One Wheel Drive discussion

2 legs-2 wheels > What makes a good ride tale?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marc (new)

Marc (dnadetective) | 13 comments Mod
Hey motorcycle readers,
Elsewhere on this site, we have shared a discussion about what it is about a road trip.
Do you like books about a road trip?
When you read a road trip book, what is it that keeps you engaged in the story?
Is it the travelogue?
...the people? other ride characters or people met along the way?
...the authors musings? ...deeper story?
...descriptions of the machinery (motorcycles, that is)? ...repairs/break-downs (dare I say "maintenance")?
As a writer, I have covered lots of other topics. I even published a Desiderata for motorcyclists. But I
never tackled a road trip tale but I am playing with one at the moment. Your ideas about a good/great road book are welcome here.

message 2: by Marc (new)

Listopia: Motorcycle fiction (list)
bad boys, bikers, street gangs, thriller or romance.As long as it has the urban feel.

My take on this list: cliche crap from authors that aren't really into motorcycles, just wishful thinkers.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Winters When I think of great road books, I think of the road itself as a character. I want to not only imagine myself somewhere other than my living room, but I want to feel the surface beneath my feet (smooth or rough?), smell the air (cornfields or oil refineries?), feel the sun (or rain), or hear the gravel crunch underfoot. I guess I like travel books about the people our hero meets along the way. I'm not one for wanting a mystery or thriller thrown in the mix.

message 4: by Marc (new)

I share these expectations from a road book that I will find interesting. Characters found in the environment and people. I tend to reflect on what I observe in these characters, and consider them in the context of my own character (compare, contrast, evaluate). I guess this is the introspection that comes typically to a motorcycle roadie.
What you mean by "mystery or thriller" is less clear to me though. Fiction mystery etc.? or ZMM non-fiction mystery? I confess, I am not a large consumer of fiction. So I tend to think in terms of a writer like Pirsig, exploring reality in its complexity, which is frequently mysterious.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Winters I guess what I mean is a fiction story that combines a road trip with say, a murder mystery or a thriller subplot.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Yup, I thought so. Thanks for your suggestions.
Do you have any room in your reading for non-fiction? Lots don't and I get that. But for me I have less room for fiction, especially motorcycle fiction (see my comment on the Listopia above). I guess I am inspired by what people really do rather than what an author thinks people might do. I understand that even non-fiction/autobiography is often fiction in some fashion. But this becomes part of the fun of an intellectual exercise to suss out the fraud.

To satisfy a reader like you, I am trying to think of what I might use as a plot to keep you interested. The road, the people for sure. What plot or sub-plot type could wrap it all up and catch your interest?

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Winters Sure, pass along the nonfiction. I've read some, mainly motorcycle racing related, but I've also got some nonfiction running stories on my to want to read list too.

message 8: by Marc (new)

Giovanna on Cross Country: Fifteen Years ...

"I think almost any book is improved with a map. But a book called 'Cross Country', about driving across the US, really has no excuse not having a map."

I agree 100%