary Elwes (Westley) as I read. It is delightful!

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Karin wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I'm almost finished with The House at Riverton. Should have it done tomorrow, and then I can start our second TBR book - The Storyteller."

I started in the opposite order - I finis..."

I'm reading The Westing Game as a little break before I start The Storyteller, need a "lighter" read before I tackle Jodi Picoult. I should be done with it tomorrow. but I'm torn between The Princess Bride (based on Ashley's comments) and The Storyteller next. So many books and so little time. :)

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Kara wrote: "How's everyone doing on their books so far?"

Jodi and I finished Cinder. I enjoyed it. It was a lot better than I had anticipated. I'll be reading the next book in the series, Scarlet.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 177 comments Just finished my second book of my April TBR Twin.

All I can say is WOW! What an amazing boo. Jodi Picoult does it again, excellent characters and an even more extraordinary story/several stories.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Jessica wrote: "Just finished my second book of my April TBR Twin: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

All I can say is WOW! What an amazing book. Jodi Picoult does it again, excellent characters and an even more ext..."

Jessica, I'd never heard of The Storyteller, but I just read the blurb and that sounds really good! Just added it to my TBR list.

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna | 122 comments Sara and I have finished 1984 and had an absolutely fantastic discussion. She had a great idea to discuss it by section which was really fun because we got to lay out our predictions and hopes for the book as well as discussing the book's thematic expressions.

We both really enjoyed it and, for my own part, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it and how well it's held up through the years. I expected it to be really dated and a little bit hokey but it really wasn't. If it weren't entitled 1984, I think it would hold up fairly well as a modern day sci-fi novel.

It brings up some wonderful questions (scary questions) about how much of the world we see could be controlled, our perceptions potentially altered by a technology that's become almost as pervasive as that described in the book. And the questions about the nature of humanity, good and evil and whether or not we can really choose between the two...great stuff.

I really had fun reading it and even more fun talking it over with Sara.

message 38: by Sara (new)

Sara (shesautomatic) | 112 comments I too really enjoyed both 1984 and the discussions with Anna about it! I thought the book stood up to the immense hype behind it (which is hard to do) and that it was still really relevant to today, maybe even more now so than in 1949 when it was published.

message 39: by Karin (new)

Karin (karindem55) Jessica wrote: "Just finished my second book of my April TBR Twin.

All I can say is WOW! What an amazing boo. Jodi Picoult does it again, excellent characters and an even more ext..."

Just finished The House At Riverton - I can definately say that I enjoyed The Storyteller more. The House At Riverton took me a while to get into - I feel like the first half of the book was loaded with information/backstory that I didn't need and then once I got to the middle, I couldn't put it down. I ended up giving it 4 stars and I will read Kate Morton again.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Jodi and I read a second book for April, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I'd never read a "zombie" book before, but I liked this one. The fights, the funny bits, even the gross stuff. I'd recommend it!