Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > 19th-century to early 20th century true crime

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (alienlanes) | 2 comments I'm looking for books 19th-century to early 20th century true crime stories that may be a little less well known for example, The Beautiful Cigar Girl: Mary Rogers, Edgar Allan Poe, and the Invention of Murder. New York, London, New Orleans, San Francisco are all favorite locations of that time for me.

I already know the obvious stuff like Jack the Ripper, Devil in the White City, etc.

message 2: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Apr 15, 2013 06:14AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3365 comments Mod
The Laughing Gorilla by Robert Graysmith
1920's San Francisco.

The Laughing Gorilla: A True Story of Police Corruption and Murder by Robert Graysmith

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Apr 15, 2013 06:17AM) (new)

The Murder of the Century by Paul Collins
Late 19th century. New York City.
The Postcard Killer by Vance McLaughlin also late 19th century, East coast of USA

The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars by Paul Collins

The Postcard Killer: The True Story of J. Frank Hickey by Vance McLaughlin

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Derek wrote: "All I know is that we need to get this group going & more active. The moderator for this group has been absent for a couple of years now. True crime is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Let's ge..."

I just sent a message to Goodreads about getting a new moderator for this group. I'll let you know what kind of answer I get.

message 5: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1367 comments You might like Murder In Peking by Paul French. It wasn't my cup of tea, but takes place in the early 1900's in China so you might like it.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Apr 23, 2013 07:33AM) (new)

Susan Elmore | 13 comments You might like my new book, Nameless Indignities, which is coming out May 10. Set in the 1880s-early 1900s, it centers on a mysterious rape case that was well-known at the time, but probably unfamiliar to most readers of today. In the course of my research, I uncovered some new information which led to my own theory on who did it, which I present in the book.

Nameless Indignities: Unraveling the Mystery of One of Illinois's Most Infamous Crimes by Susan Elmore
http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...

It's also on the giveaway list: (http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...)

message 7: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay (lbcgriffin) | 1 comments I'm not sure how well known it is, but I'm currently reading And The Dead Shall Rise, about the murder of Mary Phagan and the lynching of Leo Frank, Atlanta, Georgia, 1913.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsay wrote: "I'm not sure how well known it is, but I'm currently reading And The Dead Shall Rise, about the murder of Mary Phagan and the lynching of Leo Frank, Atlanta, Georgia, 1913."

That one sounds interesting. I was not aware of it, so thanks for the input. I'm going to try & get a hold of that one.

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Another reason I added the links is now they are listed on the right side, so if you are interested in any of them you can click on the link and read the Goodreads description.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Bella★✰ wrote: "Another reason I added the links is now they are listed on the right side, so if you are interested in any of them you can click on the link and read the Goodreads description."

Good idea. Thanks Bella.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.